Do we have any musicians here?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do we have any musicians here?

Post by wontgetfooledagain on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Just wondering if there are any other musicians on this website yet.. who would like to talk "shop" with me. Smile

Yes.. I'm one of those who can't leave a music store without buying some sort of instrument.. which is why I don't go very often.. I'd go broke!

I play guitar, keyboards and drums.. so .. if you would like to discuss any of those instruments (or others..) let's do it!!! Smile

Rob

wontgetfooledagain

http://www.myspace.com/robertvincentmusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Do we have any musicians here?

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:35 pm

I play french horn. And I have a thing for piano players.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Well.. I'm not sure I can talk shop about French Horns.. but I can try! Smile

That's funny that you say that about piano players. The running joke in all the rock bands I've been in.. is that the keyboard players are geeks... and never get the girls! LOL..

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:43 pm

wontgetfooledagain wrote:Well.. I'm not sure I can talk shop about French Horns.. but I can try! Smile

That's funny that you say that about piano players. The running joke in all the rock bands I've been in.. is that the keyboard players are geeks... and never get the girls! LOL..

They've got amazing hands, both the women and the men. The keyboard player is most likely the one to get me in the sack because of those hands. The man I married is actually a piano player. Not professionally, but still...
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Hey Rob!

I sing, play the piano (self-taught), the flute, clarinet, harmonica and I'm learning to play the guitar. I used to take violin lessons but it's an instrument that demands dedication that I just can't give right now.

I'm currently discovering my ability to put together melodies, working on my first song with my cousin. Everything I write is in French and most music I prefer to sing is too.

I have a question for you, do you know a good website for guitar chords? But the kind where it shows you where to put your fingers? I'm very visual...and I'm a lefty.
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 pm

See, Rob. I told you piano players were hot! Very Happy
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:39 pm

I played violin all throughout middle and high school. I eventually ended up concertmaster of my high school class. I haven't played since then, about five years, and realized how horribly out of practice I am when I picked it back up one day a week or so ago.

I can sort of plunk around on the piano, it's just getting the left and right hands coordinated that's the problem. And I'm self taught on the guitar and bass guitar. But I'm not terribly good at either.
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:40 pm

I used to could play the piano with the help of chords. The simple stuff. My brain isn't wired to complexly work both hands at the same time. When I bought my house it came with an old piano with broken keys and strings (yay!) so one project will be restoring it.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:44 pm

I am classically trained. I can play the piano, but I can't make it talk, if you know what I mean. Those are the people I really admire.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I come from a family of musicians, everybody either sings or plays an instrument. It's in my DNA.
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:55 am

Mintie wrote:Hey Rob!

I sing, play the piano (self-taught), the flute, clarinet, harmonica and I'm learning to play the guitar. I used to take violin lessons but it's an instrument that demands dedication that I just can't give right now.

I'm currently discovering my ability to put together melodies, working on my first song with my cousin. Everything I write is in French and most music I prefer to sing is too.

I have a question for you, do you know a good website for guitar chords? But the kind where it shows you where to put your fingers? I'm very visual...and I'm a lefty.

Hello Mintie,

That's quite an array of instruments you play. Smile I also have a violin, I love the instrument.. but have yet to put in the time needed to learn it. My newest instrument that I'm learning is the mandolin. It's a bit tricky, the frets are so tiny.. it takes a lot of getting used to. And good to hear that you are writing also!

As for a website... I did some quick searches and found one that might help...

Here is a link to it...

http://www.guitar-players-toolbox.com/basic-guitar-chord-charts.html

That particular page is for basic open chords. There are also more advanced chords displayed on the website. Hope that helps,

And btw, my son is a lefty and plays guitar as well. Are you using a right handed guitar that you have flipped upside down.. or a left handed guitar? I found a left handed guitar for him.. and it is strung the standard way. However, I know some left handers who flipped right handed guitars over and have kept the strings the way they were. They are essentially playing the guitar upside down. If that is the case with you.. then the chord charts on that website won't really work very well.

Rob

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:03 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:See, Rob. I told you piano players were hot! Very Happy

Well I don't know... there's nothing like a woman with a guitar in her hands....as Katy Perry displays so well here. Wink Good hands are needed to play the guitar as well.. you know. Wink

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:11 am

Mintie wrote:I come from a family of musicians, everybody either sings or plays an instrument. It's in my DNA.

Yes, it's in my blood too. Both of my parents are musicians. My dad is classically trained pianist.. and my mom was the organist at church...and an amazing singer. All 3 of my brothers are professional musicians as well. We had are own little Partridge Family thing going on when we were young.

Last edited by wontgetfooledagain on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:12 am

I have a lefty guitar, a real beauty Smile Thanks for the link.
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:47 am

I almost finished a degree in music prior to switching my major and minor around. I'm a percussionist by trade, though learned brasswinds and woodwinds as I intended to teach, was close to passing my piano proficiency test, and all that.

I've played for both love and money, in orchestras, wind ensembles, rock bands, country bands, jazz bands, and marching bands. I currently help run a drum & bugle corps, where I write/arrange the music, among other things.

The herd of instruments grazing in our apartment include numerous hand drums (I play for belly dancers), a pile of shells for a large drumset, a stack of marching drums, keyboard, acoustic-electric bass guitar, harp, and a hammered dulcimer (which we intend to sell). Oh, I have a 2-valve soprano bugle (the corps') sitting here, too, for random practice.

I make joyous noises all sorts of ways.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by HailToTheSquirrel on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I used to could play the piano with the help of chords. The simple stuff. My brain isn't wired to complexly work both hands at the same time. When I bought my house it came with an old piano with broken keys and strings (yay!) so one project will be restoring it.

TIGER!!! YOU AND I ARE NOW KINDRED!!

My wife gives me so much sh** whenever I say "I used to could". I say it a lot and it drives her batty.

As for music WGFA, I play a mean ham sandwich but that's about it.

HailToTheSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:22 pm

I don't know that I would consider myself a musician, but I can play recognizable songs on the fife, dulcimer and now the Native American flute. (I think Chiyo can play the NA flute better than I can though....Thanks for the websites, BTW, I'm having a blast learning new songs!)

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm trained in classical voice. My teacher at school wanted me to work on my masters and then move to N.Y. but i became so tired of music after all the years, that i haven't sang much at all.
I can play the piano but i'm not terrible good at it.
I bought a celtic harp with the intent of learning how to play. So far, it's gathering dust and i'm still looking for a job so i can pay for the lessons.
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:04 am

My husband just made up a song about elevator butt in cats. I am hoping he'll play it for me, in addition to singing it. It is a hilarious thing to hear!
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:48 am

I'm glad to see some other flute players here! They say when the Native American flute calls.....you need to answer. And i did recently. I was in a shop and a cedar flute 'called' to me. I didn't pick it up, barely looked at it and went away...for about a week....but it wouldn't 'leave me alone'!

I'd played flute and piccolo in school and church and was in marching band in high school but don't consider myself a musician at all...but it was through music that I found 'art' and discovered I'm really a very visual thinker! I taught art for 30 years to kids of all ages. And I have a great appreciation for musicians and their magick.

So I researched the Native American flute for an entire week, studying various sites and learning what others had to say or show about it. Here's one site (below) I really got a kick out of....this guy grows the bamboo which he makes his flutes from, and he's from South Florida (my native land)! I may actually order one of his Kiowa love flutes in the future.

And then I called the shop about the flute, and did go back and get it. It's been my 'secret delight' this week as I've learned to make some beautiful sounds on it. It's a totally different approach from the flute of my youth! I hope to use it for meditation, and for healing, and then give it to my son for his birthday...he's Choctaw Indian and very musical. That's why no one in my family knows about it. I want it to be a surprise!

This guy is fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f51yPfhQZn8&feature=related

Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:16 am

Lolkat -

Welcome to the Native American Flute Family! In case you haven't found these sites yet, these are a couple of awesome resources for finding songs and fellow flute players.

Enjoy!

http://www.flutetree.com/songbook/contemporary/index.html

http://www.lanaflutes.com/music.php

http://www.flutetree.com/songbook/web/index.html
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 am

Thank you so much Chiyo, what wonderful sites! I will enjoy getting to know them. I play a little each day (one site said not to start off playing too much at first until the flute adjusts to having 'moisture' in it....I do use a hankie wound around a wooden skewer to keep it from getting too damp inside).

Yesterday i found some written notes and was able to play Amazing Grace right off the bat!!! My right brain wants me to learn to play a lot of songs......but this flute is really for my left brain.....for meditation....and since I don't have a very good musical 'ear'......I think it may be a while before I'm able to go 'there', where I want to go....or maybe let go. Cheers all!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 am

Chiyo, do you name your flute(s)??? Does anyone name their musical instruments??? Just wondering.
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Hey, I've been on Flutetree ALL D*** DAY!!!

But I can play House of the Rising Sun now, with LOTS of Native American SOUL!!!!

(Amazing Grace and House of the Rising Sun......what a repetroir!)

Hava nagila was a bit too tricky for me!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 pm

I like this guy!

http://www.ehow.com/video_4397213_improvising-native-american-flute.html

OK, I'm shuttin up about the flutes now.........Lol
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content