US Catholic Bishops ban Reiki???

Go down

US Catholic Bishops ban Reiki???

Post by Lolkat on Thu May 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Have you all hear about this yet? (And the atheists are rolling on the floor laughing!) I think the priests just couldn't deal with the idea of women and nuns having 'power' of any sort!

US Catholic bishops believe alternative therapy 'lacks scientific credibility' and may cause 'insurmountable problems'

Reiki, an alternative Japanese therapy with a growing band of followers
in the west, is "unscientific" and "inappropriate" for use in Catholic
institutions, according to America's bishops.

Guidelines issued by the committee on doctrine at the United States
Conference of Catholic Bishops warn healthcare workers and chaplains
that the therapy "lacks scientific credibility" and could expose people
to "malevolent forces".

The document also claims that for a Catholic to believe in reiki presents "insurmountable problems".

Reiki means "universal life energy" and was developed by the
theology professor Dr Mikao Usui at the turn of the 20th century, from
Buddhist beliefs and Sanskrit teachings. The client lies on a couch,
clothed and relaxing, while the therapist's hands rest lightly on the
body in a special sequence. Clients often report heat and tingling
sensations.

The church's guidelines state: "A Catholic who puts his or her
trust in reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no
man's land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts
one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in
a false direction."

The document goes on to state that since reiki therapy is
incompatible with Christian teaching and scientific evidence, "it would
be inappropriate" for Catholic institutions, such as healthcare
facilities and retreat centers, or people representing the church, such
as chaplains, to promote or provide support for it.

Reiki master Judith White, who is a Christian, said the bishops had
misunderstood the therapy. "There is so much bad information about
reiki, anti-Christian information, on the internet," she said. "It says
we channel spirits and that's not true. Reiki balances energy in the
same way as acupuncture or reflexology. I know of two nuns in the
Philadelphia area, one who runs a retreat center, who have done
wonderful work. The bishops weren't talking to women like that."

©️ Guardian News & Media 2008
Published: 3/30/2009
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Re: US Catholic Bishops ban Reiki???

Post by Feinics on Thu May 07, 2009 10:41 pm

haha that gave me chortle but I feel bad for those catholics that get help from reiki that might feel they can't engage in it any more!

They get the irony right?
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 pm

No, I don't think they see it!

Lots of idle hands perhaps...... but the church hierarchy can't know if the nuns have also refrained from sending distant healing or not.....so the joke's on them, really!

And I feel sad for all the hospice patients who'll be missing out on healing touch as they 'transition'.
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 pm

I can't see the sense in this at all! Do they genuinely believe Reiki should be banned! I mean of all the things in the world! Banning sugary foods would do more good!
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Exactly, Feinics! And what's with their 'malevolent forces' thing? Sounds like the Dark Ages!

I'm a Christian who practices Reiki........and always experiences it to be positive and beneficial.....and at the very least it's a stress reducer and allows for close personal contact with another human being. It can do no harm.

The East sees 'Life Force Energy' as fairly impersonal when contrasted to 'Our Father seated up in heaven' as God is commonly thought of in the West.

Reiki has allowed me to experience the Mystery I call 'God'. And it may not be 'medicine', but it is healing.

Seems to me that the bishops are being like the metaphysical pot who calls the metaphysical kettle 'black'!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Thu May 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Sounds like Reiki has been nothing but a very positive experience for you!
If it's not too personal do you mind if I ask if,as a Christian, such a ban on something you find beneficial as well as useful in connecting with God, impacts your relationship with the institution of the church as opposed to the spiritual side?
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 9:19 am

Oh absatively, Feinics! All this just reminds me, once again, that the church is a human institution as is all religion. God is not a Christian! And I readily admit, all experiences having to do with the realm of 'Spirit' could possibly be created within our own brains. Plus, the 'church' always feels threatened whenever others walk in its 'territory'. Many indigenous practices banned by a conquering church became 'hidden' within plain sight of the newly converted practitioners. Just because something is 'banned' doesn't mean it disappears....it just becomes camoflauged.

Either there is 'Nothing" outside our own brains........or there is indeed 'Something More'. I don't really know the 'truth' of it all anymore than do those bishops!!! All religious faith involves a conscious choice to hope for something 'More'. (and I say it could be more than anyone could ever imagine!) But i also respect those who say they can't possibly imagine any 'More' at all.

I equate Reiki to any other spiritual practice such as prayer and meditation. Reiki itself espouses no real 'theologies' but it can enhance one's own spirituality. And I appreciate the new dimensions it has allowed me to 'enter'.

Last edited by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 9:42 am

make that 'camouflaged'.......and no, I don't think the 'healing' will cease at all...but will continue in some 'new' way perhaps. We humans are a pretty creative species!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri May 08, 2009 10:17 am

Ok... I've seen all the uproar... And don't get it.
Someone please explain, to this poor ignorant soul... What, exactly, is Reiki?
It must be something pretty good... Or else the bishops panties wouldn't be in all these knots.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 11:49 am

Sorry about that, tmarie. Here you go....an 'official' definition....

http://www.reiki.org/faq/WhatIsReiki.html

It's practiced all over the world by people of many different faiths because it promotes mind, body, spirit connections and is one of the many ways human beings have 'uncovered' that deals with 'healing on all levels'.

Each day I try to remember to send 'healing' to all the world's inhabitants/creatures and to the earth itself. And when my husband, children, or friends come to me with various hurts and pains, I place my hands on them to make them feel better. It makes me feel better too! I And it's nothing I 'do' except be willing to focus and direct universal healing energy to whereever it needs to go...to do the most 'good'.....and I do this by making a conscious intention in my mind. This energy is said to come to us through our crown chakras and pass out through our hand chakras.....

I'm not a Reiki Master/Teacher but I would be willing to 'send' you some distant healing if you would like me too.

Last edited by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar again)
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri May 08, 2009 12:16 pm

So, it's not a "religion"... It's a method of tying mind, body, and spirit together.
Hmmm.... I'm gonna have to look into this. Maybe find some locals who know about it.
Lolkat... I'll take all the help I can get! Thank you very much.

I can't get over the bishops saying it's "superstition" and that's why it's wrong... One reason, anyway. What IS religion if not superstition? Belief in something without proof... Seems the very epitome of superstition.
As if the Church doesn't believe in superstition... A man raises the dead. He rises from the dead himself. His mother does not die but is taken (Assumed) into heaven body and all.... Yeah, THAT's not superstition. Shocked

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri May 08, 2009 12:29 pm

You know, I DID start this thread over in Debate Catholocism! Laughing

http://yourspirituality.motionforum.net/catholicism-debate-f32/catholic-bishops-in-us-ban-japanese-reiki-t182-15.htm#4164

But yeah, they raise a fuss about it... after Reiki is mainstream!

Check out http://www.christianreiki.org/info/NunsPriestsMinisters/nunshome.htm

And the homepage: http://www.christianreiki.org/

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri May 08, 2009 12:31 pm

My website is HIGHLY outdated.. I built this years ago, but you can see my take on it at http://tigerseyedowsing.com/reiki.html.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks TED! I'll look into all those links you mention....just as soon as I get this garden grime off me. And don't bash your website....a little redundancy isn't a 'bad' thing is it?

Tmarie, I couldn't agree with you more! (and I don't 'buy' the physical resuscitation of Jesus' body either.....and always separate Jesus from 'The Christ'. But i do value 'ressurection'.....which can be just another way to say 'healed'.)

As for the Reiki....all you have to do is remain 'open'. Talk to ya later, maybe on both threads now!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi TED, I've had time to check out each of your links....and now know you practice Reiki as well!

And, sorry, I had thought you meant THIS site was outdated bc we had two threads running about the very same topic.....but you were actually referring to your own Reiki website. How old is it? I think your old armchair sounds charming. I regularly give Reiki to an elderly couple and use their lounger which works just great! I pull it out from the wall and then sit on my little stool as I move around them.
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Ah ha, yes, I see the disconnect :p I do practice Reiki but I've gotten pretty far out of the habit. I've passed it on to another person as well. I haven't updated my site in a few years, that was back when I had an office and everything. I bet a lawn chair would work fantastic! Very Happy Who needs a fancy massage table, eh?

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Like my card table (Tarot cards) , that's ...........well.........a card table Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sat May 09, 2009 10:01 am

Interesting that the Catholic Church says that Reiki is not compatible with science. I didn't think that the Vatican believed in Science?

Lolkat,

I'm interested in your viewpoint on Chakras as a Christian. I didn't know that it is something that Christians were aware of. Are they generally accepted in the Christian community?

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 am

maya3 wrote:Interesting that the Catholic Church says that Reiki is not compatible with science. I didn't think that the Vatican believed in Science?

Lolkat,

I'm interested in your viewpoint on Chakras as a Christian. I didn't know that it is something that Christians were aware of. Are they generally accepted in the Christian community?

Maya

Well, as long as it took them to admit that Galileo was wrong... Rolling Eyes
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 09, 2009 11:24 am

maya3 wrote:Interesting that the Catholic Church says that Reiki is not compatible with science. I didn't think that the Vatican believed in Science?

Lolkat,

Maya
Not a practising Catholic, or any kind of Catholic, I can not speak for this personally, but my Mother (for reasons unknown) did know about the Chakra system. It was obviously not taught by the Catholic Church, but she knew about it. My Mother knew and believed a lot of unusual things though, I think she was an enigma. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 09, 2009 11:28 am

I could be wrong and I am sure I will be called on it if I am, but there seems to be a type of people in the Catholic world that are more open. More open to the Mystic, More mystical I have found this type of person to be more tolerant and considerate. As we have discovered with our friends here. I think that is what my Mother was.

She was caring and learned from other view points with out losing herself or her faith.

I am sure this applies to all branches of Christianity and other faiths, I guess I notice it more here because of my Mother.

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Sat May 09, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sat May 09, 2009 11:46 am

Maine,

A person who is able to retain their own faith and still is open to other viewpoints have a deep and true understanding of what God is in my opinion.
Your mom must have been a wonderful person

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 09, 2009 11:53 am

Thank you Maya, I think she was pretty special.

I don't think I ever heard her say a bad thing about anyone my entire life. I am not trying to make her out to be a saint, she was just a really nice person.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat May 09, 2009 12:18 pm

Your mother was the kind of person we should all aspire to be, Cap!
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Thank you SG, I am working on it, its not easy Embarassed

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down