A Study of Morality

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Study of Morality

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:50 am

I think they were anti all the rules that were related to cleanliness, ritually speaking, who a Jew could eat with, and the temple rules. I'm not sure if one would consider that political or social or religious reforming. Maybe all of them.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Davelaw wrote:I don't think Jesus was screaming but I think He was telling stories in a loud voice. I do think that Jesus and John the Baptist and those first generations that followed them were all anti-ritual and anti-clergy

I totally agree, Dave. Of course, he would have had to use a "loud voice" to be heard.....no microphones yet! Smile Though I will say that I don't like screaming ministers either. I don't need to be yelled at to get the message.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:19 pm

newnature wrote:It is cool how Yahweh hid the simpleness of his heart in his word. That bible is long, but it covers billions of years worth of history and Yahweh is known through history?

He is?. Not according to the Bible. Nor to other people & cultures througout the history of Mankind.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:51 am

Hmmmm. . . .Yahweh is hardly known through the history of man. Perhaps since the time frame from ~1,000 bce. But really, that wasn't really about any deity known as "Yahweh". It was only words in a book from men talking about a deity they believed to exist. It was still their own words. . . . . in effect, putting their own words in the mouth of their god and calling it "divine inspiration". It continues to this day.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:33 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Hmmmm. . . .Yahweh is hardly known through the history of man. Perhaps since the time frame from ~1,000 bce. But really, that wasn't really about any deity known as "Yahweh". It was only words in a book from men talking about a deity they believed to exist. It was still their own words. . . . . in effect, putting their own words in the mouth of their god and calling it "divine inspiration". It continues to this day.

So true Deavon my friend. And if people would look honestly at their religion they would conclude that much evil was done to others in the name of whatever God they choose to worship. And it's been this way since the biggining of time. But they have that lame old excuse that doesn't wash. "BUT THOSE WEREN'T REAL (insert whatever religion you want here.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top