What to do with old garments?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What to do with old garments?

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 pm

If you try to recycle stuff, what do you do with old garments that no one else would ever want? I'm talking about old t-shirts [those worn under shirts], old underwear, or even just clothes that are not worth giving to the needy?

Rather than just throwing them into the trash, to wind up in the landfill, what would you suggest?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Re: What to do with old garments?

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 pm

For one thing, old t-shirts and underwear make great rags to wash cars and bathrooms, polish up stuff like silver and faucets and good dust rags too.

My mother used to make rag rugs and hooked rugs sometimes out of old clothes, the rest went into the rag bag. I've never done it, I just save the ones I want for rags and toss the rest out. Usually, except for underwear, things I discard still are useful to someone else, or so I like to think.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Old clothes become workout clothes become rags.

I never give them away, I always use them up.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Old clothes, not worthy of giving to Goodwill, get turned into cleaning/work rags. Except for the underpants....just cannot make myself recycle them.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 pm

We can put clothing out with our recycling here! You just have to mark what it is and they take it away!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm

@DeavonReye wrote:If you try to recycle stuff, what do you do with old garments that no one else would ever want? I'm talking about old t-shirts [those worn under shirts], old underwear, or even just clothes that are not worth giving to the needy?

Rather than just throwing them into the trash, to wind up in the landfill, what would you suggest?
there is a Christian homily in that question but I will spare you-there is a rag market in the bigger cities-rags are needed to make newsprint and magazines
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Or you could turn them into a quilt, I suppose, depending on how bad they really are.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lovepsychicreadings on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 pm

I always find some other use for them, you can turn them into a matt, a rug or cleaning rags at home.

lovepsychicreadings

http://www.authenticpsychicreadings.net/category/love-psychic-re

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:47 am

A lot of the "old garments" are white socks that I have been using to clean with. So, okay, let's say that I have used them to clean with. Throw them away without feeling bad?

If one looks at this another way, . . . I suppose that putting old boxer underwear into the landfill isn't the same as . . . glass. . . plastic. . . metal. It will break down eventually.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Wash them, then use them to change oil, or wash your car, or some other really dirty chore, then pitch them.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by marizfaith on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 am

I use them as rags as well and those old rags will be the one to put into trash.
marizfaith

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 am

A new voice! Hello, Mariz. Welcome!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:00 pm

What I do with old garments? Didn't I post on here before? Duh, I don't know, but I have a vague memory of reading this here thread, maybe I was lurking? LOL!
Anyways I give old garments to the charity in another town than ours that works with the mentally unstable. I also pick up a few things that may catch my eye...(they had a really neat old office cubicle organizer, made out of wood for $5).
Also when I retired this past weekend from the Army... Instead of giving it back to my supply & making unknowing Sergeants the keeper of the overflow.(worn next to body it would of been tossed). I became the unit "bag lady" as they laughed, teased & joked, pushing a cart of all of my old/new/uniforms, boots, unit patches, crests...giving to my fellow soldiers. They were the ones that went overseas to Iraq from our National Guard unit! They might of ruined their uniforms (they don't make the $$ to replace them) they might of lost, gained weight (hell I sure in hell did) ...it all went back to the soldiers! I gave material things & received lots of smiles, laughter & hugs! Pretty good exchange if I do say so myself!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Congratulations on your retirement! I'm glad that you gave people in the unit a chance at your old uniforms. Those suckers get expensive.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:12 am

You're such a sweetie, Willow! Congrats on your retirement! Hug2

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

@sacrificialgoddess wrote:Or you could turn them into a quilt, I suppose, depending on how bad they really are.
I love the quilt idea. My neighbour and I are infamous for saving scraps and old cloths for doing just that.
Which is why my house looks like a hoarder lives here. Her place is worse.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top