What are you reading now?

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 pm

cheers I found out this past week, that I can request my library books from my computer here @ home! Life is amazing, if the right questions are asked! Laughing
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:53 pm

I've started reading "Tales of the Elders of Ireland" which is a recent translation of the Colloquy of the Ancients of Ireland, the most extensive collection of Fenian tales, and so far it has been quite good.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:59 am

Rereading Norse Poetry. Its a decent nineteenth century translation of the saga poems. Honestly, you need a translator that has some talent at poetry or it scans a little like the joke Haiku shirt.

"Haiku holds many truths,
except when it doesn't
Refrigerator"

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:29 am

Embarassed I'm sorry, Borrowed a book from John. I'm reading The Gift of Fear, by Gavin De Becker! Talks about working w our gut instincts when we are faced with fear. An inner trust within ourselves that takes the place of "freaking out". Seems to be interesting enough so far, right up my alley!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Dropped all my serious reading for the latest in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, An Echo In the Bone, which arrived via UPS yesterday. I swear this is the BEST series ever...well, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series ranks pretty close, but the Outlander books are my absolute favorite.

If you like masterfully written, densely detailed historical fiction and haven't happened onto this series, you are missing a feast. I love the way the author weaves time travel into the plots...and this one's no exception. Simply stunning!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm

One of my daughters likes that series a lot. She just recently discovered it. I'm rereading some Manning Coles books that have been reissued, A Toast to Tomorrow and Drink to Yesterday.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Lately, I have been nosing around the interwebs for info on lasagna gardening, aka, sheet composting or no-dig gardening. I had to prep some flowerbeds for spring and I am far too lazy to double dig.

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Try Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening. You don't have to dig much at all if you can find something to make raised beds. Just set out a four foot square and fill it with soil, although as I recall, Bartholomew suggests lining the enclosed bed so you don't have as much weed invasion.

You can easily grow enough to feed two people pretty adequately with only a single square bed this size, since you can double-crop many of the one-foot squares, depending upon what you choose to plant.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by wiscidea on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:48 am

Simultaneously...

Richard Dawkins—"Unweaving the Rainbow". Perhaps, after about 10 years, a bit dated. I hope the next chapter is better. I like his ideas... I'm not fond of his writing ability.

Alan Watts—"Nature, Man and Woman". Just bought it today. Perhaps, although written 51 years ago, more timely than ever. I've been reading a lot about the problems of duality... mind/body, spiritual/non-spiritual, natural/unnatural. Looks like this book covers it. I think most of modern problems emerge from trying to draw sharp boundaries between interrelated—no, interwoven—phenomena.

Percy Bysshe Shelley—"The Complete Poems of Percy Bysshe Shelley". From the library, but I'm going to have to purchase a copy. I have to admit that first reading about Shelley is helping me get much more out of this.

I'm not really qualified to discuss any of this, but I'll try if anyone is interested. I'd like to learn more about Watts and Shelley.

wiscidea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:09 am

I've been reading through John Michael Greer's "A world full of Gods: An inquiry into polytheism", so far it has been very, very good. It is one of the few books I have been able to find which actually approaches polytheism from a theological perspective.

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in some of the theological and philosophical arguments behind polytheism.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:31 pm

So a number of years ago, I reviewed a book called 'Shot at and Missed' by a local man named Jack Myers:

http://www.amazon.com/Shot-At-Missed-Recollections-Bombardier/dp/0806136952/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259515774&sr=8-1

I sort of struck a friendship with the man and he just gave me a copy of is most recent book to review for the paper.

http://www.amazon.com/Co-Pilots-Demons-Jack-R-Myers/dp/0981937624/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259515850&sr=1-1

I need to read it today, but I am not sure if I am in the mood for WWII stories. I'll let you know how good it is.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:58 pm

The Gathering Storm (Robert Jordan's death not helping release dates)
Torch of Freedom (Webber better end the series before he dies)
The Illiad (Homer is dead, but at least he finished first)
Dorsai- oddly dissapointing as a re-read. Dickson struck me as amazing when I read him first, but having read his take on war after having shot/been shot at a few times I can honestly say he should have read his Von Clausewitz before taking up the pen. Its as pie in the sky as Clancy's later works.

PS World full of Gods is a really good look at polytheism by an academic polytheist. He's pretty good at defining his scope and staying within his topics. A worthy read.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Read "The Road" last night. Very interesting book. I recommend it. It's coming out as a movie. Can't wait to see it. This is one of those books that I think the movie will do it justice.

Just started "The Town" by Bentley Little. I love Little's stories.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:05 pm

John T Mainer wrote:
Dorsai- oddly dissapointing as a re-read. Dickson struck me as amazing when I read him first, but having read his take on war after having shot/been shot at a few times I can honestly say he should have read his Von Clausewitz before taking up the pen. Its as pie in the sky as Clancy's later works.

a) I wish Dickson had stopped with "Soldier Ask Not": it may not strike a chord with you soldiers; but it certainly is a cautionary tale to those of us raised a fundamental Bible literalists; and of course you have to read his juvenile novels about the Right to Arm Bears: but I always though His Childe Cycle was too grandiose and just an attempt to best Asimov.

I do wonder what you think is Pie in the Sky about holding Andropov responsible for the botched assassination attempt on the Pope (Red Rabbit) or giving the son and nephews of the former President the license to kill terrorists by summary execution (Teeth of the Tiger) ?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:34 pm

He drifted away from reality, and started believing in magic weapons. If the weapons really performed as well as they advertised, the enemy wouldn't record any kills. Sadly, the friends I have buried lead me to the inescapable conclusion that the best plans do not assume that your deception plans will work, assume your supplies will most likely be at least half lost/destroyed, and that the enemy will have at least one unit where you absolutely cannot afford them to be.

The enemy is also trying to win. No cammo is proof against an alert soldier, and no nation has a monopoly on good troops.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

you must be referring to the Bear and the Dragon; not to Red Rabbit
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:40 pm

John T Mainer wrote:

The enemy is also trying to win. No cammo is proof against an alert soldier, and no nation has a monopoly on good troops.

AKA the First Law of Battle? Meeting the enemy will Fuck Up your Battle Plans-that's why we call them the enemy?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:52 pm

That would be the one. Red Storm Rising showed an awareness that Bear and the Dragon forgot. Howard Coyle's works show a better awareness of how friction works in the real world.

I don't think in all my years I saw a single plan that worked the way it was written and briefed.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 pm

John T Mainer wrote:That would be the one. Red Storm Rising showed an awareness that Bear and the Dragon forgot. Howard Coyle's works show a better awareness of how friction works in the real world.

I don't think in all my years I saw a single plan that worked the way it was written and briefed.

I was confused because Red Rabbit came after; but was set in the 80's and was all spy craft and police work.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Vorrin on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

I have an odd relationship with books. On Friday I went to donate some cash to the Salvation Army and I always look for rare books in their sale area. I was looking through and not finding anything when a man brought back a copy of Deepak Choppra's "The Third Jesus" He laid it on the shelf and I snagged it up. I felt I was meant to have the book. I happily paid my $2 for it. I read the first chapter and fell in love. I reccomend it just on that to anyone who has issues with mainstream Christianity.

I like his declaration of the three Jesus'. The first being the historical Rabbi/Teacher. The second being the Jesus of the church. The third being the reconciliation of the two. The Jesus of peace and love with relevance to the modern world and the modern church. Great book so far.
Vorrin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:28 pm

For those still lamenting the demise of the late great Molly Ivins, I heartily recommend the recently published biography, Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life. It's exceedingly well written.

I've learned much that I didn't know about her and her background. For instance, I'd no idea that like Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Ivins was fluent in French and had done the junior year in Paris thing.

I thought her background was likely similar to mine, middle-class and largely uninterested in traditional women's roles. On the contrary, I've learned that she came from a quite wealthy family and probably would have become a socialite had the love of her life not died in a motorcycle accident shortly before Ivins graduated from college.

Who'da thunk it?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by costrel on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Since I've been stranded by myself for the Holidays, I have been reading the writings of Emerson. I particularly find his Abolition and Emancipation papers interesting. And as soon as I can get a copy of it, I plan to begin reading Jean-Paul Sartre's Being and Nothingness.
costrel

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:48 pm

"Under The Dome" by Stephen King. My sister in law got it for me for Xmas. Hubby's family all think I'm insane because I have it (over 1000 pages) and Angels and Demons going.
I put A&D aside to read "UTD" though. So far it's very good.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm

"Forever and the Night" - Linda Lael Miller

Verrry good!
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down