Horror of Horrors

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Horror of Horrors

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

So, everyone here knows I work for a newspaper, right? So one of my jobs at the paper is to run the local high school rags to film so that the pressmen can plate and run it on the press.
So today I was working on one of the high school papers and saw something that made me want to drive down to the high school, grab the kid who wrote the story in question, and shake him.
There is a new Shrek movie coming out about Puss in Boots. The boy writing about this chose to describe Puss as "The cat who thinks he's Robin Hood.

No. Just, no.

There is, in fact, a fairy tale called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puss_in_BootsPuss in Boots by Charles Perrault. It's not even that obscure. The boy just didn't do the work. I am particularly ashamed that his teacher didn't catch this.

Tmarie, your daughter is graduating high school. What are they teaching these kids. I know your girl isn't that dumb. Why am I seeing the dumb ones in the journalism classes? I would have gotten reamed up one side and down the other when I was in high school if I had pulled that crap. His column title actually says "Entertainment Genius."
Which I think is the part that makes me mad about the whole thing. Tiny bit of research. Tiny bit. That's all it takes.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Horror of Horrors

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

No idea. She's not interested in journalism at all.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/09/puss-in-boots-the-most-in_n_955027.html

Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:46 pm

But I am sure if she had to write about Puss in Boots, she'd do the frelling work!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:53 pm

I agree with you, but unfortunately, I see mistakes like that all the time. Medical shows that the person who is supposed to be studying the case is studying films that, for someone that is knowledgeable about them anyway, are obviously completely unrelated to the case at hand. Any crime show where they tell you that the striations in the rifling will pinpoint a specific gun (they change over use, and while the rifling pattern will show you a specific make and model, it's not going to narrow it down to specific guns) and my favorite, and a specific example, that episode of Castle where they mentioned that the hole made by a bullet couldn't have been a 9mm it must have been something much bigger, like a .357.

Laziness pervades our culture.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 pm

She is very meticulous.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I agree with you, but unfortunately, I see mistakes like that all the time. Medical shows that the person who is supposed to be studying the case is studying films that, for someone that is knowledgeable about them anyway, are obviously completely unrelated to the case at hand. Any crime show where they tell you that the striations in the rifling will pinpoint a specific gun (they change over use, and while the rifling pattern will show you a specific make and model, it's not going to narrow it down to specific guns) and my favorite, and a specific example, that episode of Castle where they mentioned that the hole made by a bullet couldn't have been a 9mm it must have been something much bigger, like a .357.

Laziness pervades our culture.

all

Hee! I was reading a mystery once, where the author thanked several police officers and whatnot for their help, adding that any mistakes were hers and hers alone, and should not reflect on the officers at all. Her final sentence in the dedication was, "But dammit, I got the gun right!" Laughing

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 am

I've noticed a general "Don't give a damn" attitude. Many books now have mistakes all the way through. Proofreaders suck. And words have changed because the stupid can't grasp the proper words....I.E. Nucleus, plural SHOULD be nuclei, but it's now acceptable to say nucleuses. Drives me nuts!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:29 pm

There are some sources that I will forgive, and other sources annoy me enough that their lapses are the end of it for me.

I forgive Castle, because I like the story line, but The Glades has gotten bad enough that I can't anymore, and their excessive advertising for Kia doesn't help.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 pm

...nucleuses.

FML.

Anywho, I don't watch shows for, like, super-accuracy on the science; I watch because it's a good story, and much of the science is tinkered with in order to fit the format of the show. Though, yelling at the television is becoming a common occurrence when the news is on. I do expect news anchors, especially on (inter)national networks, to be able to report on things accurately... well... except Faux, for obvious reasons.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:55 pm

I don't expect super accuracy, just some accuracy. If you build an entire plot point around one fact, and it turns out to be completely and demonstrably wrong, go back to the drawing board. I don't expect them to tell you how to make explosives or anything, just, try.

The news drives me nuts. No matter what network it is on.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:13 pm

That's an argument my husband and I get into. After work, he wants to watch the news. I live news at work, so it's the last thing I want to see. Escapism television is the way I want to go.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I honestly get most of my news as whatever people are talking about on the boards, and I tend to hear about things before they hit the mainstream medias.

And since you can discuss them, you get less of the loaded language.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top