Why do Catholics kneel to carved idols upon entering their churches?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why do Catholics kneel to carved idols upon entering their churches?

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Do you have any good ideas? I don't really want to rehash what happened with Barbara, the edits of posts, the deleted posts and the exchange of emails. She is no longer here to defend herself and I don't think that it is fair to rehash something that happened several months ago, with much of it forgotten, and many of the pieces missing. Probably it could have been handled better. It is a learning lesson.

But I also want to get something off my chest too. This has been a very quiet board for months and I think of it as a board that has served its purpose and is not much needed anymore. Maybe other people think differently and if so I hope they will post or say otherwise. I miss the people who used to post. We were a family, with squabbles sometimes yes, but we got over it. Now I'm thinking that it may be past time to retire this board.

I was offended, John, when you haven't posted in a long time, dredged up an old thread and used it to tell me, SG and Tina off and then declare you were leaving. I think you left a long time ago. It's okay to leave or move on. I don't think it is really necessary to do it this way.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 pm

I agree with you, Gilly, that this has been a very quiet board for months. I, too, miss all the people that used to post. I don't post in here nearly as much as some people. I simply don't like conflict...and there is A LOT of it in here.

IMHO, for this board to survive, I think we need to actually welcome new people....not attack them. It's not just this thread....this has been an ongoing theme for quite awhile...and it really saddens me. To take a line from John, why don't we educate the ignorant....and maybe we could do it with a little more kindness? New people could actually add a new perspective...make us look at things a little differently.

I don't know the details behind this thread...it's too late anyway....but maybe moving forward we could try a different tactic. Just my two cents for what they're worth....

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I fully agree with welcoming new people but mostly the ones who do come here are spammers looking for a place to advertise. They simply are not interested in discussion.

If we depend upon new people discovering this board by chance, then it is doomed in my opinion. It would take old posters returning and each of them dragging a few with them. I don't see that happening. Facebook has replaced this place. For my part, I will put a better foot forward for newcomers or others.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 pm

((((Gilly)))) I fear you're right. The Facebook page certainly seems to be taking off. I still like it here though. I know everybody here....not the case on Facebook.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 am

My head hurts. I thought the issue was dead.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Tina is Catholic and yes, she was PISSED at the ignorance in the question. And I DID answer her question... We do NOT kneel before and pray to anything but God.
I'm sorry, but I cannot and will not welcome ANYONE who asks an inflammatory question. "Why do pagans worship the devil and sacrifice children in their devil rites?" Would have gotten the same response.

Something like "Why do Catholics have statues" would have gotten a better response. THAT is a question of a person genuinely interested.

Also, this is a debate board. We have education boards. Not buying that the o.p. ever wanted anything but a fight.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top