Reiki, an alternative Japanese therapy with
a growing band of followers in the West, is "unscientific" and
"inappropriate" for use in Catholic institutions, according to
America's bishops.

Guidelines issued by the committee on doctrine at the United States
Conference of Catholic Bishops warn healthcare workers and chaplains
that the therapy "lacks scientific credibility" and could expose people
to "malevolent forces".

The document also claims that for a Catholic to believe in reiki presents "insurmountable problems".

Reiki means "universal life energy" and was developed by the theology
professor Dr Mikao Usui at the turn of the 20th century, from Buddhist
beliefs and Sanskrit teachings. The client lies on a couch, clothed and
relaxing, while the therapist's hands rest lightly on the body in a
special sequence. Clients often report heat and tingling sensations.

The church's guidelines state: "A Catholic who puts his or her trust in
reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, the no man's
land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one's
worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a
false direction."

The document goes on to state that since reiki therapy is incompatible
with Christian teaching and scientific evidence, "it would be
inappropriate" for Catholic institutions, such as healthcare facilities
and retreat centres, or people representing the church, such as
chaplains, to promote or provide support for it.

Reiki master Judith White, who is a Christian, said the bishops had
misunderstood the therapy. "There is so much bad information about
reiki, anti-Christian information, on the internet," she said.

"It says we channel spirits and that's not true. Reiki balances energy
in the same way as acupuncture or reflexology. I know of two nuns in
the Philadelphia area, one who runs a retreat centre, who have done
wonderful work. The bishops weren't talking to women like that."

-
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2009
http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-03-31-catholic-bishops-in-us-ban-japanese-reiki

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Catholic bishops in US ban Japanese reiki

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Why am I not surprised?
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:10 pm

What the Heck???
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Sadly I am not surprised

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Can't be sure how trustworthy the Guardian is, as it's kind of tabloid-y, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit - with websites like http://www.christianreiki.eu/Page1_eng.htm going around. Rolling Eyes

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Can't be sure how trustworthy the Guardian is, as it's kind of tabloid-y, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit - with websites like http://www.christianreiki.eu/Page1_eng.htm going around. Rolling Eyes

It's tabloid-y but it is considered fairly reliable journalism.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kartari on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:The church's guidelines state: "A Catholic who puts his or her trust in reiki would be operating in the realm of superstition, ...

The irony... one wonders if such people could function in life if the huge blinders they wear took physical form.

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:...the no man's land that is neither faith nor science. Superstition corrupts one's worship of God by turning one's religious feeling and practice in a false direction."

Translation: whatever beliefs the Church condones is called "faith" and whatever the Church disapproves of is called "superstition". And any direction that does not point to where the Church deems it should be pointed is a "false direction".
Kartari

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:40 am

I have never experienced Reiki. For those that have, how do you feel differently afterward? What does it do?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 am

Oh, yeah! No superstition involved in Christianity!!!
Whistle2

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kartari on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:17 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Guidelines issued by the committee on doctrine at the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops warn healthcare workers and chaplains that the therapy "lacks scientific credibility"

And don't let me forget to single out this absurdly ironic comment as well... do you have to have a degree in Utter Blindness to qualify for membership in this committee or what?!
Kartari

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Exactly, the irony is what pisses me off.

I was hesitant about Reiki for years (being Christian) but eventually became a practitioner. It's very nice and, I believe, safe. I don't consider it very 'strong', in that it can't be misused and hurt someone else.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:41 pm

I really don't understand the problem of combining Reiki and Christianity. confused
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Because they say it's facilitated by Satan and deeeeeeeeeeemooooooons.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why they feel threatened enough by it to decide it is satanic in the first place.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 am

gillyflower wrote:I have never experienced Reiki. For those that have, how do you feel differently afterward? What does it do?

It's pretty fantastic.

I was coming down with what turned out to be an absolutely agonizing intestinal flu some years ago. The asst. mgr. of the bookstore where I worked was a Level 2 Reiki practitioner.

I was about to give up trying to work as I had such agonizing cramps that I couldn't even stand upright. She did a treatment without even touching my body. All she did was move her hands near my lower back as I sat sideways on a chair so that she could reach anywhere the length of my back. After about ten minutes, it left me completely pain free. I felt a bit lightheaded but had no intestinal symptoms at all.

Unfortunately, the relief only lasted for about an hour, and then I was beastly ill for several days. She mentioned that a Reiki Master could probably have rebalanced my natural energies to the point that my body could have combatted the flu so that it hardly bothered me.

Later that night, I literally woke myself up screaming from the pain, this flu was THAT bad. So, the fact that her treatment left me entirely pain free for an hour was that much more amazing.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:09 am

That's the only problem I've had with using it, is that the relief only lasts so long. Great for temporary things like headaches and minor pains but larger problems that are persistent will keep causing problems.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kartari on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:38 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Yeah, but that doesn't explain why they feel threatened enough by it to decide it is satanic in the first place.

My experiences with Catholicism growing up have taught me well that the things they claim don't need to make any logical sense for them to be believed. There is no good reason to be so opposed to reiki, it's just a simple healing art. It seems to me that they base their decisions entirely on interpreting cryptic ancient passages and the fear of incurring YHWH's wrath if they should ever err in interpreting His will. With this frame of mind, anything they are not familiar with can seem threatening to them, so they are very cautious and exclusive about what is acceptable to them.
Kartari

Back to top Go down

Post by Kartari on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:That's the only problem I've had with using it, is that the relief only lasts so long. Great for temporary things like headaches and minor pains but larger problems that are persistent will keep causing problems.

That's been my limited experience as well. It is very useful for temporary relief, and one needs to go periodically to continually release the same problems, like going to a chiropractor. It's better imo to relieve the psychological causes of and about the problems to begin with, though that can sometimes take lifetimes, so we have tools like reiki in the meantime. Smile
Kartari

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am

^ What Kartari said. Very Happy I almost likened it to chiropractors actually in my last post.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi all, when I first heard about this ban (yesterday), I had an entirely different 'take' on it because i saw it as one more attempt to 'reign' in all the nuns and lay people (whom I would guess are mostly women) practicing Reiki on a regular basis in hospices and hospitals all over the US. I see the male clergy as being jealous/fearful of this new 'power' claimed by (given to) these women. Perhaps the priests were feeling 'left out' and also threatened by the connectedness the practice of Reiki fosters between those who 'give' and those who 'receive'. Plus, Reiki is pretty egalitarian and doesn't require a clerical collar to 'administer' it to someone!

I'm not a Catholic but am a Christian who practices Reiki under the auspices of a healing ministry at my church. And, we are the only place in our large city which regularly holds a Reiki Share each month for the wider Reiki community, many of whom are non-Christians. It has become a wonderful gathering place for people of many diverse backgrounds. Numerous Reiki Master/Teachers do attend and several were trained/attuned by nuns!

I am at Level ll myself. After i was attuned to level l in November of '07, I placed my hands on my (young) cat who was sick with what the vet (and dianostic tests) said was 'liver failure'. He was very jaundiced and getting weaker by the day. Each time I put my hands on him, he would just lay there, seeming to soak 'it' in! My other cat would come around and want my hands on her too....and even though this was different than my regular petting of them, they still seemed to love it.

My sick cat had to be force fed small amounts of liquified food many times a day and as he lay in my arms I continued to give him Reiki as well....not anticipating any other outcome but that it might help him die peacefully, without too much pain. After a month, I saw him lick himself and this simple little act alerted me that something was different, maybe even improving. A few days more and he playfully stuck out his paw toward the other cat. By Christmas time, I was beginning to hope he might recover after all; the liver is supposed to be a resilient organ.

By mid-January the vet pronounced him healthy because his blood tests were normal....he was still 'yellow' but not like before. The vet was scratching her head about his recovery but I didn't get a chance to tell her about the Reiki. I tried to continue with the hands-on Reiki but he kept shrugging it off...and wrestling with the other cat. He's very healthy now and seems fully recovered.

My hubby has many back problems and regularly asks for a 'treatment'. He's a scientist and sceptic but does like the way Reiki helps him feel better. I can't explain how or why.....but know it's like one of those nebulous things where you say to yourself...."Nothing's changed, yet everything is different!" Love and Peace all,
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Hey! I'm all for anything that will stop/relieve/prevent a migraine.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Mon May 11, 2009 8:16 am

tmarie, I did send you Reiki healing energy this past Friday.

Have you ever tried sending your head pain into the 'heavens'???

Lower body pain can be sent down into the earth for cleansing and renewal.
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Thu May 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Peep Wall
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Since when doCatholic bishops get into medicine? When do Catholics listen to Catholic bishops? I've aged, found some answers, and moved on...the world has gone to hell in a handbasket! People wear me out! Stir
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:18 am

So is Reiki tolerated at Baptist Hospitals and other denominations?
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:45 am

Chokmah wrote:So is Reiki tolerated at Baptist Hospitals and other denominations?

That's an interesting question, Chokmah. I don't know but would guess probably not since likely quite a lot of fervent Christians think Reiki is "New Age" and thus demonic.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top