How to Steal Like an Artist....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to Steal Like an Artist....

Post by gillyflower on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:17 am

Since there are so many artistic types here I thought you might enjoy this piece. It is the best thing I've read in a long time about creativity:

How to Steal Like an Artist (And 9 Other Things Nobody Told Me)

http://www.austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: How to Steal Like an Artist....

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:33 am

I really like this! Stealing for Facebook.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by meryem on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:02 am

Quite amazingly funny and interestingly filled with tips to cool life. Thanks!
meryem

http://www.meryem.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 am

I really like that too. Very sensible and I'm glad that you reminded me of it. I have a break finally coming up from work and I just want to enjoy it, plus do some writing and creating. I'll read it again for inspiration.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by meryem on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:58 pm

BTW what do you like writing I mean do you maintain blog or website other than this or some book writing sort of thing. And not to forget your mention of creating. I am pretty much interested in knowing your creative skills only and only if you will like to share with us here. Happy Funday! Guitar
meryem

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks! I write fantasy, mostly, and not very seriously. I belong to a writing group and really enjoy it. I suppose it means I like a certain type of person who is willing to talk about fanciful subjects. Getting together with them, talking about writing problems and laughing a lot is something I really like to do. We tend not to get much work done. It does motivate me to create.

As for creating, I enjoy - maybe I should say I'm a nut about - color and fountain pens. I enjoy a bit of calligraphy. I say a bit because really I'm no artist and all I care about is italic, and only enough of that to make my handwriting legible. Lately I've been filling up cartridge style highlighter pens (with the italic wedge point) with different colors of ink and creating mind maps with them. I love Moleskine notebooks but truth to tell, the paper isn't very fountain pen friendly so I've got coming in the mail some Claire Fountaine notebooks that are supposed to be better. Rhodia paper is also good. So far I haven't found anything that replaces the Moleskine but I keep trying.

I do journal a bit, write things I see, can include in stories, ideas, and anything else that interests me but then I get sidetracked by the look of the page, colors on it, mind maps. I wish I could add sketches but I turn into such a harsh critic of my work that it is no fun.

The problem with all of it is that it is hard to do when I am tired. It takes some concentration. But I've got a few days and no commitments so I'll have the time, I hope.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by meryem on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:15 am

Why don't you share your work by putting it online as blog or something like that? It will be great thing to do but it will be OK if you like it otherwise. BTW if you already have one please do share with us here.

I am like feeling inspired a bit by your mind map term. I will like trying my hands on it in the future. Angel

I like Harry Potter kind of fantasy stuff that was written by J.K.Rowling. If you write something like that than it is cool.

Keep Writing!Smile
meryem

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:48 am

Thank you. And I'll use this place right now for a sounding board to think things through. In the thing I'm working on right now the protagonist is getting younger and younger to the point that I'm wondering if it isn't a children's story rather than an adult one. That is something I haven't tried, except for the stories I used to write/tell to my children when they were young. Starring them of course!

It is kind of interesting that one of them reminded me last week about how much she loved that when she was little and that she hoped I'd do it for her son when he got older, too.

I'm only at the story boarding point right now so I could go either way. I'm thinking it would work better as a children's story though. And there is the point that when I think of it as an adult book, I can't think of scenes and when I think of it as a children's story, I can think of plenty.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by meryem on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 am

gillyflower wrote:
And I'll use this place right now for a sounding board to think things through.
For a moment I thought you can have some separate blog etc. here to start writing and have feedback over it. But I forgot it is not possible here. But you can definitely have some separate forum for it in this forum to discuss over it or something like that.
gillyflower wrote:
I'm only at the story boarding point right now so I could go either way. I'm thinking it would work better as a children story though. And there is the point that when I think of it as an adult book, I can't think of scenes and when I think of it as a children story, I can think of plenty.
You should go with children story theory for it appears your internal voice also feels like that. Additionally one more benefit of using children theory will allow you more free hand of adding fancy fantasy thoughts in it.
meryem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top