Ya gotta marvel at such blatant ignorance!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ya gotta marvel at such blatant ignorance!

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Hubby called me on his lunch break and told me that his office decorating committee got all wound up and decided that they'd decorate his half of the office today. There's a contest among the various floors of the building for which committee does the best decorations.

Anyway, there are snowflakes and brightly colored silhouettes of toys hanging from the ceiling grid till you'd think there was a snow and toy blizzard, Drew said.

And then, they decided as accompaniments they'd wrap the side panel of each cubicle at the end of a row and decorate it as if it's a gift.

So, some woman and a guy who's Drew's best bud were going around applying the gift paper to each panel. They got to Drew's cubicle while he was on break.

Drew got this report afterward--

Woman: We're out of the plain colored paper. Do you think Drew would mind some of this with Christmas designs?

Buddy: I don't think he'd like that.

Woman: (with shock tinged with outrage) He wouldn't?? Well, why not?

Buddy: Because Drew is Jewish.

Woman: What difference does that make?

So kind man that he is, he gently explained to her why a Jew would be unlikely to appreciate having his cubicle festooned with Christmas-themed paper. She apparently quite sincerely professed astonishment that some people don't do ANYthing for Christmas, according to the report hubby got later. Never heard of such a thing, I guess.

Hoo boyee! And I thought I'd left such abysmal ignorance behind in Kansas.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Ya gotta marvel at such blatant ignorance!

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:38 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:18 am

wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 am

lol! click your heels 3 times....well, heck. DoNotInOz, this "I'm surprised NO Christmas????" runs amuck in the military. There are a lot of people who think that the only people in uniform are Christian. They forget about Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans, etc and our Eastern brothers' & sisters that celebrate in January!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Dot, I'm glad that at least someone set this woman straight. She might not have have been doing that to be rude, but it's hard to believe that people still don't know about things like this in this day and age.

LOL Hilarious Despair.com pictures!
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:Dot, I'm glad that at least someone set this woman straight. She might not have have been doing that to be rude, but it's hard to believe that people still don't know about things like this in this day and age.

Oh, I don't think she was being at all nasty about it. Both hubby and I suspect she honestly had nowhere close to Clue #1 that Jews don't celebrate Christmas.

In the central U.S., there are still quite a lot of Christian churches that either do not encourage or actively discourage their members from learning anything about other religious beliefs.

I was really not terribly surprised by this although thought it odd as large and prominent as the Jewish community is here in St. Louis.

Years ago in a very small southwest Kansas town where I taught, we had a Conservative Jewish teacher on the faculty for a couple of years. Each Christmas, the faculty had a gift exchange and breakfast on one of the last days before winter break. Every year, the menu was scrambled eggs with bacon or sausage and other breakfast foods.

The first year he was on the faculty, Jon brought his omelet pan and made himself an omelet. Of course, people asked him why he did that, couldn't he eat the scrambled eggs? He explained that he kept strict kosher as much as possible and did not want to eat eggs cooked in a non-kosher pan especially when pork had been cooked at the same time on that stove. People were generally baffled as to why doing so would be a problem. Couldn't he just "when in Rome"? About all they knew about what constituted keeping kosher was that Jews didn't eat pork. They didn't know that he would be concerned about some grease spatter from the bacon or sausage having gotten into the scrambled eggs. They had no idea whatsoever how complicated kosher law is and unfortunately asked some really ignorant and somewhat intrusive questions.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top