What are you reading now?

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What are you reading now?

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Me? It's a silly little book called Weddings from Hell Vampires in love and whatnot.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by John T Mainer on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Rereading the Northwind trilogy by David Drake. It is a sci-fi retelling of the old Norse saga's and recreates them faithfully. He said that he wrote it when he was fresh back from Vietnam and angrier than he is now. I kept a copy in my combats when I was deployed, and it spoke strongly to me then. It still does.
John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:52 pm

I'm reading the first book of the Twilight series...
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:00 am

Oh noes, not twilight... (sorry I work in a book store plus my girlfriend is a ''Twihard'' (twitard) Razz

I am currently reading Celtic Heritage by Alwyn and Brinley Rees.
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:03 am

a "twihard" ??? thats a new one for me!!

I'm currently reading book 8 (can't remember the title) in Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series.

Last edited by Feinics on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : so it made sense :))
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:15 am

Feinics wrote:a "twihard" ??? thats a new one for me!!

I'm currently reading book 8 (can't remember the title) in Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series.

Who died without finishing the damned series, and writing a totally useless prequel to squander the time that should have been spent weaving all the scattered subplots, foreshadowing and prophesy into one really tight finale.

Its wrong to speak ill of the dead, but if spirits could type, I'd go necromatic on his butt until he finished the final book, and then let him rest in peace (with many lavish offerings to appease and thank of course).

Literacy is a dangerous addiction. Its like recyclable crack.
John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:45 am

I'm stuck on number 6. And I started it about 7 years ago. Rolling Eyes

I'm terrible about reading fiction. I'll start one book, get halfway through and pick up another.

Now, non-fiction. Particularly that from the religion section of Powell's in Portland... mmm.
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:41 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Me? It's a silly little book called Weddings from Hell Vampires in love and whatnot.

If you like that, SG, have you read Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series? They're terrific. The basic premise is that vampires are real and have been granted U.S. citizenship. Sookie's a barmaid with psychic ability which has always driven her nuts since it's difficult for her to avoid picking up on the ugly things people are thinking about her. (Small town mentality!)

Dead Until Dark is the first one...just about all available in paperback. There isn't a dud in the set so far which is unusual for a series that's run to eight books.

Gorm--what bookstore do you work for? I used to work at a Borders. I really miss not knowing what's coming out soon but do NOT miss all the corporate crap. The employee discount was pretty cool, too.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:33 am

Genocon wrote:

I'm stuck on number 6. And I started it about 7 years ago. Rolling Eyes

I'm terrible about reading fiction. I'll start one book, get halfway through and pick up another.

Now, non-fiction. Particularly that from the religion section of Powell's in Portland... mmm.

I hear raves about Powell's. Very Happy
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:33 am

DotNotInOz wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Me? It's a silly little book called Weddings from Hell Vampires in love and whatnot.

If you like that, SG, have you read Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series? They're terrific. The basic premise is that vampires are real and have been granted U.S. citizenship. Sookie's a barmaid with psychic ability which has always driven her nuts since it's difficult for her to avoid picking up on the ugly things people are thinking about her. (Small town mentality!)

Dead Until Dark is the first one...just about all available in paperback. There isn't a dud in the set so far which is unusual for a series that's run to eight books.

Gorm--what bookstore do you work for? I used to work at a Borders. I really miss not knowing what's coming out soon but do NOT miss all the corporate crap. The employee discount was pretty cool, too.

I read the first two, once, and now I can't remember them at all. Embarassed
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:42 am

I like them. They have a humor to them and she hasn't forgotten that a book needs a plot unlike Laurell Hamilton. Man or paranormal romances hot right now!

I am not reading anything although come to think of it I have P. C. Doherty's latest Chaucer's mystery on hold.
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:53 pm

John T Mainer wrote:

Who died without finishing the damned series, and writing a totally useless prequel to squander the time that should have been spent weaving all the scattered subplots, foreshadowing and prophesy into one really tight finale.

Its wrong to speak ill of the dead, but if spirits could type, I'd go necromatic on his butt until he finished the final book, and then let him rest in peace (with many lavish offerings to appease and thank of course).

Literacy is a dangerous addiction. Its like recyclable crack.

He died without finishing the series!!!!!
I didnt know that!! grrrr Evil or Very Mad
I've been trying to read the series for years but always forget what happened between books and then have to start from scratch!
I need closure!!!!!!
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:30 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
I hear raves about Powell's. Very Happy

It is a mandatory stop during any visit to Portland. Aside from detouring north to see me, of course. Laughing
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:11 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:

I work at Coles (which is the mall format for Indigo) the largest book reailer in Canada.
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:12 pm

I believe who ever Jordan's executor was is working on finishing the last book.
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Well, I just finished The Fifth Mountain by Paulo Coelho and The Help....can't remember who the author is. I just bought Warrior of the Light: A Manual and Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho this afternoon. I love that author. I've read The Alchemist, Brida, and The Witch of Portobello.....all books about someone's spiritual path. I read The Fifth Mountain in one day, that's how addicted I get to his books! LOL
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:43 pm

I usually have several books going at once...
Depends on my mood what I pick up.
Presently all started:

"Little Myth Marker" by Robert Asprin book 6 in his Myth Adventures.
"Twilight" by Meyer
"The Magician:The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flemmel" by Scott,
"Bosch" Abrams art book. Need him for monsters I'm incorporating into my prints.
"Yoshitoshi's One Hundred Aspects of the Moon" Another art book. Japanese print maker.
"Arm of Kannon" book 3 horror manga.

Yes I'm a bit of a horror fan.
hexpainter

http://www.hexpainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Twilight- Stephanie Meyer
Mystical Traveler- Sylvia Browne (I like her books, many are very far fetched but it's entertaining)
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 am

I'm finishing up "Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived". I'd initially picked it up for some research I've been doing on teens and children with cancer, so I'd expected it to be heavy reading (a chore to read) and quite the contrary, it's been quite an awesome book. I've read it in record time, it's been a joy and an inspiration, one of the best books I've read in years.

Last edited by Chiyo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 am

I am reading Jim Butcher's latest "Turn Coat" and I like it a lot. He really did a good job with this one. Less tongue in cheek (but Harry Dresden will always have that) and a good tight plot that kept me up late last night. I recommend it. I think Jim Butcher fans will really enjoy it.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Lately I've been into reading books written by Dr. Bart D. Ehrman, Chairman of the Department of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I recently finished Misquoting Jesus; am currently reading Jesus, Interrupted; and next on my list is The New Testament: A Historical Introduction To The Early Christian Writings.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:50 am

I'm reading Angels visions by Doreen Virtue.
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:47 am

I am reading Revelation by C. J. Sansom. It is a historical mystery set in the Tudor period. It a really good mystery and gives a feel for the political and religious dangers of the day.

One thing that I'm wondering about though is the theme of the rise of the "bible-men" as they are called and the clash with more conservative religious people. They are the Protestants who say they go strictly by the bible and they sometimes preach on street corners (which is illegal). It sounds a great deal like the same problems there are today with the rise of the Evangelicals. I suppose that this is a cycle the world has seen before.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat May 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Taking up the Runes, Dianna Paxson (highly recommend)
Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy (WWIII as we all prepared for it).

One time in a barbershop, I ran into a Russian emigree. We shot the breeze over a couple of cups of coffee about REFORGER (our plan to stop a Soviet conventional invasion of Western Europe), and the Soviets own defensive "Disruption Attacks"

Interestingly, he trained in Air Mobile Divisions whose job it was to land behind the projected line of assault and disrupt C3, and logistics efforts, fomenting the kind of confusion in which the very amount of data available makes correct interpretations of the strategic situation impossible. He would die to buy time for the Soviet Motor Rifle divisions to punch a hole for the Tank divisions to destroy our strategic center and force NATO forces to form and advance from beyond Germany.

I trained with the NATO forces in Germany to bleed the Soviets white as they poured through the Fulda gap. Our aim was to disrupt their forces, delaying their advance, containing them while our air superiority disrupted their C3 and logistics elements while our frontline troops died hard buying time.

From both points of view our operations were defensive in nature, each assumed the other was the strategic aggressor, each assumed that their plan would work. Each also assumed their HQ had no intention of releiving them.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun May 03, 2009 7:27 am

Happy Mother's Day for all the ladies! Here's a wonderful poem for you from Neil Gaiman.

Blueberry Girl read by Neil Gaiman:

http://webcontent.harpercollins.com/images/om/sz/blueberrygirl-mothersday.htm

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top