What are you reading now?

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Ohhhh, goody! Another Outlander series fan. How far into Snow & Ashes are you? It's a good one, I thought. Well, actually, ALL of those have been good. What am I saying?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by redheadedmomma on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Ohhhh, goody! Another Outlander series fan. How far into Snow & Ashes are you? It's a good one, I thought. Well, actually, ALL of those have been good. What am I saying?

I agree 100%. I'm maybe a third of the way through ABOSAA. Before I had Outlander read I joined the Outlander yahoo group. Diana Gabaldon came to Asheville recently but I didn't get to see her. It cost $30, the price of the new book to get in. I was reading Dragonfly in Amber when a cousin of mine gave me 30 plus pages of our family history going back to Scotland to the year1028. We did immigrate before Culloden though.
redheadedmomma

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 pm

redheadedmomma wrote:A breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

Blood Done Sign My name by Tim Tyson

Irish Myths and Legends by Lady Gregory

I like Gregory because her translations are quite readable, however if you want more accurate translations, I'd suggest you read texts like

Tales of the Elders of Ireland by Anne Dooley and Harry Roe, which is a wonderful translation of the Acallam na Senórach, recounting many of the Fennian cycle tales.

As for stuff dealing with the Tuatha De Dannan, there are electronic versions of Cath Maige Tuired available as well, I'd suggest haveing a gander here

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:52 pm

I recently finished burning through the Percy Jackson series, got to say I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 pm

I saw the movie! It was very cute.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

redheadedmomma wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:Ohhhh, goody! Another Outlander series fan. How far into Snow & Ashes are you? It's a good one, I thought. Well, actually, ALL of those have been good. What am I saying?

I agree 100%. I'm maybe a third of the way through ABOSAA. Before I had Outlander read I joined the Outlander yahoo group. Diana Gabaldon came to Asheville recently but I didn't get to see her. It cost $30, the price of the new book to get in. I was reading Dragonfly in Amber when a cousin of mine gave me 30 plus pages of our family history going back to Scotland to the year1028. We did immigrate before Culloden though.

You'll understand me then when I tell you that I honestly re-read Outlander seven or eight times before Dragonfly In Amber was published.

This has to be one of the best series I've ever read. Not a dud among them...so far. Hope I didn't jinx it by saying that.

The only thing I dislike is that the publisher changed the jackets from the lovely pictorial designs of the first three books (Wasn't Voyager the last to have a jacket picture?) to these ugly solid-colored ones. Yick!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:22 pm

gillyflower wrote:I saw the movie! It was very cute.
Argh! I'll admit the film had its moments, but so very many things wrongm and not little niggling details, but central plot points. It was kind of like Quirrel turning out to be the real villian in Harry Potter...

And the depiction of hades and Hades was rather disappointing, if not down right insulting.. maybe I just have a soft spot for cthonic deities, but Hades as Satan wasn't doing it for me.

Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

So, the books are good you think, Gorm?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:27 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:So, the books are good you think, Gorm?

I thoroughly enjoyed them. I mean they aren't high litterature by any stretch of the imagination, and cna be a little predictable at times, but for a quick read or a good childrens series they're tops. It handles the greek myths in an interesting and inventive way.

I'm actually eagerly awaiting the next cycle in the series.

Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:32 pm

I've noticed that they are very popular in the library with adults. I tried to get them on audiobooks because of that.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Okay; This week I ordered

The FBI Handbook of Crime Scene Forensics and The Forensic Casebook: The Science of Crime Scene Investigation.

Unlike most of my books, I actually plan to read these. I feel guilty for having laid out of school this semester (really had no choice) so plan to study these on my own. I chose the Forensic Casebook because while factual, it doesn't appear to be textbook-boring and will be an enjoyable way to learn new info.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Cool!

I am in the middle of 1421: The Year China Discovered America.
http://www.amazon.com/1421-Year-China-Discovered-America/dp/0061564893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266974020&sr=8-1

It's pretty good so far.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 pm

I am in the midst of writing a novel instead of reading one at the moment. It has exploding zombies in it. Smile

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I call for a signed copy.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:54 pm

It's crap at the moment. First draft and all that. Smile

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm calling for a signed copy, too! I just finished reading The Te of Piglet....pretty good book! Now I've started reading Twilight......my sons are disgusted with me! LOL I just wanted some mindless reading for awhile...yeesh!!! There's something very wrong with 15 year old boys trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't be reading! LOL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 pm

A couple of my daughters love the Twilight series. They said it really nails how it feels to be in love for the first time.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

I want a signed copy as well.

The whole glitter thing in Twilight gave me the giggles.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm

I haven't seen the movies.....oooohhh....I could make my sons watch them with me. I'm such an evil mother sometimes! he he he.....

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Beribee wrote:I haven't seen the movies.....oooohhh....I could make my sons watch them with me. I'm such an evil mother sometimes! he he he.....

Bribe them. The two Twilight films in exchange for a viewing of The Lost Boys.

One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn
vampires.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Oh, my, I thought that the Twilight films were very nearly embarrassingly bad and funny in the wrong places.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 pm

gillyflower wrote:Oh, my, I thought that the Twilight films were very nearly embarrassingly bad and funny in the wrong places.

But Lost Boys, on the other hand, was brilliant.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 am

Might try them then. We've been wanting something along the lines of the Harry Potters now that that series has concluded.

I do hope that Rowlings won't give in to urgings to take Harry and friends on into their adult careers. She gave us a glimpse of them as parents sending their own kids off to Hogwarts. Good enough, IMO.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 pm

I totally agree Dot.....the Harry Potter series ended exactly when it should have. I certainly hope JK Rowling doesn't add on to it...UGH!

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Okay! I decided to try the Kindle out for the iPhone and downloaded The Lightning Thief. I'll give the app a try (something I wanted to do) while I get to read a good book!

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top