Fangirls should never watch comic movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fangirls should never watch comic movies

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:38 am

The husband and I went to see the X-Men: First Class movie at the drive-in tonight. Now, I started reading X-men comics when I was 8 years old, so I guess it's no surprise I found the movie a bit disappointing. But of all the problems I had with this movie, and there were plenty, two stuck out:

1. Emma Frost. What the hell did they do to her powers, and why the hell did they have to turn her into World Domination Barbie? Honestly, my socks have more personality than that bimbo did in this movie. She has, until now, always been a favorite of mine. I am disappoint.

2. Why the hell did Moira McTaggart have an American accent, Xavier have a British accent, and Magneto's accent float all over the place, seeming to come from everywhere BUT Eastern Europe? Did the director do no research at all?

Okay, rant over. Still haven't seen Thor, or Captain America. And now I am dreading the Avengers movie, if this crap is the best they can do. Why did they have to turn world-renowned geneticist Moira McTaggart into a CIA agent? I am quite certain Marvel has characters for that sort of thing.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Fangirls should never watch comic movies

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 am

I know. Its enough to make you cringe. The people who write the comics are often also people with a long list of screenplay credits in TV and cinema, so why do they always bring in outsiders who feel compelled to add "new vision" to turn something that devoted ubergeeks like us can quote chapter and verse into something that is just close enough to the original to make it clear what they are destroying.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:The husband and I went to see the X-Men: First Class movie at the drive-in tonight. Now, I started reading X-men comics when I was 8 years old, so I guess it's no surprise I found the movie a bit disappointing. But of all the problems I had with this movie, and there were plenty, two stuck out:

1. Emma Frost. What the hell did they do to her powers, and why the hell did they have to turn her into World Domination Barbie? Honestly, my socks have more personality than that bimbo did in this movie. She has, until now, always been a favorite of mine. I am disappoint.

Well, if you are referring to her ability to turn into "living diamond", this became part of the cannon during Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men, essentially a second mutation on top of her telepathic abilities. Her character did lack her trademark killer wit and the attitude to match it, so with that I agree. I find it odd that you'd geek rage out over this, but say noting of the fact that the cast is hardly representative of the actual "first class", as all but one of the original members (excluding Professor X) is missing: no Iceman, Angel, Cyclops or Marvel Girl. I found the film, as a film very good; as an adaptation of X-men cannon, not so much.

[quote=]2. Why the hell did Moira McTaggart have an American accent, Xavier have a British accent, and Magneto's accent float all over the place, seeming to come from everywhere BUT Eastern Europe? Did the director do no research at all?[/quote]

Can't argue with that, except that with Xavier they were going for "young Patrick Stewart".

[quote=]Okay, rant over. Still haven't seen Thor, or Captain America. And now I am dreading the Avengers movie, if this crap is the best they can do. Why did they have to turn world-renowned geneticist Moira McTaggart into a CIA agent? I am quite certain Marvel has characters for that sort of thing.[/quote]

Both those films were good as films, and I would say that Captain America was a decent enough adaptation of his origin story (if based more in the Earth 1610, that 616). Thor was interesting, and at least the moral complexity of the primary antagonist was deeper than a lot of the same comic book fare. I am more pleased than not with the recent Marvel fare, especially the films leading up to the Avengers movie; doubly so when you look at the state of affairs with DC's stuff (Nolan's Batman being the glaring exception), I have some hope for the Superman relaunch, but time will tell.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top