What are you reading now?

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:28 am

gillyflower wrote:Eh, small town libraries.... It is and isn't that they can't afford "real" librarians. Many can't and then again many are given the money by the state to pay the wages of a professional librarian and choose to spend that money on materials instead. Or they belong to a regional group that chooses to centralize the professional librarians who are supposed to buy for and train and help the small libraries.

Thanks for that insider info, Gilly. I didn't know that's how public library funding is often allocated. We only dealt sketchily with public library administration in my training since everyone in my classes was preparing to be a school librarian.

But Dot put her finger on the real problem. Some of the librarians are good and strive for a balanced collection. Others will only cater to the people they want to and then you get, for example, Christian collections, at least around here. They totally ignore everyone else. It is really sad when that happens.

When I asked one small-town librarian why there was nothing at all on Asian religions, she explained that most books were donated and that she only bought books that she felt would interest the majority of townsfolk. I certainly had no difficulty believing that the majority of that collection was donated. She'd hardly have needed to keep circulation stats, because I'd be willing to bet most of those aged, yellowing dogs never left the shelf.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:36 am

Did you train to be a school librarian, Dot? I didn't know that!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:32 am

Wink I've noticed that they have fliers up about "Job openings"& you have to go to Lake Charles to apply! pirat We're on to something here. Right now with taking care of MIL, & possibly going to Iraq for a hitch with my unit, in Jan 10, I can't do it right now, but beside teaching, Librarian would be up my alley! Very Happy
Dot, thats another idea, (our school systems here are VERY "religious/political) what courses do you take to be a school librarian? Open up their minds when their young! Razz
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Currently reading Julie & Julia by Julie Powell. You likely have seen the hype for the forthcoming movie starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child.

The book is really well written and FUNNY. Premise is that Powell decided to try cooking every recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year. When she set out to accomplish this, she couldn't even identify a chicken gizzard, describing them as "one of those things in the paper bag that comes out of the chicken's bum."

Having read Child's My Life In France, I could do without the interspersed imagined reconstructions of moments in Julia and Paul Child's lives, but the rest of the book is very entertaining.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 pm

gillyflower wrote:Did you train to be a school librarian, Dot? I didn't know that!

Yep, worked as a public high school librarian for three years until I realized that it was more of a data job than a people job overall. I'd probably do well as a research librarian as I love problem-solving of that sort, but when I inherited around a thousand items needing to be cataloged and classified with the job, I spent a school year and a half doing not much more than that. The previous librarian hadn't taken a "cat and class" course; many of those items had no catalog kit available anyway even if we could have afforded to order that many, and so she simply stuck them all on storage room shelves. I got very familiar indeed with Dewey, Sears headings and the Cutter book (although why Cutter numbering was adopted for that tiny school's library is beyond me!)

I've actually had only 16 hours of library science, but my instructor said she believed in "theory-lite" and how-to heavy. She did a tremendous job of preparing her students to walk into a school (or public) library and do the job.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 pm

That's cool. The track at the school I went for a MLIS to was very different for media librarians and public/academic librarians. They took a couple of courses with us then they were gone, doing their own thing.

I picked up a new book that looks very interesting. The Evolution of God by Robert Wright.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm a Trustee of our local library. I never really realized just how much the library does until I joined!

I'm currently reading The Book of Love by Kathleen McGowan. I think I should have read her first book first, but I felt like being a rebel! LOL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm reading "Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourtand (RIP) This book hooked me by the second paragraph.....

http://books.google.com/books?id=XFVXsLCYdmQC&dq=Angela's+Ashes&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=lYZwSqS8FZDgtgOCt9H0CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Wink Dot, thats another idea, (our school systems here are VERY "religious/political) what courses do you take to be a school librarian? Open up their minds when their young! Razz

Each state has different requirements, Willow, so you'd have to check with your state's teacher certification department to find out what is required.

Back when I got my library science training 30 years ago, you could be a school librarian in Kansas with only 15 hours of library science coursework. Later, it was changed to a major in library science at somewhere around 32 hours.

I had courses in selecting materials for school libraries, reference books, library administration, the aforementioned cataloging and classification course, among others.

I did enjoy doing special events in the library. We used to rent free old-time movies with a cartoon once each quarter. You'd get about 45 minutes of Laurel and Hardy, Three Stooges, Marx Bros., etc. short flicks with an old-time cartoon on 16mm film (those were the days of threading the projector to show a movie!). Since the school had a study hall somewhere every hour, the study hall teacher could send those kids to the library to watch the movies and have a break from trying to deal with study hallers whose main interest was anything but studying. Or if a classroom teacher wanted to reward the class, they might take a break from work and come watch the movies. The teachers loved free-movies-in-the-library days!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay_ho_tze on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Typically, I have up to half a dozen books going at any given time -
presently I only have four:

Awakening
by Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan
The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra (read it in the 70's - revisiting it now)
Tibetan Magic and Mysticism by J. H. Brennan
The Mayan Code by Barbara Hand Clow

Nay_ho_tze

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Nay_ho_tze - how are you liking 'Tao of Physics' ?
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Whew! Just finished Elissa Wall's book, Stolen Innocence, about her having blown the whistle on Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints for marrying off underage girls.

That poor young woman had three miscarriages and a stillborn child before she was SIXTEEN!

Initially, I wasn't so sure I wanted to read it, but it really is a compelling look into a lifestyle and belief system that I found unimaginably foreign.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Started Bart Ehrmann's latest, Jesus Interrupted, which details a historical-critical approach to reading and understanding the New Testament. Very interesting!

Ehrmann sets forth the idea that the various Gospel writers were trying to emphasize a theological point of view in how they presented the nature of Jesus. Thus, only Matthew and Luke mention Jesus's birth whereas Mark and John focus upon Jesus as an adult. What is omitted from an account can point us toward what the writer thinks is most important about Jesus, Ehrmann maintains.

He further argues that the devotional reading most people learn to do which blends elements of the Gospels results in some striking contradictions as well as working against a meaningful understanding of who these writers believed Jesus to be and what his significance was.

Fascinating, thus far!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:04 pm

the first part isn't controversial at all

if I can do this from memory (forgive me if i get it wrong)

matthew-Jesus' Jewishness and fulfillment of OT
mark-Jesus' humanity
luke-Jesus' universalness
john-Jesus' deity
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:36 am

Davelaw wrote:the first part isn't controversial at all

I agree, Dave, and wish that more people would read this book, but likely those who'd benefit most from it will never open it due to Ehrman's having "come out" recently as an agnostic.

Ehrman (and why I keep adding an extra "n" to his name, I don't know) is simply demonstrating that a historical-critical approach to the Bible negates many of the apparent contradictions arising from a devotional reading that combines all four of the Gospels into a "biography" of Jesus, so to speak. When you do the latter, you get the manifold contradictions such as on precisely what day and time Jesus died and so forth.

Instead, Ehrman maintains that a reader gets a better understanding of what theological point each of the Four Evangelists wishes to emphasize when each book--Matthew, Mark, Luke and John--is read as if it is a book entirely independent of the other three.

I agree with his point that pastors may well prefer not abandoning the devotional approach to the Bible during services but heartily agree that adult ed classes are a terrific place to get into the historical-critical approach.

matthew-Jesus' Jewishness and fulfillment of OT
mark-Jesus' humanity
luke-Jesus' universalness
john-Jesus' deity

I'd only quibble with "fulfillment of the OT," as Ehrman regards most of that as interpretation by far later Christians which dramatically skews in most cases what the original OT writer's reference likely was--to an event of his own time or nearly so.

Otherwise, I think you've generalized pretty well...near as I can tell having only read about 1/5 of the book thus far.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay_ho_tze on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Sakhaiva - I am finding The Tao of Physics as amazing as it was the first time I read it,
only now I have a few decades of life experience through which to view it
and as such am discovering concepts I missed the first time around ...
it is also providing validation in areas of life on which 'the jury was still out'
*lol*
Thanks for asking.
Have you read it or are you book shopping?
-NHT

Nay_ho_tze

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:01 pm

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:12 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Whew! Just finished Elissa Wall's book, Stolen Innocence, about her having blown the whistle on Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints for marrying off underage girls.

That poor young woman had three miscarriages and a stillborn child before she was SIXTEEN!

Initially, I wasn't so sure I wanted to read it, but it really is a compelling look into a lifestyle and belief system that I found unimaginably foreign.

I read that one too....what an amazing story!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Beribee and Dot
That sounds interesting. I would like to read it too.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Embarassed DoNotInOz...So sorry for not getting back over here to tell you Thank You for your comment on Librarians & courses. I will look into that!

You all are reading some very interesting books, I'll be looking them up at our local library, OR requesting them being sent from across our state! Cross fingers for me, hope I'm not disappointed in their selections. silent
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:16 am

I just picked up The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama and The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff. Should be interesting.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:34 pm

The Help by Kathryn Stockett is a must-read. (New enough that it's only in hardbound as yet, but Sam's Club has it for around $15.)

I haven't encountered such believable characters for some time.

The plot develops by means of the viewpoints of three Mississippi women, ca. the early 1960's--two black housekeepers and a white intellectual who decides to put together a book revealing what it's like to be "help" in white households.

Stockett's ability to capture distinct character voices is remarkable. You'll find yourself feeling that you know these three women personally by the time you've finished The Help.

I'm picky about what I read, and it's been a loooong time since I sat up until I'd finished a book, but this one was that compelling. Highly recommended!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:18 pm

Fiction, I'm slowly worming my way through Anthema

nonfiction, my morning Christian based meditative reading is currently structured around the writings of Oswald Chambers
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:38 pm

I recently read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dance and really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it.

Now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I'm loving it!!!

And I hear Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters will be out next!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Did you know they have book 'trailers' on Youtube? Here you go.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzowFJTApfY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZVE5uF24Q
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top