Why....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why....

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed May 18, 2011 11:25 am

Do some people at the gym think because you ask them how much more time they have to spend on a particular piece of equipment it is an invitation to strike up a conversation with you detailing their entire life story and political views?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Re: Why....

Post by gillyflower on Wed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm

It's the same reason that, when you ask if you can help someone with their genealogy, they tell you their life story and religious views. Some people just need to talk to someone. It is really fortunate that we finally have a room (mine) where the staff has the time (mostly) to listen to them. I always felt badly in the old library that we did not have either a place or staff that had the time to be the person that listens.

Sorry that you got stuck, though. Smile At least we get paid for it.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed May 18, 2011 12:47 pm

I can kinda see that. I'm a bit of a loner though. I don't understand it. I can listen, when I'm at the office. Outside of the office, I communicate with grunts.

Do you get a lot of people working on genealogy?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed May 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Yes actually we do. We also get a lot of people doing it I expect because it is a really nice place to come where it is comfortable and safe and there are people who will talk to them about it and help them. I am currently annoyed because I had a sign up sheet with room in the class for 18 and while i was away they signed up over 40 people. I don't have that many chairs.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed May 18, 2011 4:28 pm

BYO-Chair?

I find that interesting. It's not that I am uninterested in my ancestors, quite the contrary I just don't really understand. Maybe if I wasn't always pre-occupied with something.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Sometimes I think it'd be interesting to look up my ancestors. My maternal grandmother was born in Portugal, maternal grandfather was born in Puerto Rico, he was also Spanish (his dad was Castille, Spain).
My dad's family owned slaves... but, I'm just not interested enough to do it. LOL

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 pm

The thing is most people know about their parents and grandparents but when they die knowledge about a generation dies because the next generation knows about their parents and grandparents - a generation is lost. People think that their children are listening to stories about people they don't know and could care less about but they aren't really listening and don't recall much later when they are grown. Besides that everyone hears something different.

The best thing to do for future generations is, even if you aren't interested in your ancestors, write down the names of your grandparents, your grandmothers' maiden names, where they were from and interesting things about them. That way if someone in the future is interested, they will have an easier time finding information. Ask the older generations to do that too.

And if you are ever interested in finding out about your family, think carefully if you want to discover secrets about members in the family. You will. Every family has secrets. You will also find that some family stories happened, some happened but differently than passed down, and some are complete fabrications. If that bothers you, don't start researching your family.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 pm

I've traced one branch of my family tree back 16 generations....all the way back to 1624, and another back to 1635. It's really cool stuff!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 pm

My problem is all my grandparents died YEARS before I was born.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Some of my lines trace back to about 900, others to around 1100. We did a lot of moving, a lot of raiding, a fair amount of smuggling, and backed a whole lot of people who thought they would look good on a bewildering number of thrones (batting average just below par). Did really well when at war, and really poorly when in peace (got screwed by just about every sovereign who was secure in his seat). Like border folk everywhere, we seemed to smuggle with the bland innocence of a feather covered weasle, and the restraint of a wolverine on speed. We were encouraged to colonize the farthest frontiers, and marched to war from the Highlands and Northumbria to every place filled with hairy hardcases that needed a good looting followed by enforced civilization.

There was no such thing as premarital sex, or teen pregnancy, but boy there were lots of twins born weeks or months apart!

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 pm

tmarie64 wrote:Sometimes I think it'd be interesting to look up my ancestors. My maternal grandmother was born in Portugal, maternal grandfather was born in Puerto Rico, he was also Spanish (his dad was Castille, Spain).
My dad's family owned slaves... but, I'm just not interested enough to do it. LOL

Small World Tina. My Mothers side of the Family came here from Puerto Rico. My Great Grandmother was born there sometime around 1860 & was over a Hundred when she died after moving back to Puerto Tico sometime in the late fifties. According to Papa ( My Grandfather ) the Cardona's imigrated from Castille, Spain.

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Very cool, WOK!! My grandfather came over about 1900 from PR with his family.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 pm

tmarie64 wrote:Very cool, WOK!! My grandfather came over about 1900 from PR with his family.

Very interesting Tina. Did your Grandfather by any chance immigrate to N.Y. City. Specificly to Spanish Harlem? And did he have two daughters? One by the name of Beverly & the other named Carmen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum