New OS?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New OS?

Post by Dromahair on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 am

SeventhCrow wrote:I wonder if those of us with Intel machines who are using Tiger will get a break on this release. I might fuss a bit if Leopard users get a significant break and Tiger users don't.

Feel free to fuss.

Leopard is the current OS. Users of past operating systems (Tiger, Jaguar, Panther or LOLcat) will have to make do with the normal pricing structure. >>shrug<<
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:49 am

And when enough of us using Tiger or whatever fuss, then Apple has to take notice. Apple's customer base is not so large as to make it wise to ignore blocs of disgruntled customers. We do have other options when it comes to computers and operating systems.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Dromahair on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am

SeventhCrow wrote:And when enough of us using Tiger or whatever fuss, then Apple has to take notice. Apple's customer base is not so large as to make it wise to ignore blocs of disgruntled customers. We do have other options when it comes to computers and operating systems.

Oh come on my friend, I've been listening to these same threats for years. Bunch of folks got bees in their collective bonnets when Apple dropped OS-9 in favor of Unix based OS-X. The torches and pitchforks came out when Apple dropped the Power PC based architecture in favor of faster, cooler running Intel processors. People out there right now are bent out of shape because the new iPhone software does not provide all the features to those using the original iPhone as it does the newer models.

I guess I don't understand where the sense of entitlement come into the picture. Why should your decision to not upgrade your OS earn you the same benefits as those who did upgrade?
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:31 am

As before:

"It's being packaged as a new release entirely--the change from 10.5 to 10.6. If some users of earlier versions of OS 10 get a cheap upgrade, then I'm thinking all should. Or Apple should just call it OS 10.5.50 (or whatever) and send it along free to Leopard users."

I'm wondering why you'd think Leopard users should be entitled to a new release at a price the rest of us aren't.

I didn't fuss when Apple changed from OS 9 to 10, despite not being to upgrade right away--anybody who upgraded paid the same. I never fussed about the change to Intel machines--we picked up our Minis with Intel chips early on. I don't object to Apple changing things up. I object to Apple selling a major upgrade for a lower price to some users of previous OS versions and a much higher price to other users of previous versions.

Seems to me that the Leopard users are showing a sense of entitlement, here, maintaining that it's perfectly natural that they get a new OS for a lower price than other Mac users.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Yes, because I paid for it (Leopard). You pay for it and then I'll think that you should have the same upgrade for the same price that I do. I don't really understand why you think that you should get a cheap but full upgrade to an OS that you don't own.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dromahair on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:16 pm

It's very easy...,

OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) = Former operating system. Just like Panther, Jaguar, Puma and Cheetah are FORMER operating systems. Anything prior to Tiger is no longer supported at all. Tiger is only supported in that updates for iTunes and a scant few other applications are still made available in a form compatible with 10.4 (and I doubt you'll be seeing anymore such updates coming down the pike).

OS 10.5.7 (Leopard) = Current operating system. Support for Leopard will likely continue until sometime in 2011 when the last of the Power PC chipset models (anything running a G4 or G5) will turn 5-years-old (marking them as antique in computer terms).

OS 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) = Future operating system. Although actual "new features" will be few and far between, this does represent a complete re-write of the current OS and will only function on Intel Based machines. Apple is offering a low upgrade price to customers running the current OS - this is an incentive to get people to upgrade their OS even though few new features are being offered (beyond more support for business users and a significant speed boost). For Tiger uses this would represent a significant upgrade from their current OS with loads of new features - which translates into no discounted price for Tiger users.
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:31 am

Anyone else starting to get worried about Google approaching MS levels of ubiquity?
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:37 am

Apple rocks!

It's sad though that most people can't afford them. Apple should lower the prices a bit more still ...

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 am

I'm not sure about that, Celsus. They put out a quality product. I've had one of my apple computers 3-4 years and been happy with it all during that time. In the same space of time, one of my co-workers has gone through several computers. The first cheap one she bought was underpowered and she quickly bought another and gave that one to her kid, who also passed it on to a cousin when it didn't suit him either. They've now gone through several more, brought them in on a regular basis for the tech guy to beef up or fix, and she mentioned yesterday that she isn't happy with her computer, it's too slow, and needs a new one. With all the money she's spent, she could have had a more expensive computer, like I have, from the beginning.

Not saying that everyone needs a good computer, but if you work on a good one all day, you are not going to be happy with a wimpy cheap computer at home with slow internet access. IMO

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am

gillyflower wrote:I'm not sure about that, Celsus. They put out a quality product. I've had one of my apple computers 3-4 years and been happy with it all during that time. In the same space of time, one of my co-workers has gone through several computers. The first cheap one she bought was underpowered and she quickly bought another and gave that one to her kid, who also passed it on to a cousin when it didn't suit him either. They've now gone through several more, brought them in on a regular basis for the tech guy to beef up or fix, and she mentioned yesterday that she isn't happy with her computer, it's too slow, and needs a new one. With all the money she's spent, she could have had a more expensive computer, like I have, from the beginning.

Not saying that everyone needs a good computer, but if you work on a good one all day, you are not going to be happy with a wimpy cheap computer at home with slow internet access. IMO

I agree that it's probably a good deal over the long run! Especially since you rarely need a techie, are not bothered by viruses, etc.

But the starting prices are still quite high, and that's why a lot of people opt for Windows.

What I like about Apple is that BOTH the software and the hardware come from the same vendor! Everything fits nicely.

If I couldn't afford Apple then I'd probably go with Ubuntu though. Despite some hassles that Linux still presents ...

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Ubutu is cool but it's still not worth the hassles to me. I dual-boot and I probably haven't booted into Ubuntu in 6 months... video codecs have a really hard time there and I watch a lot of DVDs- no can do with Ubuntu.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:31 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Ubutu is cool but it's still not worth the hassles to me. I dual-boot and I probably haven't booted into Ubuntu in 6 months... video codecs have a really hard time there and I watch a lot of DVDs- no can do with Ubuntu.

google Medibuntu. And there's also a codec out there to watch encrypted DVDs ... would have to look that up.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Yeah, I got those. They try to play but it never works. Gah.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:31 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Yeah, I got those. They try to play but it never works. Gah.

Linux is still a bit more annoying. But I was able to play everything. Even the HD Quicktime thingies ...

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:34 pm

It tries to play for me but if you move the window or minimize it or open other window, it goes to solid black and all you get is audio. It could be that there's a RAM issue; though in Windows I'm able to open 40 things and still - barely - watch videos, and Windows is way more RAM consuming as an OS.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TaoJewGirl on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 am

The problem isn't Linux, it's btcak. I've never had a problem with Ubuntu (I dual boot, Ubuntu/Windows7 (I'm a beta tester for them)) with any machine that I've put it on.

And it IS user-friendly. You had to go through a 'learning curve' to learn how to use Windows. If you take three people who've never used computers and give them each a Linux, Mac and Windows box and let them learn, it will be much easier on Linux and Mac than Windows.

And I can have multiple desktops running and programs and watch videos fine on Ubuntu. No way even with Windows7, which I like much better than that abomination called Vista.

TaoJewGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:01 am

TaoJewGirl wrote:The problem isn't Linux, it's btcak. I've never had a problem with Ubuntu (I dual boot, Ubuntu/Windows7 (I'm a beta tester for them)) with any machine that I've put it on.

And it IS user-friendly. You had to go through a 'learning curve' to learn how to use Windows. If you take three people who've never used computers and give them each a Linux, Mac and Windows box and let them learn, it will be much easier on Linux and Mac than Windows.

And I can have multiple desktops running and programs and watch videos fine on Ubuntu. No way even with Windows7, which I like much better than that abomination called Vista.

btcak?

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TaoJewGirl on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Oh, sorry. Razz Between Chair And Keyboard, sometimes also spelled BKAC, Between Keyboard And Chair.

Or, old school, "Operator Error". Razz

TaoJewGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Well... I upgraded to Leopard and was disappointed... Because they stopped supporting OS9.

I have a large investment of 3D software that needed to be upgraded because they were all system 9 apps and didn't run on Leopard. I won't be upgrading to Snow because I'm still running on an old G4.

With a Mac you never really have to reinvest every year / other year unless your one of those large animation / gaming companies that need the upgrade in power to produce the cutting edge at the fastest possible output. And you really do not have to upgrade the OS. Not as many backdoors and bugs hiding in the works... (That used to be true pre Intel chips... now... not as much.)

My first Apple computer was a IIC from early 80's. Pre hard drive days. Had to put a 5 inch floppy disk in it to run. My First Mac was a Performa 550 which still runs System 8.5. 250 mg hard drive. It's 15 years old and runs like a champ... (slow as hell though)
hexpainter

http://www.hexpainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:57 pm

I upgraded yesterday and I have to say, Snow Leopard is very nice. Very easy install, too.

My first Mac, wasn't. It was a German clone from the early 80s. I remember the 5 inch floppies well.

My daughter is a graphic designer and she just finally updated to Leopard last week and lost a lot of fonts she was using.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:53 pm

I sympathize over the fonts... I'm still missing a few...

My Mac had a major brain freeze 2 weeks ago and I had to re-install everything on the Main Hard drive...

Thank goodness I had put 4 hard drives in it. My Music is in one, My Art is in another and the third is back-up... which I hadn't done in a awhile....

This will make me back up more often now...

I bought my wife a new windows laptop... It uses intel duo core processors...
I asked the nice salesman if we could run the Mac OS on it since some of the new Macs use Duo cores. He said Nope, because of some hardware configurations of graphic cards and sound cards... Figure they would do something to muck up cross platform compatibility...

But you can run Windows native on a Mac with Bootcamp... So you could run both on a Mac...
hexpainter

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:27 am

You going to downgrade the machine, Hex? You know, since it won't support your software?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 pm

My iPod won't work if I go backwards... Priorities... need my music when doing art.

I found out what the problem was that made the whole thing crash.

When I upgraded from 10.4 - 10.5 I had some programs that kept working even though they were system 9. It ended up corrupting OS files every time i used them till it got to a fatal non-boot up. (the old Sad Mac)

Still creating though!

hexpainter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 am

gillyflower wrote:I upgraded yesterday and I have to say, Snow Leopard is very nice. Very easy install, too.

My first Mac, wasn't. It was a German clone from the early 80s. I remember the 5 inch floppies well.

My daughter is a graphic designer and she just finally updated to Leopard last week and lost a lot of fonts she was using.

I'm going to upgrade to Snow Leopard soon too! Not a big overhaul but some nice subtle refinements Smile

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:26 am

hexpainter wrote:I sympathize over the fonts... I'm still missing a few...

My Mac had a major brain freeze 2 weeks ago and I had to re-install everything on the Main Hard drive...

Thank goodness I had put 4 hard drives in it. My Music is in one, My Art is in another and the third is back-up... which I hadn't done in a awhile....

This will make me back up more often now...

I bought my wife a new windows laptop... It uses intel duo core processors...
I asked the nice salesman if we could run the Mac OS on it since some of the new Macs use Duo cores. He said Nope, because of some hardware configurations of graphic cards and sound cards... Figure they would do something to muck up cross platform compatibility...

But you can run Windows native on a Mac with Bootcamp... So you could run both on a Mac...

You can run Windows even INSIDE of the Mac OS using a virtual machine (like VirtualBox, which is free, or VMWare Fusion). Then you can be both in MacOS and Windows at the same time and even transfer files from the one to the other.

As for backups: TimeMachine, part of the MacOS since Leopard, is brilliant!! It's virtually impossible to loose a file anymore. All you need is an external hard drive. TimeMachine does the rest. Restoring is also super easy.

Another neat thing is that you can clone your Mac hard drive to another (external) hard drive and then boot from that one if the first one fails for example.

Yes, I really love Macintoshs Wink

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum