Congratulations, Neil!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Congratulations, Neil!

Post by gillyflower on Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 pm

Neil Gaiman just won the Audie best book of the year for his reading of The Graveyard Book. If you have never listened (or read) a book by neil Gaiman, you really are missing out on a treat. I love Neverwhere and Stardust, too.

On the other hand they are just a leeeetle bit twisted. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Congratulations, Neil!

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat May 30, 2009 12:32 am

This book has done rather well for itself, doesn't it already have a Newbery?

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 am

I spent yesterday talking to Paul McElroy. http://www.treasurecoastmysteries.com/ He's a very neat guy. He gave me two of the books and, I have to say, I haven't looked at them yet (am too busy with Ann Moura's book right now!) They look good though- Jade and Enigma- mysteries that are funny and a bit twisted, all are based on real people and events. I randomly opened to a conversation on goat sex and told him "Yep, this a book for me!" Laughing I hope the books are as good as the author!

I haven't heard of this guy, sorry to say. Then again I don't read much outside of how-to books. How to spiritual, how to around the house and how to calligraphy have been it for my last few years. Razz

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat May 30, 2009 7:36 am

Gasp! Are you doing calligraphy? I remember when I suggested the books. Do you enjoy it?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat May 30, 2009 12:43 pm

gillyflower wrote:Gasp! Are you doing calligraphy? I remember when I suggested the books. Do you enjoy it?

Yes- thanks to you I ordered a few calligraphy books and a library discard of "The Italic Way to beautiful Handwriting" (which frankly, after starting it, I haven't bothered with the others). I'm not very good at it, but I've been using it on our guest key envelopes where we write their last name and room number and the bosslady has been very pleased. Not only can the guests read their names now, but it looks nice.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat May 30, 2009 1:27 pm

I have a lot of calligraphy books but I have to admit that is my favorite. Did I say that I did the place cards at the rehearsal luncheon and people were saving theirs and thought she'd had them professionally done. I was so flattered!

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top