New OS?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New OS?

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 am

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: New OS?

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:04 am

A lot of people are disenchanted with MS operating system, including myself. I have to wrestle with it all day long which is one reason I have Apple when I come home. I hope it does well.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:14 am

I have to say that ease-of-use wise, I really do like Microsoft. Having used MS since Windows95, I can run it blindfolded with one hand behind my back, and I know where everything's at and how to do anything I want to do. That's what frustrates me when I pick up a mac or linux, becauseI DON'T know that much about them, and then I get agitated trying to figure it out and go back to Windows.

What I dislike about Windows is their corporate mentality, how they try to smush out open source, and how unsafe their products are. People running out-of-the-box MS with Windows firewall and IE are doomed.

I am disenchanted with MS, however am caught in a bind as it's the easiest and best thing for me to use. So I find this interesting.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:33 am

Has anyone here heard anything about Snow Leopard?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 pm

No, Sg, I never have. I have alsways used the MS browser. I am a technical neophyte. Or maybe a luddite. Smile I have b een trying to use the Firefox browser. If I can get it figured out I might evn like it. Maybe. I am so glad you guys bring this stuff to me. Someday I might even learn something.
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 pm

We're just thankful you have something that works! Very Happy

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm on firefox. I started that after bnet went insane with their ads.

I'll check them out next time I need a new computer.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah, firefox is awesome.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:22 pm

OS = Operating System: it is the interface between you and the computer. Windows XP and Vista is what most pc owners use, followed by Linux. Leopard is the latest one by Apple. Snow Leopard is coming out (I heard) in September and will cost $29.99.

Web Browser = Internet Explorer (or IE) is used by many Windows users. Apple calls theirs Safari, Firefox can be used by both, and I have tried out Opera and OmniWeb which I kind of like.

For anyone who didn't know already. I saw a program where a lot of people weren't sure about the difference.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Yeah, I'm using Windows XP then. I only use the comp for internet and billing anyway, so I don't usually remember what I'm on.

Since I'm so limited in what I even want to use it for, I'll probably go with what is cheaper.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Linux is cool because it's free, but it's not for a novice to figure out unless they're just really computer-inclined.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 pm

I've heard that Apple is far easier for John & mines age group! Is this true? Question
Right now we've been a Microsoft, windows family. If we can chase the kids away from the puter, & all their free this and free that, not to mention their DOWNLOADS, we would be @ peace in our own little world! On the up side though, if we didn't have these tech savvy kids, John & I would still be with Windows 95! Pigeons
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 pm

I think Apple is much easier but then I am a Mac fan and have been for 25+ years. Also I have to help people use Microsoft products at work and it is very frustrating for all concerned. Apple is more stable and allows one click in places Microsoft needs two or more, IMO. But then again, I had Microsoft crash on me 5 times this morning while I was trying to order books for the new library. One of the tech guys switched out some RAM and we both hope that will cure the problem. (The tech guy is a Microsoft man, BTW.)

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Why thank you gilly, for your opinion! So this tech guy, Microsoft man? Cute? Wink
At least he'll always have a job! Hysterical
Really though, John & I adore game playing on the web, mostly MSN, and Yahoo! (We dare not venture far)...ok, I confess Pogo also. I'm in love with Rainy Day Spider Solitaire, especially on a Rainy Day!
Clap Heard Apple has its own brand of games...hopefully similar, are they compatible? Again, I'm researching here. Its been a thought of mine for awhile.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:18 am

There are online games for Macs. I only play once in a while so I am the wrong person to ask. Right now I am hooked on one that is on Facebook called Algerian Patience. It is a solitaire card game from Mindjolt. A lot of people on Facebook play games.

I do like playing games on the iPhone. I have Bejeweled and Mah Jong and Wordle and a fishing game and Spore and Blocked. It is fun to pass the time when I'm on break or waiting somewhere.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dromahair on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) will cost $29 for folks who are on Leopard (OS X 10.5), not sure what the full price will be.
Should be a much faster than the current Mac OS (which is no slouch).

When people ask me why they should switch from Windows to Mac I usually just suggest they read the install instructions for any piece of software that's installable on either system. After reading three pages of instructions for the Windows install vs. the 3-lines of text that will get the job done for the Mac, you tend to see the point.
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 am

We're running Tiger here (Mac OS 10.4). I don't recall a cheap upgrade being offered to us when Leopard appeared, so I'm wondering why Leopard users would get a break to switch to Snow Leopard.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm

It's because they say that it is a "refining" of Leopard rather than a radical change.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I like Tiger. I haven't switched to leopard yet. But it is a work machine, so the option really isn't mine to make.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:26 pm

I do like Leopard and will be an early adopter for Snow Leopard too.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dromahair on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:18 am

SeventhCrow wrote:We're running Tiger here (Mac OS 10.4). I don't recall a cheap upgrade being offered to us when Leopard appeared, so I'm wondering why Leopard users would get a break to switch to Snow Leopard.

Because Vista users will NOT be getting such a sweet deal if they upgrade to Windows 7.

Also, Snow Leopard will only work on Intel driven Macs. Leopard is the end of the line for the Power PC folks so if they want to keep themselves up to date they'll have to upgrade their hardware. Likely they want a chorus of happy voices to drown out the whining of the discontent.
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:22 am

I wonder if those of us with Intel machines who are using Tiger will get a break on this release. I might fuss a bit if Leopard users get a significant break and Tiger users don't.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:08 pm

But I paid $129.00 (if I remember correctly) for Leoppared and you didn't do that. The upgrade that you are wanting for $29.00, I will have paid $160 for, if you add it up.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:53 pm

But it's not being offered as an upgrade. Those come for free from the Apple site, which is why my 10.4 is now 10.4.11 (the 11th upgrade).

It's being packaged as a new release entirely--the change from 10.5 to 10.6. If some users of earlier versions of OS 10 get a cheap upgrade, then I'm thinking all should. Or Apple should just call it OS 10.5.50 (or whatever) and send it along free to Leopard users.

Unless it's a new corporate strategy to offer users of the most current OS version a cheap change to the succeeding version, so OS 10.6 users would then get a cheap price for OS 10.7 and so forth. I'd be OK with that.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm okay with them charging for it the way they are. But then I'm a stockholder.

I do understand your argument but on the other hand, I think that this is a big step Apple is taking - much bigger than the ordinary update - and yet, to the average Leopard user, they will not visibly see much surface difference. Why upgrade, the non-computer geek will wonder. This is cheap enough that most will.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum