Why do Catholics kneel to carved idols upon entering their churches?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do Catholics kneel to carved idols upon entering their churches?

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 am

The scriptures are quite clear on this issue.
(Exodus 20:4, 5) 4 “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth. 5 You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them, because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation, in the case of those who hate me;

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do Catholics kneel to carved idols upon entering their churches?

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Why do Christians insist on criticizing the beliefs of those they have never met?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Why do Christians try to tell people in other denominations that they are doing it wrong?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 pm

They don't. Why do ignorant idiots make up crap instead of actually LEARNING something?

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:37 am

This is an earnest question...
I was married to a Catholic when I was young and upon entering the cathedral we would kneel and make the sign of the cross in front of a statue of the Christ on a cross.
I never understood why that was necessary, could someone who is a devout Catholic please respond with the actual reasons why this is part of the worship of the Catholic denomination? Thank you...
And for goodness sake... those of you who are so very rude, get a grip on your tongue....(James 1:26) 26 If any man seems to himself to be a formal worshiper and yet does not bridle his tongue, but goes on deceiving his own heart, this man’s form of worship is futile.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:42 am

Barbara M Wheeler wrote:This is an earnest question...
I was married to a Catholic when I was young and upon entering the cathedral we would kneel and make the sign of the cross in front of a statue of the Christ on a cross.
I never understood why that was necessary, could someone who is a devout Catholic please respond with the actual reasons why this is part of the worship of the Catholic denomination? Thank you...
And for goodness sake... those of you who are so very rude, get a grip on your tongue....(James 1:26) 26 If any man seems to himself to be a formal worshiper and yet does not bridle his tongue, but goes on deceiving his own heart, this man’s form of worship is futile.

Listen, bible quotes only work on Christians who also speak in bible quotes. You can have duel in bible quotes if you wish. On non-Christians it really isn't effective. I think the first poster is rude in trying to tell people who belong to a different denomination of Christianity that they are doing it wrong.

It would have been better to start off as you have now, asking why it is done.

Last edited by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:48 am

To widen this up a bit, although in the Catholic forum maybe it isn't the place, I give respect to the god(s) of the place when I enter. Even if it isn't my god, it is his or her house/place - s/he is the house holder so to speak and it is only proper to greet the god(s) rather than ignoring them. Does anyone else do that?

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:57 am

gillyflower wrote:

Listen, bible quotes only work on Christians who also speak in bible quotes. You can have duel in bible quotes if you wish. On non-Christians it really isn't effective. I think the first poster is rude in trying to tell people who belong to a different denomination of Christianity that they are doing it wrong.

I did ASK!
The simple word WHY attests to that fact! So don't be so quick to JUMP on and earnest inquiry.. Please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 am

gillyflower wrote:To widen this up a bit, although in the Catholic forum maybe it isn't the place, I give respect to the god(s) of the place when I enter. Even if it isn't my god, it is his or her house/place - s/he is the house holder so to speak and it is only proper to greet the god(s) rather than ignoring them. Does anyone else do that?

I believe it is the wiser course to ask a Catholic what the Catholics believe, not another denomination... If I want to understand the Methodists, I will ask in their forum discussion any questions that would best be understood by them.

But, thank you for that interesting angle on your views. Are you a Catholic?

Last edited by Barbara M Wheeler on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 am

Barbara M Wheeler wrote:
gillyflower wrote:

I did ASK!
The simple word WHY attests to that fact! So don't be so quick to JUMP on and earnest inquiry.. Please.

It didn't come off as an earnest inquiry. It came off as an attack. There is a good way to ask and a bad way to ask.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 am

Barbara M Wheeler wrote:
gillyflower wrote:To widen this up a bit, although in the Catholic forum maybe it isn't the place, I give respect to the god(s) of the place when I enter. Even if it isn't my god, it is his or her house/place - s/he is the house holder so to speak and it is only proper to greet the god(s) rather than ignoring them. Does anyone else do that?

I believe it is the wiser course to ask a Catholic what the Catholics believe, not another denomination... If I want to understand the Methodists, I will ask in their forum discussion any questions that would best be understood by them.

But, thank you for that interesting angle on your views. Are you a Catholic?

No, and I never have been. You will find perhaps one Catholic here and maybe a few that were Catholic once. If you want to ask only Catholics you need to go to a different board where you will find a lot of them.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 am

The name of the forum here is "Catholicism Debate"?
You people should actually understand the message YOU are sending and stop being quite so rude to those earnestly seeking an adult response. So why don't you go in your accounts log now and remove me the way you have threatened. I have not found a way to remove myself form your forum...It would be doing me a HUGE favour.
Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

If you had asked instead of assuming, you would have discovered that this board has a lot of diversity in the religion of the posters. One of the things that we have always promoted is a place where everyone is welcome, no matter what religion or no religion. We don't attack other people's beliefs. We don't try to convert them to another denomination or religion. Instead we try to discuss commonalities we have across religions.

You brought up a topic that is something that can be asked of a lot of people. How do you behave when you enter a holy place? Why do you do that?

But the owners will discuss taking away all the different boards. Maybe we just need a few, after all.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am

To anyone who wants to respond to Barbara - she asked to be deleted from the forum and I did as she wished after a pm exchange.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Good evening[smile].
Gillyflower, in regards to your question within post number seven, yes, I do do that.

Too bad I didn't discover this thread sooner. I might have been able to help Barbara. Oh well[shrugs shoulders]. I hope that she found what she was after.

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 am

To say I'm appalled at the way this person's question was treated on a board designed to answer or critique questions regarding Catholicism is an understatement. And it appears that the only people bothering to respond aren't Christian at all, but of some other belief system, which would tell me that they are in no way knowledgeable on the subject, and yes, one could even say has an over self evaluated opinion of themselves.

The poster's initial question was not rude. It was perhaps ignorant, but as I've heard it ignorance is simply the lack of proper education. The answers given, along with the subsequent removal of this person from the discussion board was stupid. You can fix ignorant with a little education. But you just can't fix stupid.

What better place to find an answer to a question of how Catholics go about their rites of worship than a Catholic board?! And who is less qualified to answer those questions than a pair of Pagans? Who are you two? The Pagan version of Adephle from Beliefnet on this forum?

Now...... Feel free to have me barred from the site.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:23 am

I have to agree with Southern Hick: "Too bad I didn't discover this thread sooner. I might have been able to help Barbara. I probably could of helped in my small mindedness. I was BORN, BAPTISTED, RAISED, & SCHOOLED IN THE CATHOLIC RELIGION!
However, I don't know why there were rude comments to begin with....meeting other people's expectations of DISCUSSION! I didn't know there was a "proper" & inproper" way to ASK....I was just taught that "NO QUESTION EVER ASKED IS THE STUPID QUESTION.
The question was posted under Debate/Catholism Debate...where else was the suggestion made to post...I mean I'm NEW here, SEEKING ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS!....I would like to have Barbara's personal email addy so I can smooth the bullshit, raging waters of ignorance!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am

Then answer the question, please, either one of you.

No private email addresses are given out without the consent of the person.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:43 pm

What's the point of answering the question now, Gily? Didn't you say she was removed from the boards? That would be like closing the barn door after all the cows get out. The time to act was when the question first came up. And if you didn't know the answer, don't post until someone who does replied. Then if the situation turned ugly, you could come in with all to the weight of your lofty position, and smite her...... justifiably. What this seeker got instead was two administrators jumping to conclusions rather than letting the question run it's due course. If it was a troll, what better way to rid them than starve them out? Don't answer questions you don't know, so as not make fools out of yourselves. Even better yet, don't make yourself look even more foolish by jumping the gun and instigating a quarrel.

Willow says no problem on the addy.... It wouldn't make the person feel better about ever coming back to the board again. As for myself, when I see the same attitude displayed here as I did on Beliefnet by mods or admin, I see no reason to come back again either.

Reply to this posting or don't, it's all the same. I'm done with this forum.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:58 pm

...Isn't T.Marie a Catholic? She seemed pretty aggravated by the question, or at least how it was asked.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm

john5180 wrote:What's the point of answering the question now, Gily? Didn't you say she was removed from the boards? That would be like closing the barn door after all the cows get out. The time to act was when the question first came up. And if you didn't know the answer, don't post until someone who does replied. Then if the situation turned ugly, you could come in with all to the weight of your lofty position, and smite her...... justifiably. What this seeker got instead was two administrators jumping to conclusions rather than letting the question run it's due course. If it was a troll, what better way to rid them than starve them out? Don't answer questions you don't know, so as not make fools out of yourselves. Even better yet, don't make yourself look even more foolish by jumping the gun and instigating a quarrel.

Willow says no problem on the addy.... It wouldn't make the person feel better about ever coming back to the board again. As for myself, when I see the same attitude displayed here as I did on Beliefnet by mods or admin, I see no reason to come back again either.

Reply to this posting or don't, it's all the same. I'm done with this forum.

Certainly, I really like getting a lecture by someone who doesn't wait around for a reply and one additionally who jumps to conclusions about posts that happened several months ago, too. Y'all just have a nice day.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Gorm_Sionnach wrote:...Isn't T.Marie a Catholic? She seemed pretty aggravated by the question, or at least how it was asked.

Well, this was a bit out of context as it were and I see no reason to dredge it all up again.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:02 pm

[...Reads through newest posts within thread..... Scared .....slowly backs away and leaves...]

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Southern Hick wrote:
[...Reads through newest posts within thread..... Scared .....slowly backs away and leaves...]

I'm sorry for my part of it.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemen[subdued smile].
I am just sorry to see that things have taken such a turn here among the members, and that the interaction within this thread is how it seems to have started.
Now...how shall we go about trying to fix it? Group Hug

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top