"Jesusween" to try and replace Halloween

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Jesusween" to try and replace Halloween

Post by Southern Hick on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Good day, ladies and gentlemen[smile].
As Halloween is upon us, I was wondering if anyone else here has heard of this new movement "Jesusween"? I just learned of it this week. Your thoughts on it? study

jesusween.com

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Re: "Jesusween" to try and replace Halloween

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 pm

My thoughts? One of the STUPIDEST, all time, no holds barred STUPIDEST things I've ever heard. Need I say more?

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:17 pm

It's right up there with Christians shunning the "Pagan" origins of Halloween by holding harvest festivals... Laughing

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Good evening[smile].

But...but...!
But ladies! Why, just think what it will do for the local economy, though.
After all, with all these people being encouraged to hand out mini-Bibles and other religious items to today's youth instead of treats, surely you can imagine how profits for all the local grocery stores will practically soar through increased sales of toilet Paper and eggs. Cool Wink

Last edited by Southern Hick on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a word.)

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:16 am

LOL Jesusween is a little too close to Jesusweenie

just saying

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:25 am

On topic: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/tag/jesus-ween

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:38 pm

LMAO!!! I know anyone handing out mini bibles BETTER know how to clean eggs off paint and glass.
I "liked" them on FB so I could troll... TED sent me the link. LOL Haven't been in there in awhile, maybe I'll check it out again.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Good evening everyone[tired smile].
Look, I personally don't mind, and even enjoy seeing/hearing about Christians finding new and creative ways to glorify/worship Jesus Christ and/or God. What I have a problem with is when people try to use religion to 'stamp out' a holiday whilst bashing/demonizing other faiths that they see as a 'threat' when such claims/actions can be shown to be unjustified/unsupported by facts. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to do this with, say,... Hanukkah? "Jesusukkah"
The whole thing reeks of Christian Dominionism.

I wonder how they would feel if a Pagan organization decided to instigate a plan to taking back the Cross of Christianity[as it wasn't originally a Christian symbol]. I bet that a good many of them would think that sucked.

If one of them came up to me and tried to hand me a Bible, I wouldn't be rude to them[unless they got too pushy and wouldn't leave me alone when I tried to finally leave], but I wouldn't take one either, as I already have 17 Bibles. I usually have a copy of "How to Share the Gospel with Pagans by Gwydion"[I made a whole bunch of copies of this off the Internet]that I can give to such people.

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:30 pm

I could save you the bother, Southern Hick. How do you share the Gospel with Pagans? Easy. Keep your yap shut. We've heard it all before. Most of us grew up in Christian households.
But I know I am preaching to the choir.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Good evening[smile].
Wandering proselytizers[or posters within Christian chat forums] usually disregard the "How to share the Gospel with Pagans" website/six-page print out I offer to them when they discover that the advice within it is from a Pagan[the author, Gwydion, is a Wiccan]. You'd think that this would make the information most insightful, but many Christians instead interpret this to mean that the advice is inherently flawed....as if the authors religion has "infected" it in some way. I originally just wanted to have something of my own to hand back to such Christians whenever I found myself debating with such a person[smile].

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 am

You're right. It's a great pity, too, because they would at least win respect for actually knowing something of the religions they wish to woo people away from.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:48 am

Good morning ladies and gentlemen[smile].
A scientist friend of mine who was once upon a time a Young Earth Christian Creationist tried to explain to me the mentality of someone like this, and what he basically said was...They see themselves as part of a spiritual elite, and everyone else is the one who's confused, willfully ignorant, stupid, misled,etc.etc., so that when they try to save all of these poor other people, they just can't understand why they're efforts are rejected when they present their case and the "facts of the matter" are sooo obvious...[to them, but remember, they've been trained not to investigate/think about deeply anything branded as contrary to their faith. Doubt is their enemy, and they'll avoid it at any cost. So much of their lives are ruled by fear in some form or another, and the ones I've debated with in the past seemed absolutely terrified of becoming what they think of as a Heretic Scared . If they have a choice between blind faith and self-righteous certainty, and doubtfulness that leads to investigation to satisfy their curiosity, they almost always seem more eager to choose the former. It's easier and "safer".]...they just don't understand how any rational person wouldn't agree with them,...so obviously it MUST be everyone else who's got the problem[this gets really interesting when two theist with the same mindset that belong to different denominations or religions[Like an Evangelical and a Jehovah's Witness]get to arguing with each other. Rules! ], and when they encounter someone who refuses to change, and worse yet, seems happily contented to remain as they are, affraid they quickly give up and run off to "help" someone who's more receptive Zipaway . You'll almost never catch them on a chat forum like "Ex-Christian.net" having heartfelt discussions with people to discover why they left their faith, or reading books about homosexuality, evolution, or Paganism[books that are written BY homosexuals, Scientists, or Pagans FOR other homosexuals, scientists, or Pagans, that is. These books or types of websites/forums are best for this sort of insightful wisdom. If I wanted to learn about Judaism, I would get a copy of the Torah and seek out some Jewish Rabbis to explain things to me, I wouldn't go to a neo-Nazi website or read the medieval rants of Martin Luther, if you see what I mean.]. It's almost as if they think they may become "infected". You have debated with a few people like that HERE. How long do they hang around? Not very long, huh.

I fear I cannot quite recall at this time who it was, but one of the posters here once asked within another thread started by character Deavonreye involving the subject of being attacked within Christian Chat forums, why someone who's not a Christian would wish to frequent a Christian chat forum. I can answer that from my own perspective, if an answer is still wished.
I hope that everyone have a good day and weekend[smile].

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 pm

All Saints Day.

Never heard of it? Not surprised. Centuries ago, Christians tried to stamp out Halloween by making the day after it "All Saints Day" and coopting the celebration for themselves.

Same shite, different century. Epic failure to follow. Ignore the thrashing of the dinosaur in the tar pit; its going gently into that good night, while the rest of the world pagan's up for Samhain night, the eve of "All Hallows Day, or All Saints Day".

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Good evening[smile].
I did hear if All Saints Day, but only due to my own studies[smile]. I am sure that most 'average Joe's' on the street would be hard pressed to explain the holiday if asked about it, though[smile].
One of the things I like about this Forum is that it does not seem to be populated with 'average Joe' types.

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 am

That "average Catholic joe" would know what it is.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Good afternoon[smile].
Do you think that the "average Catholic Joe" would also know about the "Barnacle Goose"[smile]?

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:37 pm

The Catholics also admit that Halloween at least has Christian roots. Much better than many of the Evangelical churches around these parts.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 am

No, Hick, we don't know anything about an goose.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, and a very Happy Halloween to you all[smile].
The "Barnacle Goose" is a small species of goose with black and white plumage that lives along the coast of Ireland/far Western Europe. In the Early Middle Ages, because nobody had ever seen them nesting or breeding, people believed that these birds started their life as barnacles upon driftwood[most people were ridiculously ignorant about biology/zoology back then], and because back then they thought that barnacles were plants instead of animals, naturally this meant that this species of geese were plants too. Irish Bishops and other Catholic spiritual leaders would then feel justified to eat them on Fast Days, like Lent. And this went on for "awhile"...until Pope Innocent III got fed up with the sweet hypocrisy of it all and told everyone to knock it off in 1215.
There was also a similar incident involving a creature that they called the "Vegetable Lamb"[grin,wink,wink].

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Don't really care. Every religion has its dark side. I choose not to focus on the dark side of any of them. But you go right ahead if that's what you need to do to make it through.

Well, except for Muslim and Mormons. Those are two that just don't inspire respect when I think of them.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Good evening[smile].
Did I say something that offended you in some way, dear lady?
"Dark side"? I simply thought it was amusing.
And although I don't condone the act of solely focusing upon what may be seen as negative aspects of any theological belief system, I do however think that's important for followers of any faith to know as much as they can about their faith, even if the knowledge doesn't appear very helpful. If I were a Wiccan, it might not be very helpful on a personal level for me to know that Gerald Gardener was a "dirty old man"[well, he was. Smile ], but I'd still be interested in knowing about it[grins].

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

A Wiccan! I didn't know. I am one too. And I agree with you. Wiccans have a lot of things that were silly or yes, that about Gardener, you are right. Every religion has and remembers, if they are lucky, historical foolishness. People are human.

I like the idea of the barnacle goose. I can imagine that some people missed their meat enough to come up with something like that.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:16 am

Good morning[smile].
I am not a Wiccan, dear woman, only.....eh..."Wiccan-like".
I was a Wiccan once, of the Scott Cunningham, Raymond Buckland variety, but over the years I've evolved into something a little different. If I am still a Wiccan, then I may have become a denomination unto myself[smile].

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:22 am

I am in the same boat. I was trained in a tradition - UEW - but my personal practices have evolved into what works for me and I really don't like a lot of falderal.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:16 am

I don't understand.
Why would it matter to a Wiccan what that Gerald Gardener guy was or was not?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top