"Jesusween" to try and replace Halloween

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: "Jesusween" to try and replace Halloween

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:53 pm

gillyflower wrote:I am in the same boat. I was trained in a tradition - UEW - but my personal practices have evolved into what works for me and I really don't like a lot of falderal.

I though UEW was all about whatever works for you. Or am I misunderstanding them?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I don't understand.
Why would it matter to a Wiccan what that Gerald Gardener guy was or was not?

Well, believe it or not, All, when someone, especially someone who created a new religion, dies there are going to be people later who don't accept that the dead person had any flaws or warts at all. Gardner had plenty. Bringing that up could, at least in the past, start one of the infamous witch wars. Wink

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:01 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
gillyflower wrote:I am in the same boat. I was trained in a tradition - UEW - but my personal practices have evolved into what works for me and I really don't like a lot of falderal.

I though UEW was all about whatever works for you. Or am I misunderstanding them?

They are a lot about that, yes, as long as you work within certain boundaries. There are things that are non-negotiatable. I think that I fall within those boundaries and my practice works for me. Outside of UEW, I'm sure that there are plenty that wouldn't consider me Wiccan.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 am

gillyflower wrote:

They are a lot about that, yes, as long as you work within certain boundaries. There are things that are non-negotiatable. I think that I fall within those boundaries and my practice works for me. Outside of UEW, I'm sure that there are plenty that wouldn't consider me Wiccan.

Eh, I've seen a lot of "UEW isn't Wiccan" stuff anyway. Mostly from BTWs.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:02 pm

gillyflower wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I don't understand.
Why would it matter to a Wiccan what that Gerald Gardener guy was or was not?

Well, believe it or not, All, when someone, especially someone who created a new religion, dies there are going to be people later who don't accept that the dead person had any flaws or warts at all. Gardner had plenty. Bringing that up could, at least in the past, start one of the infamous witch wars. Wink

I can believe it. I just don't understand it. Honestly, what I don't know about Wicca could fill the ocean in, with enough left over to top of the grand canyon, but I'm thinking that guy may have started the religion, but he's not the central figure of it.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I think "Jesusween" is scary. I mean, . . . . *said in a scary voice* . . . "Come and worship me, or burn in an eternal fire! Aaaahhhahahahahahahaha!!!" }:-D

But in all seriousness, it is all pretty stupid indeed. In my opinion, it is just another way to get people to your church so you can prostletize them to the church putting on such functions. . . . . then having more people to potentially give more money to that church. The church I used to go to did [and still does] one of these every year. Blow up play things for the kids, lots of games, and . . . of course . . . a kids show to get people saved. It all springs from their notion that anything that isn't "worshipping god" is demonic. Plain and simple.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen[smile].
It is good to hear from you once again, DeavonReye[smile].
How are things going within that Christian chat forum that we met at were I got into trouble for criticizing character "Asyncritus"? Have you been banned yet[ha.ha.]?

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:44 am

gillyflower wrote:

Right, then, what's a "BTW"?
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Southern Hick wrote:Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen[smile].
It is good to hear from you once again, DeavonReye[smile].
How are things going within that Christian chat forum that we met at were I got into trouble for criticizing character "Asyncritus"? Have you been banned yet[ha.ha.]?

hehe. . . .Not yet. Smile I have to be pretty careful there. Of course, I don't go there all that much anymore. For the most part, there isn't much more for me there. . . . other than "causing trouble" or "making fun of christianity". There ARE a few more interesting characters there now.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

wmdkitty wrote:
gillyflower wrote:

Right, then, what's a "BTW"?

British Traditional Witchcraft

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh, and I've already seen the "Keep the 'Christ' in 'Christmas,'" stuff making the rounds.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:41 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Oh, and I've already seen the "Keep the 'Christ' in 'Christmas,'" stuff making the rounds.

I was wondering when that stuff would start. Unfortunately, it's not if any more......
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm going to have to load up the iPhone because one of our fine radio stations (we don't have many I will listen to) has already switched over to all Christmas music all the time and another will go over next week. I don't mind Christmas music, some of it I like but gods do they have to tart up the malls and airwaves this soon?

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:24 pm

It's a marketing ploy. By playing the music, they get the sheeple to feel the need to rush to spend their money.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Yep, I'm a listen to Christmas music while touring the city looking at Christmas lights and no other time type.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:27 pm

I like to see them doing up evergreen trees, and putting up lights at the darkest time of the year. I just don't really care to listen to them try to explain so poorly how it is christian.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am

You nailed it today on B'net with your post that read:
Well, what goes around comes around. When for over 500 years Christians systematically "converted" peoples at the point of a sword, don't expect me to get all teary eyed because Christian missionaries go into a place where known fanatics of other religions exist, attempting to convert them, and get killed for their efforts.

I came pretty close today on Facebook to telling a friend of my husband's that she could take Christmas and shove it where the sun don't shine. She was going on and on about how Christmas had turned into "just another holiday" and we needed to get Christ back in Christmas.
Aside from a profound lack of understanding of the concept of "Holy Day," she was also insisting my celebration of Yule was actually secular Christmas and I was defaming her religious beliefs.
No chica, it's the other way around. I am celebrating Yule.
You get your sacred holy day off work, and no one questions it. I had to beg mine off this year, and everyone acted like I was putting them out.
Whose the one who has to fight for their religion to be treated seriously, again?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm

That's why right now, I'm not doing anything on facebook, so Joe, if your reading this, don't purge me. I'm currently trying for another position, and if I start going off on facebook, I don't think that would work out.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:35 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:You nailed it today on B'net with your post that read:
Well, what goes around comes around. When for over 500 years Christians systematically "converted" peoples at the point of a sword, don't expect me to get all teary eyed because Christian missionaries go into a place where known fanatics of other religions exist, attempting to convert them, and get killed for their efforts.

I came pretty close today on Facebook to telling a friend of my husband's that she could take Christmas and shove it where the sun don't shine. She was going on and on about how Christmas had turned into "just another holiday" and we needed to get Christ back in Christmas.
Aside from a profound lack of understanding of the concept of "Holy Day," she was also insisting my celebration of Yule was actually secular Christmas and I was defaming her religious beliefs.
No chica, it's the other way around. I am celebrating Yule.
You get your sacred holy day off work, and no one questions it. I had to beg mine off this year, and everyone acted like I was putting them out.
Whose the one who has to fight for their religion to be treated seriously, again?

Ya know, I just thought of this, but if you work at a place that is expected to run 24/7 holidays included, if requesting the 22nd off, offering to work the 25th might endear you to coworkers.....
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Nope. We are closed on the 25th or I would have done precisely that. But I am sure there are those who do that.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:06 pm

When I've had the opportunity to do that in the past, I have. If I get the opportunity to do that again in the future I will.

She shouldn't be bitchin if they close for her damn holiday anyway. It shouldn't be any more to her than if someone wants to take their birthday or anniversary off.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by marizfaith on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Never heard of jesusween before. Just heard about this today lol.
marizfaith

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Kinda creepy, ain't it, Marizfaith? LOL

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:On topic: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/tag/jesus-ween
Okay I know this is way in the past, but since the topic has been awakened. I have this to say, about the link SG posted. In the article is says and I quote " two hundred thousand registered witches"

Where would a Witch go to register?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top