Please discuss Harold Camping's new prediction for today.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please discuss Harold Camping's new prediction for today.

Post by DeavonReye on Sat May 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Today is supposed to be. . . . the rapture, according to Harold Camping. May 21st, 2011.

What is SO fascinating to me is, christianity teaches that the bible is "god's inerrant and literal words". So, how is it that a man [Harold Camping] can predict a date for 'the rapture' AND have people actually take him seriously, . . . . . when doing so could ONLY mean that their god is a liar? If this deity [in the christian holy book] claims that "no man knows the day or hour", then for someone to state a date is, by their own admission, calling their god a liar.

What do you think about all this?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Re: Please discuss Harold Camping's new prediction for today.

Post by Davelaw on Sat May 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Camping explains that away-saying they couldn't know then -but they can know in the last days

problem with Camping is he was wrong in '88 , '94 and he will be wrong at 6:00 pm
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Why take anything this so called Minister says about today. His record as a prophet & prognasticator is one of failed predictions/end of the world/ second coming of Jesus is a record of failures. Why anyone much less Cihristians would eben take him seriously considering his past is beyond me. Oh well. As P.T. Barnum said. There's a sucker born every minute. The majority of manline Christians reject this person & what he says/claims. In a way I feel sorry for those people who've bought into this prediction & have emptyed their bank accounts, took their retirement fund out of their retairerment, sold or gave up on their , et cetera. Come tommorow they' have lost everything & be homeless, unemployed & so forth.

And yes. He is calling their God a liar. Blow Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat May 21, 2011 10:27 pm

I cannot understand how one minister, who screwed up his end of times predictions before, can cause such an uproar. It's crazy!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun May 22, 2011 8:15 am

Alas, . . . May 22nd has arived and no one vanished.

True, what you all said. It is sad that it became "news worthy" to begin with. What it does is possibly make some view Christianity as being more ridiculous, . . . such as those who look at Westboro Baptist Church as an example of Christianity. It is interesting how the lunatic fringe seems to be what makes the news, these days. The appropriate response should have been to ignore Camping and those who believed him.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun May 22, 2011 8:36 am

the problem with Camping is that he had targeted marketing-conservative believers who did not attend church
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun May 22, 2011 11:11 am

Part of me feels sorry for the dopes he's duped, even if I mostly think they deserve it for following the cult leader mentality.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 am

I think the reason it was grabbed with such delight is that it is a natural joke making machine plus I think that everyone has been in need of hilarity lately. It was something that everyone could share - old, young, difference races and religions - we all thought it was funny. The ones who took it seriously weren't visiting the library, I suppose. Smile

I was a little irked when I read about how much money they took in but he is no different that any successful entertainer. They know what the public wants and how to work them.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun May 22, 2011 1:01 pm

So the Mayans and the Christians have predicted the end of the world this year and been wrong. Anyone else scheduled the end of the world?

As of Yule and Mayday, the gods of the North are relatively happy (recently really amused) so no worries on the Ragnarok front for the forseeable centuries. How about everyone else? We good, or are Shiva and Kali going to do us in by years end? Hate to miss the end of the world because I was on the wrong mailing list.

It would be ironic as all get out if the Pythagorians had it all in a secret prophesy, but wouldn't tell anyone who wasn't paid up on this years dues.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun May 22, 2011 4:38 pm

The Mayans predicted the end on Dec 21st, 2012. Well, the end of that calendar cycle. By the way, . . . when does "the age of Aquarius" start?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Don't worry. The world isn't going to end soon. How do I know. Very simply. My credit cards don't expire until 2014. Everyone knows that the credit card companies are going to get their money. So the world ain't about to end anytime soon. My D.L. expires in 2016. And once again everyone knows that the state is gonna get their money no matter what.

Deavon. We're halfway through the Age of Aquarius. I guess you're too young to remember the song by Grace Slick & the Jefferson Airplane about how we're in the dawning of the age of Aquarius. This was back in the caveman days of the 60's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun May 22, 2011 9:41 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Alas, . . . May 22nd has arived and no one vanished.

Not true, Deavon.....Camping has apparently vanished!!!! lol!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun May 22, 2011 11:03 pm

warlord, I DO remember the song, actually. Didn't know we were in it though.

Beribee, I heardt that about Camping. Probably in hiding, due to embarrassment.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun May 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Just a sad old man who got tired of a world he didn't understand anymore and just prayed it would end. Mistaking his own needs for divine truth isn't uncommon, he just had uncommon resources to broadcast his mistake.

I pity him, but mocking him at this point is beneath all of us. I wish him well; I wish him help, actually.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon May 23, 2011 8:11 am

There's a lot of wishful thinking going on in politics today too, the belief that if you say something enough times, it will be true.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 am

gillyflower wrote:There's a lot of wishful thinking going on in politics today too, the belief that if you say something enough times, it will be true.

But, we have always been at war with East Asia
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Well, I guess Camping is back, and admitting he calculated wrong. Now the new date is October 21st. Unbelievable.

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue May 24, 2011 4:43 pm

You'd have thought he'd aim for Halloween.... LOL

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Beribee wrote:Well, I guess Camping is back, and admitting he calculated wrong. Now the new date is October 21st. Unbelievable.

Don't mean sound picky, Beribee, but he hasn't changed his stance; he believed the 'rapture'/judgment did happen - only spiritually, with no physical effects - and the October 21 date is going to be the physical destruction of the earth which is what he said before. I suspect if he's still alive by Oct 21 it will become like his 1994 and 5/11 predictions - a 'spiritual' destruction, not one that turned out to be physical.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I just hope the media ignores him on October 21st....I really don't want to hear about it anymore!

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am

Should live in Nebraska then. He was just a blurb in the corner of the newspaper here.....
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:39 am

North Carolina had the largest atheist party in history. LOL

'Course, that was down on the coast.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:16 pm

October 21 will either be fun, or extremely annoying, depending on whether he offers another excuse, or admits he was wrong. On the other hand, he might not even live that long.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/harold-campings-stroke-punishment-from-god-a-biblical-response-51162/

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Yes, sacrificialgoddess. It will definitely be another fun day . . . . and even moreso, the day after when [of course] absolutely nothing will happen. ;-)
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:54 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Yes, sacrificialgoddess. It will definitely be another fun day . . . . and even moreso, the day after when [of course] absolutely nothing will happen. ;-)

Of course you all know that this is just a prelude to the non-event that's suppose to happen on 12-21-2012. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top