Jews for Jesus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jews for Jesus

Post by maya3 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:05 am

This might not be the right board for this question, so feel free to move it if it should be somewhere else.

The other day I was handed a pamphlet from a Jews for Jesus organization. I didn't read it, I handed it back when I saw what it was, maybe I shouldn't have because then I might not have to ask now.

Anyway, I don't really understand the Jews for Jesus concept. Aren't ALL Christians Jews for Jesus?
Wasn't Jesus Jewish, and isn't the Old testament the same as the Torah?
If you are a Christian then you read the Torah with an addition of the new testament about Jesus.
Aren't you a Jew for Jesus then?

I'm confused.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Re: Jews for Jesus

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 am

NO!!!!!! Jews for Jesus was dreamed up strictly to convert Jews by the Evangelicals. They tell Jews they will still be Jewish, just now they will be "completed." The truth is that if you follow Jesus then you are a Christian, not a member of the Jewish faith.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:25 pm

The only people who could possibly be considered "Jews for Jesus" are people who are ethnically Jewish, but are religiously Christian. Make no mistake about it, they are theologically Christian though, and are trying to trick other people.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Agreed. In addition the JeJ movement is evangellically based. The organization was started by a jewish man who converted to Christianity in 1973, Then Martin Rossi, the founder of the organizaiton, became a baptist minister and became part of the American Board of the Missions. to the Jews. The founder has used deceptive practices, the organization is comprised of evangelical ministers in a variety of guises. There is nothing in the organization that has anything remotely connected to any Judaic practice.

Here is one link that can point you to others, Maya:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/anti-semitism/Jews_for_Jesus.html
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks guys.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Ditto what was said above.

My husband is ethnically Jewish although no longer observant. It is most unwise to mention Jews for Jesus to him.

I agree with his take, "They may once have been Jews, but now they're Christians."

Someone in this movement who is ethnically Jewish or who had formally converted to Judaism but now claims to be a Jew for Jesus would be regarded as an apostate Jew by other Jews.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Maya, they are frauds and fakes who have declared spiritual genocide against my people.

And that's the KINDEST way I can put it. It is a MISSIONARY GROUP where many of the members pretend to be 'Jewish' in some fashion, even changing their names to amke them more 'Jewish' sounding. They claim to be 'rabbis', who've graduated from a Baptist Seminary....

At least HAMAS are honest about their intent and feelings towards the Jewish People (about 99% f us are Zionists) - 'j4j' are no less our enemies.

It's my humble opinion that decent Christians should condemn j4j every bit as much as they condemn 'Christian Identity' and other purportedly Christian abominations. BUt instead, many of the SB churches send 'em money.....

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:12 am

'Jews for Jesus' is a marketing trick.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Jews for Jesus

Post by river8101 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 am

Jews for Jesus is supported by the Baptist Church. It has nothing to do with Judaism.
river8101

Back to top Go down

Post by river8101 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:35 am

Jews 4 Jesus is a Christian movement that began in the 1970s combining a mixture of Jewish ritual and Christianity. There are a vast and growing numbers of these groups, and they differ in how much Jewish ritual is mixed with conventional Christian belief. One end of the spectrum is represented by Jews For Jesus, who simply target Jews for conversion to Christianity using imitations of Jewish ritual solely as a ruse for attracting the potential Jewish converts. On the other end are those who don't stress the divinity of Jesus, but present him as the "Messiah." They incorporate distorted Jewish ritual on an ongoing basis." http://www.messiahtruth.com/response.html
river8101

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 am

Do you know what I wonder? I wonder if the Evangelicals might not have created inadvertently a monster - or what they might consider later a monster. I think this first step, converting someone to accept Jesus, doesn't necessarily lead to that person believing the Evangelical party line.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Gilly, we can always hope!

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:46 pm

There are a couple of web sites that may help those who want more information:
How to reply when the doorbell rings and Why Jews don't Believe in Jesus
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Hee! There's a pagan version of that.

We are the Other People

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Hee! There's a pagan version of that.

We are the Other People

I got halfway through before I

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:20 pm

I the that piece "We are the other people"

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:15 pm

EVen if such a thing as a Jew for Jesus existed, such a Jew would be considered an idolator under Judaism. The OT clearly states in Numbers 23:19 that 'God is not a man.' Jesus, assuming he actually existed, was obviously a man, which means, according to the OT, he could not be a god. Therefore, any Jew that followed Christianity is an idolator, because they worship that which is not and can not be a god.

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top