Swine flu

Post by Mintie on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Could it be the next flu pandemic?

Swine Flu
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Re: Swine flu

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:53 am

I've been watching that on the news. It is a concern. But I find loosing sleep over things like this, does not help.

The story did make my room mate panic, since I got a cold this week.

I told him it has nothing to do with Swine flu. jeepers

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Having lived in the wonderful land of SARS... People can be panicky idiots.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:24 pm

In the event of another Spanish Influenza style pandemic killer, our national health authorities have the ability to synthesize enough vaccine to preserve our populations provided they act quickly enough with travel restrictions and quarantines once a deadly pandemic has been identified.

The third world and second world will get to die off like happens to those who believe denial is a workable solution to life or death problems. Those who prefer punishing the messenger to dealing with the message doom their people.

Honestly, without any technology at all, draconian action to curtail travel and quarantine any infection could allow even bronze age societies to ride out a true killer pandemic with limited and acceptable losses. It is less about the tools of technology than it is in early recognition of the threat, proper standards of hygiene, and swift uncompromising follow through.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes Gorm I agree. And you are correct John

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Maine: Sneeze on him and then oink.

John: What was that Poe story about the black death? Was it the Fall of the House of Usher, where they were quarantined? But yes, I agree.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Huh. Haven't been watching the news today. But I also haven't been kissing any pigs, so I think I'm safe.

Last edited by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stupid picture)
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:22 pm

Such cute creatures, what shame. silent

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Just told my daughter about the "Sneeze and oink" comment, TED... She thinks it's great and may just do that at school next week.
There's not even been MENTION of it anywhere near here, but people are freakin' out about it here too.
She said, "I might have to do that Monday". albino

TED, you are corrupting my daughter from afar!!! lol!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:30 pm

tmarie64 wrote:Just told my daughter about the "Sneeze and oink" comment, TED... She thinks it's great and may just do that at school next week.
There's not even been MENTION of it anywhere near here, but people are freakin' out about it here too.

Well as long as she's not kissing the pigs.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:31 pm

She saw the picture of the piggies... She's beginning to think we are all ummmm less than completely sane.
But she thinks we are definitely cool... not "all there"... but cool nevertheless.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:37 pm

Glad to hear we are cool, I hope I am included since I have never been cool before. lol! And I don't think I have ever been sane Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 pm

tmarie64 wrote:She saw the picture of the piggies... She's beginning to think we are all ummmm less than completely sane.
But she thinks we are definitely cool... not "all there"... but cool nevertheless.

What? It's called swine flu. Therefore you must get it by kissing pigs.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 pm

tmarie64 wrote:Just told my daughter about the "Sneeze and oink" comment, TED... She thinks it's great and may just do that at school next week.

Laughing That's what I do best... I'm the guy you warn your daughter about to begin with! Very Happy

We are pretty groovy. Guitar

pig Anybody remember Ray Stevens? Kiss a pig, hug a swine, some of them are good friends of mine...

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by costrel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Maine: Sneeze on him and then oink.

John: What was that Poe story about the black death? Was it the Fall of the House of Usher, where they were quarantined? But yes, I agree.

That would be "The Masque of the Red Death." And little good the quarantine did them!

Masque of the Red Death
costrel

Back to top Go down

Post by costrel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm

And let's not forget Boccaccio's Decameron!

Decameron
costrel

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:25 pm

That dog is biting that woman on the butt.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:35 pm

I lost an aunt in the Flu epidemic of 1918. 20 - 40 million died worldwide. While I'm sure medical science has come a long way and countries will move to isolate themselves to prevent a repeat, I don't underestimate viruses either.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 pm

I do not take this lightly, but I can't worry about things I can not control. I was talking about Stephen King's "The Stand" with someone today.

All I can really bring myself to worry about is what will happen to my animals if something happens to me. And what should I do. That actually really concerns me.

That and the concern for those friends I hold so dear. You all know who you are.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:07 pm

There is nothing you should worry about, MC. There is nothing you and I can do about it. It seems to me at this point to be a mild variety that is in the US and very few cases.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:24 pm

An great-aunt (now deceased), got the 1918 flu...I used to take care of her when I was younger. I would sleep over every night because she had no sense of smell, taste or hearing...leftover of the flu that nearly killed her.

I work in a drugstore, so of course people who are sick are always coming in. I bought mask yesterday, just in case. 4 cases have been diagnosed only 3 hours away. Everyone is on higher alert since the WHO have raised the alert to phase 4...

A lot of people from the maritimes went to Mexico in the last few weeks, my boss is there as we speak. I just hope no one will get the more severe form the Mexicans are experiencing.
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 pm

TED... You'll be happy to know that my daughter did sneeze and oink near one particularly "stupid" teacher and he nearly killed himself getting away from her. LOL

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Oh Tina that is funny, I wish I could have seen it!!!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 am

John T Mainer wrote:In the event of another Spanish Influenza style pandemic killer, our national health authorities have the ability to synthesize enough vaccine to preserve our populations provided they act quickly enough with travel restrictions and quarantines once a deadly pandemic has been identified.

The third world and second world will get to die off like happens to those who believe denial is a workable solution to life or death problems. Those who prefer punishing the messenger to dealing with the message doom their people.

Honestly, without any technology at all, draconian action to curtail travel and quarantine any infection could allow even bronze age societies to ride out a true killer pandemic with limited and acceptable losses. It is less about the tools of technology than it is in early recognition of the threat, proper standards of hygiene, and swift uncompromising follow through.

The only problem is, in this great capitalist society of the USA, I don't know of any employers (white collar or blue collar) who really, honestly and truly want to allow their employees to take off work when they are sick. They want you to take a dose of "Dayquil", suck it up and come on it to work... S-T-U-P-I-D... And this is how the pandemic will kill off a first-wave of ignorant and greedy Americans. Eww
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 am

gillyflower wrote:It seems to me at this point to be a mild variety that is in the US and very few cases.

That's true, Gilly. That's also why I don't think this is going to be "The Big One"... I do think, however, this strain is going to spawn "The Big One" and probably soon. Considering that this strain is a mixture of human, swine and the dreaded bird flu. Also considering, it's proven itself to be extremely adept at passing itself on and mutating quickly. The W.H.O. is pooping their drillies over this one and rightfully so. It's not so much a matter of what this flu is, but what it has shown itself capable of becoming.
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next