Cars cars cars!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cars cars cars!!

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 03, 2009 4:33 pm

So my beautiful big buick finally bit the dust this week. I was really hoping to make it 200,000 miles...we got close but no banana. I guess hauling those 40 cinderblocks in the backseat and trunk at the time didn't help when the serpentine belt blew and took out some good bits.

Everyone asks about trading it in- No will do. It's a great car but needs a new computer, parts, etc. and will barely pass inspection - if someone bought it they'd be highly disappointed and angry, especially come inspection time, so I won't be doing that to someone else. She'll go to the crusher along with her predecessor. I feel guilty for thinking it, but I'll be glad to see it go. I've had the car far too long and far too many memories in that thing. Since my relationship ended I've really wanted another car, since this one reminds me too much of the time we spent together.

Normally I want a big, cushy, old lady car that I can abuse. However, my impractical side has reared its head.

It's older (1995), has 90K miles on it...but I drove it for 20 minutes and fell in love. This also means I will need to buy a pickup truck for working, but, I wants it. Very Happy

Assuming nothing goes wrong we close tomorrow.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Cars cars cars!!

Post by gillyflower on Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Yay! Congratulations! You will look good in that car, TED and enjoy it I hope.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks Gilly! Very Happy I hope so too. The only pending issue is the 'check engine' light is on, and the salesman is taking it to see what's wrong (or not wrong) and will let me know tomorrow.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun May 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Congrats my friend she's a beauty. Very Happy
Be careful about that check engine light

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun May 03, 2009 8:27 pm

So...

How much?
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 pm

$5k. Gonna wheedle a little and see if they'll drop a few hundred though.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sun May 03, 2009 10:23 pm

I just dropped 2500 to get my engine fixed. Crying or Very sad

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Ew. I'm sorry. *pats*

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun May 03, 2009 10:50 pm

eeeeck, Poor guy, I am sorry Gorm

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon May 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Congrats on the new wheels TED.

I drive a very practical car. If I were to get a car to love that was not practical, I'd pick either a Nash Rambler or Metropolitan.

Convertible so I could cruise PCH in style Smile

meep! meep!
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Vorrin on Thu May 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Check those T-Tops ! they are notorious for leaking. Also is that TA stock or has it had some "work" done to it ? I cannot tell for sure but it looks like a V6, 5K isnt bad though. The body looks good, you spend another 5K and drop a small block Crate motor in there and she'll cook. I could easily get that car to 600 HP (for about $7000). Sorry I am all about the horse power. There is no such thing as too much Blow Up
Vorrin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu May 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks Vorrin! I hear the official word from Pontiac is that "Well, they just leak!" especially if you park them nose-down. This one hasn't so far and it's parked nose-down, if that changes I'll start backing it in the driveway.

It's a V6- that's all I can tell you about the engine. The only thing I know about motors is that I like them cheap, gas-efficient and this ain't it. But...ah well.

Driving it to the mechanic the day I bought it the fuel pump blew and some spark plugs were bad, they had to replace all that on their dollar. I got it today, finally, and it's working fine.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Can hardly wait to have a spin in it Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat May 09, 2009 10:29 pm

Well, I'm agitated with the car - Turns out the oil pressure drops when the car gets too warm.

Could be... bad oil. Could be bad oil pump. Could be bad oil gauge, though I don't think so. Could be bad oil screen, could be any other component of the oil system. Could be the engine; could be bad rods and it could need to be rebuilt. At only 90,000 miles I'm really hoping not, I don't see how the engine would be going bad when it's just getting started.

Monday evening I'm going to take it for an oil change, and have them put in thicker oil and do a mechanical oil pressure reading and go from there. Keep your fingers crossed, because I just bought it this week and with it being financed really don't want to afford a new engine too.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Sat May 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Is there any warranty on it? It could be all of the above, Tiger.

Will keep paws crossed for you. If you just bought it then it should be their nickel until they get this fixed. If not I'd check to see what can be done.
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat May 09, 2009 10:54 pm

But did he get a warranty, Itty? Lemon laws vary a lot from state to state.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 10, 2009 5:52 am

Thanks Itty. Yeah, no lemon laws without a warranty and I bought it fairly cheap. They don't HAVE to take it back or fix it, but this is not the best time in the economy to piss off folks and I bet they'd do it if I made a big fuss. Frankly I don't want them to take it back...I love it... but I do want it to run like its supposed to. I wish Itty and brother were here to look at it and diagnose!

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Sun May 10, 2009 7:26 pm

I wish I could help. John is pretty good but my cousin Junior is the best. He has been a mechanic all his life. He runs a small shop and he can't keep up with the work he has waiting.

SG, I figured lemon laws would vary from place to place. Illinois has one.

Tiger, I would probably make those points to the person or dealership that sold the car to you.
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Ah ha, well, the update is that the oil pressure has been fine since that first scare (though I haven't taken it for a long trip yet) but the "Service Engine Soon" light has been on pretty steady, which of course can mean ANYTHING. Unfortunately AutoZone doesn't know because the car is too old to interface with their computer but they said AAMCO transmissions might could read it. I think I'll still get the oil change, and you know those $40 oil change places check all the stuff like air filter, etc., and let them see if they see something obvious.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun May 10, 2009 8:45 pm

We change the oil on the truck, Ford ranger. hole shabang every three or four months. We do it ourselves cheaper, we are cheapskates. Embarassed Harder with a car though, can't get under it as easily.

I really love a pick up truck Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top