Gods and Goddesses

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gods and Goddesses

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 pm

I guess I'll comment on the original post. *singing along with the rest of the crew*
I don't neccessarily think I've been "chosen" by any deity. One just sort of entered my life and said,"Here I am, like it or not." Whether or not I am one of her chosen, I don't know. I just know she's in my life for whatever reason and that I feel close to her. I don't think you have to have a patron deity to be pagan. I know plenty of pagans that don't believe in literal deities any things like that. As far as picking deities goes: as long as they remain true to the culture they're borrowing the deity from (no warm and fuzzy Kali's for example) I have no problem with worshiping an eclectic mix of gods and goddesses. My sister is a pagan who follows no particular deities at all. She prays to whoever happens to be nearby. ^_^ Just my two bits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:50 pm

To me, and mind you, this is only my position on it, but I find the term Pagan to be as insulting as NeoPagan. Something akin to calling a country boy a red neck. The term Pagan comes as a Christian insult to the country dwellers who either did not convert to Christianity or held on to some of their old ways. It was meant as an insult....... the Pagans it seems merely turned the insult back from whence it came and began to use the term in a more constructive manner.

I follow the Celtic Path. Nothing neo about it, as Main says, except me. That path was alive and well long before Christianity, and never completely died out. I can't make such a claim, despite what people say about the number of years I've been on earth.

The gods and goddesses I honor are of the Gaulish Celts. And rightfully so, I am after all French. I looked at the gods and goddesses available, and began to honor those who fit closest to my particular life style, and chosen professions. They fit hand to glove, so in a sense, I was guided, and they manipulated the strings. I am comfortable in my path, so I've never really tried to analyze any of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:12 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I think I'm going to agree with Gorm in the since that the name "Celtic Reconstructionist" involves someone interested in "reconstructing the Celtic faith". That is, by default, it's definition; like Christianity is a religion that "has to do with the worship of, or interest in, the teachings of Christ". However, I think what Gilly is getting at is right; anyone can claim to be a Celtic Reconstructionist no matter how little or much effort they put into actually reconstructing the Celtic faith; as Mormons, UUs, Catholics and Evangelists can claim to be Christian no matter how little or much interest in Christ the individual has.

Hummmmm. Now we must decide which Celts are the truest. The Brits? Scottish? Welch? Irish, or my own, decended from the Gauls?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I think I'm going to agree with Gorm in the since that the name "Celtic Reconstructionist" involves someone interested in "reconstructing the Celtic faith". That is, by default, it's definition; like Christianity is a religion that "has to do with the worship of, or interest in, the teachings of Christ". However, I think what Gilly is getting at is right; anyone can claim to be a Celtic Reconstructionist no matter how little or much effort they put into actually reconstructing the Celtic faith; as Mormons, UUs, Catholics and Evangelists can claim to be Christian no matter how little or much interest in Christ the individual has.

Hummmmm. Now we must decide which Celts are the truest. The Brits? Scottish? Welch? Irish, or my own, decended from the Gauls?

Well as far as the "Brits" (which I assume you mean English?) go, they still haven't really adopted the whole Celtic aspect of their past, maybe outside those Druids and a stone circle here and there Wink

As far as the other groups go, well CR tends to shy away from "Pan-Celtic" and favours a regional focus, since the mythologies, folk customs, language and regional histories vary. I have yet to encounter an Irish recon telling a Gaulish recon they aren't Celtic enough...

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 am

Tameless_Heart wrote:I guess I'll comment on the original post. *singing along with the rest of the crew*
I don't neccessarily think I've been "chosen" by any deity. One just sort of entered my life and said,"Here I am, like it or not." Whether or not I am one of her chosen, I don't know. I just know she's in my life for whatever reason and that I feel close to her. I don't think you have to have a patron deity to be pagan. I know plenty of pagans that don't believe in literal deities any things like that. As far as picking deities goes: as long as they remain true to the culture they're borrowing the deity from (no warm and fuzzy Kali's for example) I have no problem with worshiping an eclectic mix of gods and goddesses. My sister is a pagan who follows no particular deities at all. She prays to whoever happens to be nearby. ^_^ Just my two bits.

TH, how did this . . . . "revelation" . . . come about? How did she come to you, and in what way did you recognize the event for what it was? Thanks! Smile

Christianity has ONLY male specified deities. I think I would be up for a female. . . . . Smile of the celtic, as I have some Irish in me.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Deavon, I can't speak for Tameless Heart, but for me, they just stood out from all of the other Celtic gods and goddesses. They aligned themselves to my needs. My particular gods and goddesses meld with my type of profession. They are protectors of warriors, and gods and goddesses of the underworld whose job it is to receive fallen warriors. Their presence seem to give me more comfort than say the goddess of fertility, (which I would suggest applied to farmers and herdsmen) or gods of the green. Even though they hold a place in my heart, these other protectors of mine stand out more boldly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Deavon, it's hard to explain...it's not that I physically saw her there at first. She was a shadow in my mind, which eventually became a title, a name. I didn't even know who she was. Then, I had a "vision" I guess of a lioness. So my goddess is "The Cosmic Lion Goddess who Holds up the Sun". I was reading a Jospeh Campbell book and ran across the picture of a goddess with that title and it hit me. Before that, I had never had a thought about lions or the sun. I don't complain though. It wasn't until later that I actually "heard" her speak or saw her. She's in my life, I know her names (beyond her title).... the more I developed my relationship with my deity, the more I cam to understand her and why she was here. I don't know if that helps, but if ya have more questions go ahead and ask. ^_^

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top