Not mine the lives he'll doom
Mine the watch to keep him bound
Mine the bloody bill.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Re: Tyr's Watch

Post by Davelaw on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 am

John, linguists tell us that Tyr is linguistically derived from Dyues, Deius ect... and therefore was once the chief god-is there a story that chronicles his displacement?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 am

Indeed there are three runes of kingship, Tiwaz for Tyr, Ingwaz for Frey, and Ansuz for Odin. The reason for the three runes of kingship and the three roles of the king has to do both with the evolution of the people, and the role of the gods.
In the beginning, our folk were nomads on the steppes of Asia (before the days of horse nomads, horses were little more than children's ponies at that point). Tyr, lord of sky and honour was chief among the Aesir, Odin the lord of magic and divination, his gifts of skaldship and runic knowledge were prized but not as much as honour to the nomadic herdsmen of the day. Uller as lord of the bow and hunt was also very prominent, moreso than Thor whose role as rain and storm lord was of less utility to nomads than it would be in later, settled years.
War among tribal nomads (pre-horse), was a limited, stylized thing. Handed down to us in the lore, the traditions of holmgang or duel, and the Homeric hymns, combat in the age of Tyr was a battle of champions. No missile weapons save the spear, it was the battle of elite champions fighting for glory, with the gods judging whose folk would hold the rights to the range, and with booty measured on the hoof. In those days the victor would not loot an enemies body, breaking and bogging the weapons as offerings to the gods for victory. Likewise there was no emnity with the defeated folk, with a period of trade and often marriage exchange following the judgement of combat, before the displaced people would move to new range. Limited war for limited means, little role for the Feeder of Ravens and his strategies. Honour was all, and Tyr was chief.
That all changed with the Vanir war. Arrival in Europe brought the Aesir following folk into conflict with the settled followers of the Vanir. As above, so below. War between the Aesir and Vanir, between the warlike nomads and the settled farmers was bitter and total. Settled folk fight for their mothers hearths and their fathers gravestones. No longer the battle of champions, this was total war. Settlement brought mining and higher levels of armour and weapon production, it was no longer possible to leave the weapons of your foes as offerings, the survival of your folk required looting of precious weapons and armour to increase the power of your folk.
In this time, Odin rose to prominence. The Battleglad, the Feeder of Ravens, his was the teachings of total war, of strategy, logistics, the shield wall and archer/javelin skirmishers, and the shieldwall breaking berserkyr.
With the conquest and subsumption of the Vanir, Frey and Freya were added to the Aesir. Now agriculture and craft, settled life were part of the folkway, as were the problems of total war.
Honour was no longer enough, now law replaced tribal taboo as the keeper of peace. The spectre of total war, the war wolf, the endless hunger for blood that threatens the honour and sanity of the folk (symbolized by Fenris) required a limit. At this time, with the rise of Odin came the spectre of Fenris. Tyr and his sacrifice transformed himself from the king of honourable Homeric combat, to the lord of law. In giving up his sword arm and war power as sacrifice to limit Fenris, Tyr became the embodiment of law, of justice at any price. Honour became law. Law in our faith is thus not a thing of trickery and cleverness, but a thing of service to the folk, of honour and justice without thought of cost.
The three runes of kingship: Tiwaz for Tyr, symbolizing just action, the fountain head of duty and law. Ingwaz for Frey, the peace and plenty of the steward, the wealth born of hard work and planning. Ansuz, the inspiration of Odin, the transforming passion, growth through knowledge, the rune of the initiate, one who seeks to become what they must be to meet the challenges of the future.
Sorry if it ran a little long, but we are squeezing thousand of years of development and the unification of two of the three divine races into a single reply alien

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:44 am

thanks and beautifully done
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down