Amazon Against GLBT Books

Go down

Amazon Against GLBT Books

Post by gillyflower on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Look what Amazon has just done!

"For those who don’t know, Amazon has decided to derank and then remove from front page searches books labeled “erotic” and GLBT. For example, books that are about Lesbian parenting have been identified as “adult content” and deranked. Patti O’Shea’s book that is listed “erotic horror” despite having only one sex scene has been deranked and removed from front page search results. Amazon has deranked Annie Proulx, E.M. Forster, but not American Psycho. Mein Kampf and books about dog fighting are ranked and can be searched from the front page, but not books about gay love or books with erotic content."

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2009/04/12/amazon-rank/

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Amazon Against GLBT Books

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Unbelievable isn't it? I liked Amazon that really sucks, forgive my language.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:01 pm

MC if "sucks" is language you don't want to see me irritated. Wink

I signed the petition and I also wrote the email listed.

To Whom it May Concern:

I have found out about the new policy from Amazon ranking normal LGBT books as "adult content".

As a frequent Amazon shopper with many wonderful LGBT friends this is
very disturbing. Amazon will feel the pinch of this policy in their
pocketbook, and with the economy in the state it is, this is no time to
lose business.

Until this policy is changed, my money will not be going to Amazon either.

Thank you,

Rev. Joseph M. Allen

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I wrote them too and told them I bought the books for 16 libraries. I cannot support a bookstore that displays such bigotry toward an important community of supporters.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:13 pm

I signed the petition too, I borrowed some of your words Joseph, I hope that is alright. I of course signed my own name Smile

And as far as naughty language goes "suck" and "damn" are about as bad as I get.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:41 pm

I firmly adhere to the ideology that the F-word is a most precious form of communication, one of the most versatile words in the history of man (an adjective, a noun, a pronoun, a verb, an adverb). And used effectively it can make the most clear points a person can attempt to make.

But don't listen to me, I'm just an old hippie. Laughing

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Cool Wink Tiger

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:15 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:MC if "sucks" is language you don't want to see me irritated. Wink

I signed the petition and I also wrote the email listed.

To Whom it May Concern:

I have found out about the new policy from Amazon ranking normal LGBT books as "adult content".

As a frequent Amazon shopper with many wonderful LGBT friends this is
very disturbing. Amazon will feel the pinch of this policy in their
pocketbook, and with the economy in the state it is, this is no time to
lose business.

Until this policy is changed, my money will not be going to Amazon either.

Thank you,

Rev. Joseph M. Allen

Joseph,
If you don't mind, i'd like to use what you've written, with some changes and add my voice to petition regarding Amazon. What i wonder is who is pulling the strings from behind the scenes. Whip
I guess that this is my assumption of the matter because money talks and with the issues
we're currently experiencing financially, I think it's rather stupid for a company to do so.
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 pm

You certainly may; that's part of why I left that here, to give others ideas. I sent that to the corporate email too and left it on the petition. And I'm sure someone is doing this with their pocketbook; that's why it's important to show our pocketbooks matter too.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks TED, for alerting us to this. I signed the petition too and sent it to lots of friends. Perhaps Jeff Bezos has become a fundamentalist Christian. Why else would this matter to anyone, except those with a certain religious 'axe' to grind? In fact, does anyone else in the whole world care about anyone's sexual orientation (and what they might be reading) except for religious fundamentalists (probably only Christian and Muslim)??? It's crazy prejudicial thinking!!!
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 am

Morning Kat! Very Happy Just a minor correction, it was Gilly who alerted us (credit where credit's due!) It is something I would post if I'd found out about it. Very Happy Totally bizarre.

Oh well, we'll get them straightened out (pardon the pun!)

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lolkat on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:24 am

Oops, thanks TED AND GILLY! Gilly, your orange cat does look a lot like TED's tiger. Smiles and (((((Hugs))))))
Lolkat

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:38 am

I'm quite honored to get tiered with Gilly, but I'm not sure how she'd feel about being accused of being TED. Laughing

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:52 pm

A response!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.com.

This is an embarrassing and ham-fisted cataloging error for a company that prides itself on offering complete selection.

It
has been misreported that the issue was limited to Gay & Lesbian
themed titles - in fact, it impacted 57,310 books in a number of broad
categories such as Health, Mind & Body, Reproductive & Sexual
Medicine, and Erotica. This problem impacted books not just in the
United States but globally. It affected not just sales rank but also
had the effect of removing the books from Amazon's main product search.

Many books have now been fixed and we're in the process of
fixing the remainder as quickly as possible, and we intend to implement
new measures to make this kind of accident less likely to occur in the
future.

Thanks for contacting us. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:11 pm

It looks like somebody actually wrote that, that it wasn't an automated response. Smile
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 pm

It was sent out to a lot of people. I got that one too. They are blaming it on a French coder who misunderstood English, so I hear.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Lolkat wrote:Oops, thanks TED AND GILLY! Gilly, your orange cat does look a lot like TED's tiger. Smiles and (((((Hugs))))))

The cat in my avatar is my Grandcat. He belongs to one of my daughters. He is a big old sweetie. Smile

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down