Embracing the Lord's Prayer

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Embracing the Lord's Prayer

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

They are a group of three women, one Muslim, one Christian, and one Jewish, who wrote a book about how they got to know and accept each other. They then started a group on the old b-net that was talking about it.

all

That's the cliffs notes version, of course.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu May 14, 2009 7:35 pm

That's a better explanation! Thanks All.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Oh, I think I saw that. I didn't bother to join; they seemed to be of the "all gods are one god AND our god" flavor and I didn't think we would have a whole lot to talk about.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Thu May 14, 2009 11:26 pm

I was actually referring to the book itself. (sorry for confusing everyone)

In the book all the women spoke about being so inclusive since they now understand ALL three religions. And like ALLthegoodnames said, it was very much a book written only from their mindset and there was no room for anything else.
It irritated me, but other than that I think that the book was wonderful. Also the book WAS written about these three particular religions and no others, so I can't fault them for it. I just wished that they had tried to express some interest in learning about more religions towards the end instead of seeing it as if they were completely done with their learning. And then on top of it all talk about how inclusive they were when they had only learned about three of the worlds religions.

I really liked the way the Jewish and Muslim woman spoke about the Israeli and Palestinian issue. They had a very honest conversation and I think a lot of people can learn a lot from their exchange in the book.

I bought the book for several people as a Christmas presents.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 am

Ah, now Im out of the dark. Thanks All and Maya.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri May 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Meh. I have bashed my head into many brick walls trying to explain to people that No! it is not interfaith if you let the Catholics join. Rolling Eyes

You have to let everybody play in your sandbox; picking and choosing doesn't help anyone.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri May 15, 2009 6:32 pm

IT still boggles the mind that people do not see Catholics as Christian. You would think people have better things to do then even think about this foolishness. Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Fri May 15, 2009 10:45 pm

I had a Catholic tell me once that she didn't consider my religion to be a "real" religion! Funny, since we believe in the same God and the same Jesus! Where I come from, until recently, most people assumed that if you were Christian, then you were Catholic!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat May 16, 2009 12:16 am

All religions are real religions. And people often show how arrogant they are when they presume to know what is going on in other people's minds, or what others do or should believe.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat May 16, 2009 12:24 am

I agree, SG. Just because you don't believe in my religion, doesn't make it any less valid....and vise versa.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 16, 2009 12:18 pm

I agree, all religions are real religions. And we should all have respect for the right to follow as we feel is right for us.

And I respect everyone's journey with the Divine. Nothing like this was ever discussed, when I was growing up. I knew not everyone was Catholic, but thought Christian was Christian. If you believed and followed Jesus you were Christian
I believe if you say you are Christian, you are, after all you would know right?
Ones faith is private, sacred, and very special Smile

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat May 16, 2009 12:27 pm

How could a religion not be a "real" religion? That just doesn't make sense to me.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat May 16, 2009 12:56 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:How could a religion not be a "real" religion? That just doesn't make sense to me.

all

Well, duh, if you're not following "real" gods... Rolling Eyes

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat May 16, 2009 1:05 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:How could a religion not be a "real" religion? That just doesn't make sense to me.

all

So...

Christianity isn't a "real" religion?

Cool

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Evil Grin

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

all

Goofs.

I do agree, at least will ALL, Razz kidding.

That is probably how people think, but the odd thing is as this certain type of main-stream religionist says that Wicca or other Pagan religions are not real religions, (Probably for the reason Tiger stated) they (These same people) are also saying the "Atheism" is a religion.

How the frig does that work???????????????

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat May 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Secularism is a religion, in their opinion too. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 16, 2009 1:16 pm

good gracious Rolling Eyes

If anyone ever plays the is "not a real religion" card, I will see if I can play the "how can secularism and atheism can be then?" cyclops

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sat May 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Even Scientology is a religion, and a real one at that...

The difference from those religionists points of view is that only their religion has access to the Truth(tm), and that while most will support the right of other people to have other religious beliefs, they know that only they have the Truth.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat May 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I know so little about Scientology, that I could not begin to comment of it. And since most people criticising other faiths know nothing about the faith they criticise, they should stay quiet about them as well.

I try to only speak about stuff I have some real, (real, as in evidence of education on )

If the follower calls it a religion, it is, at the very least it is for them. That again is all that matters. No one, no matter how arrogant or brain washed they are, has the "TRUTH" for anyone else.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat May 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Very true, MC. Who am I to determine how anybody else relates to the Divine (or whatever they wish to call it)? My spiritual path is my own, and it should therefore be respected. This world would be such a better place if everybody stopped judging one another!

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat May 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I know! Like it matters what your neighbor believes as long as they are good neighbors.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat May 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Exactly!! Hug2

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:59 pm

I have an LDS friend who varies from extreme to extreme. He knows I'm pagan, and used to care about saying offensive things around me. Until the last few months or so..."I don't think scientology is a real relgion" then about Greek gods, "How could anyone worship something like that as a god?" and the final straw "Catholic priests are gay and like little boys" followed by "All gay people are child molesters". He had so many nasty horrible things to say about how gays could "sneak" into the Mormon church, etc. I asked him to leave my house and never speak like that again... you know what he said? "whatever".... HOW FREAKING RUDE IS THAT?

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Are you sure he's a friend?
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Well, until fairly recently I was sure. We've been close since sophmore year of high school (so about 6 or 7 years now). He's gone through phases like this, but he was always open minded enough to apologize and rethink his stance. We used to have some fun discussions. This is the worst I've ever seen him...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top