Another refugee from Bnet arriving

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Another refugee from Bnet arriving

Post by mlarue75 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 am

Well, the Hindus in my neighborhood are polytheists and they have a temple -- so they're organized!
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by mlarue75 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am

And there is (or used to be) a coven in my old Philadelphia neighborhood. It wasn't just that they got lonely, they wanted to have New Moon celebrations and all, and it's hard to do that kind of circle alone. I don't know if they still exist or what their membership and leadership criteria are/were.
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:23 am

I was speaking more about dogma than I was a simple gathering.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mlarue75 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:56 am

Ah. I see. That makes sense. This stupid Western dualism -- people love to divide up the world into true believers v. followers of Satan, and if they have the means, they might just do away with anyone who doesn't agree. I am lucky never to have been involved with those groups, which probably explains why I don't "get it."

Changing the subject, my nephew was telling me about a "Queer Theology" discussion group at his university. I wish I could visit. I'll bet a lot of this stuff comes up for discussion!
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Well Mary. I believe that you can have spirituality & belong to an organized religion at the same time. Now as for myself. I don't belong to any organized religion & haven't since I left Christianity in 2000 at the young age of 55. Now I don't know about Jewish pot lucks but I do know about Episcopalian Pot Lucks as I once was a EYC Leader. And Lutheran Pot Lucks where the desert was always something made with green jello. I'll have to take your word for it or ask my good friend Leah about Jewish pot lucks.

Back to top Go down

Post by mlarue75 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi! The Methodist potlucks are best of all. The green jello may have been "Under the Sea Salad," which my mother taught me to make: First put down a layer of cream cheese, then artistically stick in various canned fruit (pears, pineapples, etc.) until it resembles the ocean floor. Top with green jello.

I hope I can have spirituality & religion both. Especially since some days I'm so tired I can only go through the motions but at least I have made some attempt to connect with Ultimate Reality or whatever it calls itself these days.
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:32 pm

Mary I am sure you can have both. I think loving caring people can manage both. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of those. Except on this forum Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mlarue75 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks. And I'm glad for the company!
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:54 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Mary I am sure you can have both. I think loving caring people can manage both. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of those. Except on this forum Very Happy

I agree!

When someone says they're 'religious' I smile, back away slowly, then run-- namely because "religious" is not typically something I want to be around! But there are exceptions.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 pm

I was once told that my beliefs/spirituality and my religion were 2 different things that oddly worked together for me. A Venn diagram illustrates how I see it all coming together. One circle represents my beliefs and the other my religion. Some things they share and some things they don't....and that's just fine with me. Nobody at church said that I had to believe everything my religion teaches. Does this make any sense, or am I just further convincing you all that I'm crazy??? LOL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:03 pm

I think you are right. There are a lot of pew sitters that think uh-huh, uh-huh, no not buying that, maybe, do you know how ridiculous that sounds, okay we sort of agree on the big things, see you next week!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Exactly....just because they don't voice what they disagree with, doesn't mean they are just following along like sheep!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Hippie With me I'm still confused about the "nowadays" stuff.
All the arguing, fighting, whose right, whose wrong, hell fire, brim stone, reconstruction, devil worship, devil made me do it, I'm wrong, your right, going to hell with this one, or that one, the constant groupings.
I was raised in an immigrant extended family, that on the outside were devout Catholics, worked for Jews, listened to Billy Graham, Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Dr. Martin Luther King, & understood different religions & cultures. Within the home they brought the old ways of the old country with them, to include the evil eye, witches, folk tales, bone of life, hand of fortune, connected with the dead, talked to spirits, celebrated holidays differently, believed in the healing of the body, along with mind over matter .
I'm more spiritual than religious... I enjoy great company doesn't matter your beliefs or religion. I respect others, & love to be treated the same.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Teka on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Amen Willow! Look for the good heart and ignore everything else (if possible).

Maybe we have found a tolerance test here. LOL Probably if you can eat green jello you can get along with anyone. In our family we mash cream cheese and pears together and stir into green jello. Looks like pale green stuff with white dots. Right tasty, sacramental food for a eco friendly congregation?

Teka

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Very Happy Teka! We must be making "Friends for Life" here on this site! Our congregation should get together one day! Such excitement, & what a great time it would be!

At Christmas time/Yule (we celebrated Christmas Eve!) One of my Aunts used to make a delish jello! I could NEVER get enough of it!
Green jello with fruits (bottom) Philly Cream Cheese middle, Red Jello with nuts on top! It was better than cake! YUM YUM!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by mlarue75 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Very Happy One of my Aunts used to make a delish jello! I could NEVER get enough of it!
Green jello with fruits (bottom) Philly Cream Cheese middle, Red Jello with nuts on top! It was better than cake! YUM YUM!
WOW that sounds good! Walnuts, pecans, or --? Clap
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:04 pm

I planted a black walnut in my garden last years, it is almost three feet tall now. One day it will have walnuts Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:19 pm

My aunt makes an awesome dish with red and green jellow....so I just asked my mother what was between the 2 colors....and she said "white." Now you all know where I get my insanity from!!! Apparently, she has no idea what the white stuff is....now I'm gonna have to find out! LOL

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:23 pm

oh Beribee LMAO!

There is white between the cookies of a hydrox too Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:25 pm

LOL Maine....I don't think it's the same white stuff though! That would taste icky (I think!)!

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:37 pm

hee hee ooopps

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Gee, my Mom cuts up cherries -dark red sweet ones - and puts them in the 'fluff' she makes with lime Jello. But the 'white' in her fluff is ice cream......

Speaking of colorful foods - the Bloort kitty is keeping watch on our dinner-to-be while the husband is washing out the biiig! pot for me : )) Dinner-to-be is waving their rubber-banded claws about and probably wondering why it's low tide already....

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Teka on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:25 am

Lobster? Ah well .........er...boiling water? This I could not do. But I hope you enjoy. Bon Appetit.

Teka

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:45 am

LeahOne wrote:Gee, my Mom cuts up cherries -dark red sweet ones - and puts them in the 'fluff' she makes with lime Jello. But the 'white' in her fluff is ice cream......

Speaking of colorful foods - the Bloort kitty is keeping watch on our dinner-to-be while the husband is washing out the biiig! pot for me : )) Dinner-to-be is waving their rubber-banded claws about and probably wondering why it's low tide already....

Aw, poor lobsters ... but I guess most other livestock isn't treated better.

But just curious: aren't you Jewish? I thought lobster and the like were a big no-no? Wink

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:00 pm

*sigh* It's hard to turn 'em down when they arrive at your door.....husband's family has figured out not to serve us pork products, but one of his uncles sent us some from out on the Cape.

As for the 'big no-no', we are Recon/Reform. In point of fact, 'not kosher' is 'not kosher', even if it's beef, chicken or (scaled) fish. And kashrut falls mostly under 'ritual observance' as opposed to 'ethics'.

Actually, the lobsters don't find out they're in pain soon enough to be upset - which is the idea behind kosher slaughtering. (And these poor guys were sitting in a cooler with dry ice, so they were kind of 'slow' to begin with). Along with treating the assorted critters with compassion before they get turned into dinner.

In my vision of a perfect world, borscht(Russian beet soup) would be treyf....but I can't think of a theologically-based reason for that!

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top