Have you guys seen this?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Have you guys seen this?

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:56 pm

http://www.bibliomania.com/bibliomania-static/index.html

Free literature! If there is a classic you have always wanted to read, save money, read it here!
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you guys seen this?

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Awesome link SG, thanks. Very Happy

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Homeschooling just took a turn down "reading street"

.... cool link SG; many thanks!
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:59 pm

*scampers off to check it out*
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 am

with itty hot on her heels. Hey Kitty! Wanna race? Laughing
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:03 pm

I was disappointed in the lack of content.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 pm

Weird! I wonder what their justification is for attributing Shirley, Villette and Wuthering Heights to "The Bronte Sisters." In all the years I studied and taught English lit, I never heard of any doubt but that Shirley and Villette were written by Charlotte and Wuthering Heights by Emily.

It's generally acknowledged that Anne was not nearly as talented a writer as her sisters, so this attribution is rather startling.

Well, anyway.

If you have an iPhone, there's a really nice application with 150 classical books available for about 10 bucks with occasional updates adding more titles.

Although, old-fashioned as I am, I prefer reading an actual book.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by costrel on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:33 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Weird! I wonder what their justification is for attributing Shirley, Villette and Wuthering Heights to "The Bronte Sisters." In all the years I studied and taught English lit, I never heard of any doubt but that Shirley and Villette were written by Charlotte and Wuthering Heights by Emily.

It's generally acknowledged that Anne was not nearly as talented a writer as her sisters, so this attribution is rather startling.

I am one of those who question the assumption that Anne was less talented. Her book Agnes Grey has been termed "the most-perfect prose narrative in English," and with the exception of Charlotte's Shirley, her novels, both Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, are the only Bronte novels that are social commentaries that focus on the brutal lives of Victorian women (A.G. about the lives of governesses; T.W.H. about a woman who leaves her drunken husband to support herself and her son and eventually finds love again). Anne, unlike Charlotte and certainly unlike Emily, was a moralist who intended her books to not only comment upon society but change society. And one also needs to keep in mind that Anne produced two English classic novels at the same time that Emily and Charlotte each produced only one (Charlotte's The Professor was rejected and only published as a novelty text after her death), as well as the fact that Anne was younger than her sisters (2 years younger than Emily and 4 years younger than Charlotte) when they were writing and publishing their novels. Who knows what she might have procuded if she had lived, for instance, as long as Charlotte and could have written something as solemn and mature as Charlotte's Villette.

As for the reference to the "Bronte Sisters," this is an unfortunate part of the Bronte mythology, equating them with the three Fates and the three Wayward Sisters in Shakespeare's Macbeth.
costrel

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:39 pm

I am one of those who question the assumption that Anne was less talented. Her book Agnes Grey has been termed "the most-perfect prose narrative in English,"

By whom? That's an assessment that I've not encountered.

Admittedly, the very people who insist that Anne was less talented are probably the same who maintain that there's no question but that the man from Stratford wrote the entirety of the works of Shakespeare.

I must confess that I've never read either of Anne's novels. Seems like I owe it to her to do so rather than simply parroting the popular view of her talent.

As for the reference to the "Bronte Sisters," this is an unfortunate part of the Bronte mythology, equating them with the three Fates and the three Wayward Sisters in Shakespeare's Macbeth.

Ummm...how does that explain lumping all their novels into one body attributed to the trio as if they wrote collaboratively? I can see how three sisters, all of whom were authors, might be likened to the Fates, but this explanation alludes to some Bronte mythology I'm unfamiliar with. Granted, the sisters and brother Branwell are known to have collectively written fantasies as children, but I've never heard of any indication that their mature works were at all collaborative. Have you a reference?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Try Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) to expand the variety of available titles.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by costrel on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:54 am

DotNotInOz wrote:By whom? That's an assessment that I've not encountered.

By George Moore.

Admittedly, the very people who insist that Anne was less talented are probably the same who maintain that there's no question but that the man from Stratford wrote the entirety of the works of Shakespeare.

Well, you know, many people tend to forget about the wonderful late play that was collectively written with John Fletcher, The Two Noble Kinsmen, and even fewer people probably are aware of the late lost play, Cardenio, and some still assert that All is True (Henry VIII) is completely -- or even partly -- written by Shakespeare. And let's not even mention the Henry VI plays or King John!

Ummm...how does that explain lumping all their novels into one body attributed to the trio as if they wrote collaboratively? I can see how three sisters, all of whom were authors, might be likened to the Fates, but this explanation alludes to some Bronte mythology I'm unfamiliar with. Granted, the sisters and brother Branwell are known to have collectively written fantasies as children, but I've never heard of any indication that their mature works were at all collaborative. Have you a reference?

Well, no, it doesn't explain lumping all of their novels together as if they were written collaboratively. It is known that the Brontes read their novels during composition (their infamous table-walks, which I recall reading that Charlotte continued to do nightly after Emily and Anne were dead), though this is not the same as stating that they were written collaboratively. Charlotte certainly did not approve of Anne's Tenant of Wildfell Hall, and made sure it would not be reprinted in her (Charolotte's) lifetime after Anne had died (and Charlotte also did not exactly approve of Wuthering Heights and had to justify its courseness by creating one of the most-enduring aspects of the Bronte myth, that of casting her sister Emily as an uneducated and naive country girl, which I suppose might be a little bit better than the later myth that cast Emily as some kind of mystic). As you probably know, when the "Bell" novels were first published, some reviewers thougth that one "Bell" (Currer Bell) was responsible for all of them: So maybe this is what the website is alluding to. I don't know. But again, this Victorian-era solo-author theory is not the same as collaboration, either.

In case you're intersted, a good critical analysis of the history of the Bronte mythology is Lucasta Miller's The Bronte Myth (New York: Anchor, 2001).
costrel

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:59 am

Sorry. Didn't mean to create Bronte controversy. NahNah
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Oh, you didn't at all, SG (and I'll shut up about it after this and let the thread get back on topic.)

I was simply curious, not having encountered previously the views cited by Costrel nor ever before seeing the sisters' novels lumped into one authorship other than the aforementioned supposition that Charlotte actually wrote them all as "Currer Bell."

Thanks much for the references, C. I'll definitely look into The Bronte Myth. Sounds intriguing.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:13 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Oh, you didn't at all, SG (and I'll shut up about it after this and let the thread get back on topic.)

I was simply curious, not having encountered previously the views cited by Costrel nor ever before seeing the sisters' novels lumped into one authorship other than the aforementioned supposition that Charlotte actually wrote them all as "Currer Bell."

Thanks much for the references, C. I'll definitely look into The Bronte Myth. Sounds intriguing.

Hee! You know, when I saw the Bronte thing on that website, I thought it was a gloss. You know, "and here is the work of the Bronte sisters, all put together to save bandwidth."
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top