Two Show-biz Icons Dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Two Show-biz Icons Dead

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Wow! unbelievable.

Probably a lot of us had heard that Farrah Fawcett was fighting terminal cancer. She lost that battle this morning. May she rest well after fighting the good fight.

And now, Michael Jackson is gone, too. For any of you who've not heard yet, a 911 call from his rented mansion led to paramedics discovering him without a pulse and not breathing shortly after noon today. He was rushed to UCLA Med Center nearby but never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead early this afternoon. Cardiac arrest was given as the cause.

Just uncanny that two icons of show business are gone within hours of each other.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Two Show-biz Icons Dead

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 pm

I just heard this not too long ago. Sad
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:15 pm

I wasn't that fond of Ryan O'Neal, especially after people I knew who were extras or had bit parts in Paper Moon said he was generally friendly but seemed unconcerned about Tatum's behaving like a complete brat.

But I gotta commend him for staying at Farrah's side throughout her illness. They weren't married, and a lot of guys would have said, "Well, gee, honey, we had some fun, and I sure wish you luck, but I can't handle this."

So, here's kudos to you, Ryan O'Neal. You've demonstrated yourself to be a better man than I believed you to be.

Such a shock, both of these deaths. Farrah Fawcett was only a few years older than I am, and Michael Jackson...too young.

NBC was speculating about his passing perhaps turning out to be bigger than Elvis's. Guess that remains to be seen...
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:49 pm

I was pretty shocked over Jackson. He was a year younger than I am. I didn't necessarily like his music but he was phenominally talented.

None of us knows our expiration date do we? It's a good lesson to remember. Live. That is, ultimately, what it comes down to.
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Three Icons... Ed McMahon also.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm

I was stunned about Jackson, I can not believe three celebs passed in two days. I was watching the news when it was announced he had been taken to hospital, I nearly fainted when they said he had gone.

I did not like him much, but Itty is right, he was a great talent. Shocking week

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:43 pm

I don't care what anyone says, Thriller was pure genius.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Rest in peace, Michael. Rest in peace.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 pm

I thought it was pretty clear that wasn't going to happen.

sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 pm

Er... yeah... *backs away slowly*
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:39 am

I too like thriller, I was never a big fan, but I did like him in his younger years, up until just shortly after thriller came out. He started changing in a big way at that point that put me off.

He was actually an attractive man before all the surgery. I feel sorry for him in many ways. And I do hope he rests in peace.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:42 am

I feel the same way SG. I doubt he would have ever had much peace. I have never been a motown fan but I listened, like most every one else, to Jackson's music. He had a talent that was extraordinary. I am a year younger than he was. I grew up with Jackson in a way. I listened to him, I watched his videos. It was a strange thing to watch him evolve.

Oddly one of the things that stood out for me was the speculation and buzz about what would happen when he wrnt through puberty and his voice changed. I remember the tabloids pontificating about it. Would his voice deepen? How much? Would he have a voice? If I remember correctly, and this was over thirty years ago, there were rumors of hormones to keep his voice from being too low.

He put MTV on the map with Thirller. That was a very bizarre video. I was stationed in Germany in '82 and didn't see it when it first came out.

I admit to being shocked and saddened at this death. I'll always wonder whether he would have made that come back. I think that if anyone could have done it he would have. He was an electrifying performer. He made the moon walk famous. It came, in part, from Sammy Davis Jr but Jackson made it his own.
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top