Immortal Comedians

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Immortal Comedians

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Who are your classics, whether or not they're famed as great comedians?

Mine are obvious, but I'll trot them out nonetheless.

Bill Cosby for doing takes on childhood that could so easily have been merely cute but instead said something deep and real about how kids view the world and those peculiar animals known as parents.

I swear I still laugh uproariously at his Noah series despite having heard it numerous times. Noah's ranting away about what a nutjob the neighbors think he is for building an ark in his driveway and berating God for demanding the ark without making it rain, and then, there's that sudden quaver in his voice when he realizes it's starting to rain followed by immediate assurances that he always knew God would follow through.

George Carlin on words and how bizarrely and dishonestly we use them. How I miss what that man could do with a list of euphemisms.

Richard Pryor. Did anyone before him but maybe Lenny Bruce so effectively use, "Screw the bounds of good taste! I got something to say, and I'm gonna get their attention the best effin' way I know how"? Pryor's bit about not being dead yet after nearly incinerating himself freebasing was an instant classic.

Sam Kinison. There was a contradiction--a guy who went from being a dynamic fundamentalist preacher to XXX-rated comedy. No outrage was too far out for Sam to translate into his act. Like the news story someone told him about a bunch of gay necrophiliacs who'd been reported for having solicited various funeral homes to allow them a few hours alone with the facility's freshest male corpse...A few people might have considered somehow doing something about that, but only Kinison had the balls to get facedown on the stage, mic lying near his mouth and DO the bit as if the dead dude is reacting to what's happening, pantomime included.

Those are my immortals...how 'bout adding yours?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Immortal Comedians

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Mel Brooks! Classic corny comedy... writers of films like "Scary Movie" etc. tried to imitate it but failed. First to push the boundaries of religion and comedy, and *one of* the first to push the boundaries of race and comedy. Pryor wrote with him on Blazing Saddles, but you knew that already from hubby I bet. Smart comedy... didn't use gore or over-the-top obscenity for comedy shock value. Probably my favorite.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:20 pm

But I don't think you'll ever fully get Mel Brooks's stuff unless you're Jewish and understand Yiddish. Sure, he's a genius, I certainly agree.

However, he tosses out insider jokes and the occasional gibe in Yiddish which leaves me going "Huh?" until hubby recovers enough from laughing his ass off to translate.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 am

I second Saint George of Carlin, he's my inspiration, man. And Bill Hicks.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 am

Silly me! How could I possibly have neglected to mention Kinison's devilishly inspired bit on starving Africans, "Move where the food is. YOU LIVE IN A DESERT. NOTHING grows there!"?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 am

Ah, you young'uns! Because of my dad, I grew up listening to Jack Benny, George and Gracie Burns, W. C. Fields (and I love his quotes!), Bob Hope and Abbott and Costello. I mean, hasn't everyone heard Who's on First?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 am

gillyflower wrote:Ah, you young'uns!

Wow! I'm thrilled to be included in that category, Gilly, being far closer to your age than to those of TED or Kitty. < sassy grin >

Because of my dad, I grew up listening to Jack Benny, George and Gracie Burns, W. C. Fields (and I love his quotes!), Bob Hope and Abbott and Costello. I mean, hasn't everyone heard Who's on First?

Yep, so did I.

So glad you mentioned these definite immortals.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 am

Mel Brooks, Monty Python (all of them), and the whole original cast of SCTV:

John Candy
Robin Duke
Joe Flaherty
Eugene Levy
Andrea Martin
Rick Moranis
Catherine O'Hara
Harold Ramis
Tony Rosato
Martin Short
Dave Thomas

SCTV totally beats Saturday Night Live and its alumni have gone on to give Canada and the world some really good laughs.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:27 am

The boytoy's got me hooked on Matt Lucas and David Walliams from Little Britain and Little Britain USA.

From wiki: The show comprises sketches involving exaggerated parodies of British people from all walks of life in various situations familiar to the British. These sketches are presented to the viewer together with narration in a manner which suggests that the programme is a guide — aimed at non-British people — to the ways of life of various classes of British society. Despite the narrator's description of great British institutions, the comedy is derived from the British audience's self-deprecating understanding of either themselves or people known to them.

An American version of the show, with the same two main actors, entitled Little Britain USA was created in 2008. This series is shown on HBO in the USA, and also in Canada on HBO Canada and The Comedy Network. It is shown on the BBC in the UK, and is shown in Australia on Network Ten.

Many of the characters on the show have their own often-repeated catchphrases. Many have become well known in the United Kingdom, and the show has gained a mainstream following.

I think it's the closest thing to good comedy I've seen in a long time. Here are some of my favorite clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWONUpeTEw (Fat Fighters 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neqcXzLi1-I&feature=related (Carol Beer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1OxHhAh_g (Mildred on drugs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INj6HPuKJnk&feature=related (Emily Howard the transvestite at the pool - the best)

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 pm

I just wanted to add five that haven't been mentioned: Carol Burnett, Robin Williams, Bob Newhart, Jonathan Winters, and Alan King.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Joan Rivers.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 pm

A funny woman, TED, but I don't know that I'd rank her up there with others mentioned above. YMMV

Maybe I'm just so put off by how hideous her face appears anymore as a result of the numerous lifts she's had. She's looking positively gruesome, I think.

For instance, I've never thought Rivers could hold a candle to Carol Burnett.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:50 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:A funny woman, TED, but I don't know that I'd rank her up there with others mentioned above. YMMV

Your momma moves vans. Laughing

Maybe I'm just so put off by how hideous her face appears anymore as a result of the numerous lifts she's had. She's looking positively gruesome, I think.

For instance, I've never thought Rivers could hold a candle to Carol Burnett.

No, I don't think she's an icon, but indeed funny.

From my Facebook.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 am

How did we not mention the Pythons, yet?
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:50 pm

WMDKitty wrote:How did we not mention the Pythons, yet?

Hey I mentioned Monty Python (all of them from Cleese to Idle)

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:59 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:A funny woman, TED, but I don't know that I'd rank her up there with others mentioned above. YMMV

Naw. Only thing my momma moves these days is daisies and buffalo grass. How's that for morbid images? Twisted Evil
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:02 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

Naw. Only thing my momma moves these days is daisies and buffalo grass. How's that for morbid images? Twisted Evil

Hysterical

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 pm

I see that good ol' Rodney is still not getting any respect...

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum