Needing help on research...Please.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Needing help on research...Please.

Post by Gwyddion9 on Wed May 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Help
Hello everyone.
What i'd like to ask is if anyone has the names to historical books, documents or knows where to find historical information on Cerridwen or Cernunnos-Hern, regarding their history, the beliefs in them, how they were worshiped, everything down to the do's and don't about them.

I've found some information on the web and have found one book on Celtic Myth and Magick by Edain McCoy. How accurate McCoy's book is, i'm not sure.
I have never been very good at researching information, especially on the web. Woot!

Any suggestions, thoughts, titles of books, great and more importantly, honest and factual web sites, is greatly appriciated.
I know the names are tied to nationalities/cultures ie: Cerridwen is from the Welsh, Hern is Saxon in origin.
Anyway, any help is greatly appreicated as this is driving me crazy.

Much thanks to all! Bow
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Re: Needing help on research...Please.

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed May 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Celtic Myth and Magick by Edain McCoy?

She does not have a good rep.

Have you tried The Celtic Myth Podshow?

Their goal seems to be to be as accurate as possible.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 on Wed May 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks SG, i've book marked the page and will look through it later tonight.
The reason i've asked for some assistance is that i've had a difficult time finding info on them beyond the generic info.
Cerridwen and Cernunnos are my patron Goddess and God.
As a Wiccan, i've always used Lord and Lady when addressing the Gods but over time, Cerridwen and Cernunnos seem to be filling me with their presence at different times. I've become very aware of them in so many different ways and at different times.
Both honor my Celtic back ground but i also desire to have a geater understanding and working knowledge of them both. I realize that Cerridewn is also known as the dark Goddess but she also brings balance to my being. In looking back over my life as being Wiccan, she's never been that far away.
Well, SG, thanks for the info. i'll be checking it out. If you come across anything else, please let me know.
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Wed May 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Ears perk up, Celts did you say? Smile I know a little something about that.

For starters a dictionary of Celtic Mythology is always a good place to start (though may be a little much for only two entries). If you are so inclined, "The Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology" by James Mackillop is an absolutely fabulous text.

For Cerridwen, certainly you'll want to get your hands on the Mabinogion, the most comprehensive (and important) source of Welsh mythology, it is significantly more Christianized than the Irish tales, but there is still a lot that is evidently Pagan (It is also realy, really easy to find and inexpensive, I recommend the Jeffery Gantz translation). You'll also want to look into stories about Talesin, as Cerridwen plays an important role in his tales as well.

Now Cerrunos is a little different, since he was a Gallic deity, myths and stories involving him are basically non-existent. Knowledge of him is derived mostly from place names and etymology. I know form my small understanding of core Wicca that Cerrunos is a fairly important God, mentioned by Gardner by name. Any text on Gallo-Roman religion, or Gallic religion would be your best bet. A couple of excellent books:

The Celtic Gauls: Gods, Rites and Sanctuaries — Jean-Louis Brunaux

Lady With A Mead Cup — MichaelEnright

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 pm

I've listened to that podcast I mentioned, and I gotta say, it's pretty cool no matter if you follow those gods or not. They tell the stories like we were all sitting round the fire. They bring them to life! Very Happy
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 on Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 pm

S.G. & Gorm,

Thank you so very much. I simply want to have the best understanding of these two Gods that i can.
I want to be as accurate as possible as well. I like the idea of having an understanding as close to the original as possible. This way, in my mind anyway, i can approach and see them as the ancients did or atleast as close as possible.
I know of the Mabinogion but haven't read it, silly me.

Blessings HighFive
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top