Yay a hindu place

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yay a hindu place

Post by maya3 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Thank you guys!

I'm very honored that there is a Hindu forum!

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Re: Yay a hindu place

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:20 am

We're more honored we have a Hindu here in it. Very Happy

So have you always been Hindu Maya?
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:44 am

Ted,

Yes and no. But no actually.

I never belonged to any religion or was raised in any religion at all.
I always had a belief in reincarnation, a belief that we are all connected to everything and I always felt very strongly that everything is divine, in other words that animals have souls, even if they are just a little mouse. But growing up in a secular country like Sweden I never really talked about it much or thought about it.
Then when I moved here (U.S) about 18 years ago I was seeking a little bit, I was part of a Native American spiritual group for a while, it was nice but it was not really my thing. But there are some similar things to Hinduism in a way, so I can see now why I thought it would fit.
But then years after that I joined an amazing yoga center that was incredibly spiritual and had a completely different Hatha yoga practice than I've seen anywhere else. (unfortunately it's gone now). But the teacher introduced me to the Ashram that I belong to now, and I had found heaven.
Really it's amazing. I love it. And I found that Hindu philosophy is exactly what I have always thought, plus of course cultural things and myths and other interpretations that I didn't know about.
But I love it, it's changed my life in an amazing way. I've been practicing for almost 10 years now.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 am

maya3 wrote:Ted,

Yes and no. But no actually.

I never belonged to any religion or was raised in any religion at all.
I always had a belief in reincarnation, a belief that we are all connected to everything and I always felt very strongly that everything is divine, in other words that animals have souls, even if they are just a little mouse. But growing up in a secular country like Sweden I never really talked about it much or thought about it.
Then when I moved here (U.S) about 18 years ago I was seeking a little bit, I was part of a Native American spiritual group for a while, it was nice but it was not really my thing. But there are some similar things to Hinduism in a way, so I can see now why I thought it would fit.
But then years after that I joined an amazing yoga center that was incredibly spiritual and had a completely different Hatha yoga practice than I've seen anywhere else. (unfortunately it's gone now). But the teacher introduced me to the Ashram that I belong to now, and I had found heaven.
Really it's amazing. I love it. And I found that Hindu philosophy is exactly what I have always thought, plus of course cultural things and myths and other interpretations that I didn't know about.
But I love it, it's changed my life in an amazing way. I've been practicing for almost 10 years now.

Maya

Is it difficult to find other Hindus in the States?
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 am

SG,
No there are a lot, especially in New York.

There are also many western groups that practice Hinduism/yoga/Vedanta so I have a lot of options.
My Ashram is about an hour and a half from where I live, so I only go a couple of times a year, but then I stay for several of days.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 am

maya3 wrote:SG,
No there are a lot, especially in New York.

There are also many western groups that practice Hinduism/yoga/Vedanta so I have a lot of options.
My Ashram is about an hour and a half from where I live, so I only go a couple of times a year, but then I stay for several of days.

Maya

Hee! We have way different lives, I think. An hour and a half is a drive I might take to see a friend, go to a concert, or go to dinner at a special restaurant! Laughing You would probably think of my home as the boonies! Of course, that means that the only Hindus I have ever met in real life live on the local college campus.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 am

LOL

I'm a spoiled New Yorker, if it's further than a ten minutes walk or GOD forbid a subway ride!!! I'll have to bring a picnic so that I don't starve on the way there.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 am

I hope you guys will discuss your religion. I don't feel that I know much about it and I'd like to learn enough so that I don't feel that even the questions I ask are beyond stupid.

What gods do you worship, or do you worship gods?
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:44 am

Gilly,
I hope you guys will discuss your religion. I don't feel that I know much about it and I'd like to learn enough so that I don't feel that even the questions I ask are beyond stupid.

What gods do you worship, or do you worship gods?

No question is stupid.
Ask away.

No we don't worship Gods, it's a very common misunderstanding, because it looks like we do from the outside if you don't know what it means.
But before I explain my point of view, let me say that Hinduism is a vast collection of different sects and groups so someone else could come in here and completely disagree with me, disagree a little or have another interpretation.
But that's the beauty of Hinduism, all religions and viewpoints are accepted completely.
Generally though, most sects have a pretty similar view to mine, with some variations.

We believe in one formless, omnipotent, omnipresent God that is everywhere in everything. There is nothing on the planet that is alive that does not have a spark of God within it. Therefore you can look at God in any form you want, you can worship a leaf if you want, because the leaf is also a form of God.
The reason there are a lot of murtis (forms) from mythology, such as Ganesh or Lakshmi is because they represent an aspect of God.
When you do a puja (worship service) you ask God to come to you and take the form you have chosen so that you can see him/her/it and can offer him/her/it your devotion, something to eat, drink etc. It's all symbolic.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 am

In my religion we believe the divine is in everything, not just the living things. Is this where our two religions differ?

Another odd question! A friend of one of my daughters was named Lakshmi. Is it common to name children after the aspects of the god?
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 am

Yes, this board will be very interesting to me.

My church (Unity School of Christianity) is based on Hinduism meshed with metaphysical panentheistic teachings of Christianity.
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 am

Gilly,
Maybe. Technically we believe too that everything is part of God, because even rocks have vibration inside of it, and tables made of wood for example. But what about when it comes to man made things like plastic and things like that?

Ted,
I think that your church is very important...ops doorbell rings, have to leave the office my husband has a meeting in here, get back to you later...

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:06 am

We believe that the Divine is in everything, which includes plastic. If it is part of the universe, it is part of the Divine.
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:21 am

gillyflower wrote:We believe that the Divine is in everything, which includes plastic. If it is part of the universe, it is part of the Divine.

We are with you there. If it's visible, it's made from the Great Invisible - it's all the same 'stuff', protons, neutrons, and electrons.
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Back again,
hmm, I can see what you mean about plastic, but still I have trouble picturing it.

Ted, I was going to say that I think your church is very important, because I think a lot of people in the west are drawn to an eastern philosophy but are still very connected to Jesus.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 pm

maya3 wrote:Back again,
hmm, I can see what you mean about plastic, but still I have trouble picturing it.

I think the test for enlightenment is when you can look at the grossest thing imaginable and say "Oh wow, that's Divine!" Very Happy

Ted, I was going to say that I think your church is very important, because I think a lot of people in the west are drawn to an eastern philosophy but are still very connected to Jesus.

Maya

Thanks! Yes, I agree. For those of us who grew up 'on the Bible' and are most familiar with it of all 'holy' books it makes sense to try and gleam insight out of it as it would be easier.
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:26 am

Hey Maya, I wanted to ask you ... did you have a conversion ceremony? I'd love to learn more about it.

(I came close to giving Babaji a coconut on my last day with him, but felt it was more emotional than ... deep... at the moment.)

Peace to you Smile
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:17 am

Hey Maya, I wanted to ask you ... did you have a conversion ceremony? I'd love to learn more about it.

No I never did, I personally don't feel that it's necessary. I understand that people do it if it's meaningful for them. I don't even have a spiritual name.
I think that for people who have been very involved in another religion before they found Hinduism it may be more meaningful, but I never did so I had nothing to convert from or change.
Both gurus at both my Ashrams had their Maha Samhadi's before I went there. If I'd met them I might have felt differently, I'm not sure.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by ganapatikamesh on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Maya!!!! Thanks for the invite! This looks like a great place! Much better than Beliefnet now (I really dislike all the changes they keep making).

In Peace,
Nate (Ganapatikamesh)
ganapatikamesh

http://www.geocities.com/ganapatikamesh

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:16 pm

(((Nate))) Oh I´m so glad you are here! Welcome.

Very Happy Everyone here is awesome, (not only on the Hindu boards, but everywhere)

We have just started so there are not too many discussions yet, but go visit multifaith, things in the news etc too if you feel like it.

I know, Beliefnet is really disappointing.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:44 pm

ganapatikamesh wrote:Hi Maya!!!! Thanks for the invite! This looks like a great place! Much better than Beliefnet now (I really dislike all the changes they keep making).

In Peace,
Nate (Ganapatikamesh)

Who were you on B'net? Had I met you? Smile
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down