Happy Thanksgiving?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Thanksgiving?

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 pm

I realize that many here actually enjoy Thanksgiving, so I will try not to be too harsh, but I think this year's event is going to blow for a few reasons.
To start with, I of course am of two minds about Thanksgiving, the "Squanto gets a musket ball to the gut" parts of it bothering me and all.
And then since my mother-in-law died in March, I was pretty sure this holiday was going to suck no matter what I did to make it better.
And to top it all off, my mother, otherwise known as the Queen of Passive-agressiva, long live the queen, has decided that this holiday is all about her.
She tried to guilt the husband and I into going to a Mexican restaurant for Thanksgiving lunch, yelling about how the husband didn't really care about family after he turned her down and in turn invited her and my dad over for a traditional Thanksgiving lunch at our house -- even offering to cook himself.And now it turns out we have had an invite to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving since August, but my mother had told my grandmother we were eating with her at the Mexican restaurant. She herself told the husband she wouldn't go to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving because "there are some people in the family we don't like."

Growl.
Anyone want to trade families for the holidays?

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Happy Thanksgiving?

Post by gillyflower on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 am

LOL Well, I established my "new" tradition oh 8 years ago that I went out for Thanksgiving dinner at a very fancy place. It was their (the hotels) tradition to have this huge and oh gods delish and very elaborate buffet, I have never tasted better. Afterwards I took a walk along a river followed (if possible) by a nap.

Nice day. Everyone who joined me instantly made it their tradition too. But the hotel changed hands and the new owners don't do it like that. It just isn't the same even near the same. Sad

In the meantime, I gave my girls all my sets of fancy china and serving dishes, furniture, linens etc. because I decided I was out of the cooking for large crowds business.

So this year, 2 of them have had babies and all of the sudden every last one of them are coming home to roost this Thanksgiving, with husbands and babies in tow and they want the traditional Thanksgiving of their childhood, complete with all the dishes we used to have. I bought 2 plates yesterday because I don't even have enough dishes for everyone. I don't have enough beds either but air mattresses haven't scared anyone off.

I ordered a heritage turkey, to support local farmers and the Heritage breeds. Odd that to support Heritage breeds of turkeys, one must eat them. I hope it tastes okay because it sure is expensive. But that was my minor revolt. We're Eating Local!

And afterwards we'll take a long walk on the Greenway which has finally made its way out to my house. Really pretty it is too.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I realize that many here actually enjoy Thanksgiving, so I will try not to be too harsh, but I think this year's event is going to blow for a few reasons.
To start with, I of course am of two minds about Thanksgiving, the "Squanto gets a musket ball to the gut" parts of it bothering me and all.
And then since my mother-in-law died in March, I was pretty sure this holiday was going to suck no matter what I did to make it better.
And to top it all off, my mother, otherwise known as the Queen of Passive-agressiva, long live the queen, has decided that this holiday is all about her.
She tried to guilt the husband and I into going to a Mexican restaurant for Thanksgiving lunch, yelling about how the husband didn't really care about family after he turned her down and in turn invited her and my dad over for a traditional Thanksgiving lunch at our house -- even offering to cook himself.And now it turns out we have had an invite to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving since August, but my mother had told my grandmother we were eating with her at the Mexican restaurant. She herself told the husband she wouldn't go to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving because "there are some people in the family we don't like."

Growl.
Anyone want to trade families for the holidays?

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving?

I'm game, but feel that you should know what you are getting into first.

This year is supposed to be my wife's side's turn. We've alternated for the past decade, one year going to my wife's side, the next year going to my families side. A fact which neither side has been able to figure out yet, and needs to be explained to them every year.

Now, her grandma is senile, but the rest of the family refuses to put her in a home. Just get her license taken away so she can't drive, and double key all the doors on the house so that she can't run away when they are at work. Her husband died 25 years ago or so, and that was when my wife's aunt moved in down there.

Now one may think this sounds like a good thing, that she moved in to be with her mom in her time of need. She didn't. She moved in because it was rent free. She has stayed there for the last 25 years. She has systematically destroyed any relationships that she has had outside of family, and claimed it was so she could spend more time with her pug, which is her surrogate child and she hand feeds. A dog which, by the way, was diagnosed with an untreatable cancer 4 months ago.

My wife's mom and dad got a divorce 8 years ago, a fact which her mom has not moved past. In fact, it is hardly a week that goes by that she feels the need to accuse of of taking "his" side in the divorce. 2 years ago, she threw a fit and walked out of the last thanksgiving dinner that we had.

My wife's dad married his brothers first ex wife, and moved to amish country. That being said, he is the most normal of the crew, but not in the state.

Currently my wife's side is trying to guilt us into going. After her mom threw a fit and walked out, we decided that we were not going to get together with her side any more. My wife has plans to make her own thanksgiving dinner. It is after all a harvest celebration.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

If you were here, and not in Nebraska, I would suggest we have a big meal of our own. And I wouldn't play mindgames with your wife. Very Happy

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Same here! You could come to my house. We got tired of being the ones to travel for EVERY holiday so we do our thing at home. You'd be welcome and no headgames. Games are for kids.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

If I was around you guys, I'd take you up on that Very Happy

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:31 am

Good morning ladies and gentlemen[smile].
Despite the trials and tribulations that some of us are going through at this time, I would still like to wish everyone here a very Happy Thanksgiving Day, and that I hope you all find some ways to enjoy your holiday weekend[?].
Well, at least look at it this way, perhaps you won't have to encounter these annoying people until the NEXT big holiday[?].
My cousin Penny went out with her trusty .30.30 and shot us a fine big turkey this week from her secret place somewhere along one of the local rivers, that combined with all the fish I'm frying and all the desserts and fixins that my Aunts are all making will make for quite a feast, so we're all set[smile].
Blessed Be,
John.

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Caught your own turkey, rather than storebought? That's fantastic!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Good evening[smile].
Yes, it is our way to get our own meat from the land or surrounding waters. It makes the dish all that more satisfying for us. I personally prefer eating a young Razorback to a turkey, but turkeys are the tradition now, and majority rules, so...[grins and shrugs shoulders]. I do hope that you were able to get things settled within your family, and if not, to have at least been able to find some joy in this days festivities, dear lady[?].

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Strangely enough, Thanksgiving has always been my father's holiday....even when I was growing up and my parents were still married! My mother has always worked on Thanksgiving....she volunteers for it every year because she doesn't really care about that holiday! You see, Christmas is hers! I've had to make a stand that Dad gets some time for that holiday, too! LOL So, I don't see Mom at all on Thanksgiving, and I go to my sister-in-law's for dinner, where my father and stepmother join me. A very nice holiday all in all! Very Happy

I think SG and All should meet somewhere in the middle between Okalahoma and Nebraska and have a nice Turkey Day feast some year! Very Happy

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Certainly would be nice. Smile

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Maybe someday
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 am

Well if you all were around Georgia I'd say come here and teach me how to make a Thanksgiving dinner! I've never done it. We usually either go to my family's in NC or to my husband's family here in town, so I never have to cook anything. My in laws are not festive at all, so it's not unusual for us to have Thanksgiving dinner in the form of sandwiches from the local barbecue joint. Hey, at least you know everyone likes it!

SG, my deepest sympathies about your family...I don't have the patience to deal with drama like that!
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top