Got the fall funk

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got the fall funk

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Lovely weather, still mid-to-upper 70's daytime, down to lower 40's nights. Yep, fall's definitely announcing its presence.

But, we had next to nothing for fall colors which is one thing I really love this time of year, especially hiking with blazes of color all around. Half the leaves are gone by now, and for an area with trees all over the place, that's just depressing when there was so little show this year. Probably due to a hotter and drier than usual summer. Some of the leaves shriveled and turned brown in mid-August, it was so blasted hot.

Weird, isn't it, how you have these seasonal expectations, and when Mom Nature has other plans, it's depressing?

So, how's your fall thus far? PuhLEEZ, tell me some stories of fall beauty and fun you're having to cheer me the hell up, for god/desses' sakes!

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Got the fall funk

Post by Sakhaiva on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:43 pm

I don't know how much help I'll be.... a few friends and I were commenting how down in the dumps we've all been.... just feel like crawling in a cave and waking up 4 mos from now. (My version of a cave: homemade soups & a warm blanket.) I don't know if it's my age or what... but it just feels like nothings working as it usually does; not the weather, not my body... nothing.

To get the funk out, I took the kids to our local river, where I discovered that my 10 year old is good at skipping rocks. The sounds of a river running, birds tweeting & rocks plunking are quite satisfying.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:00 am

It's been up and down for me; on the one hand it's just blah up here in the NW, on the other I'm doing fairly well -- keeping up with homework is keeping me busy, and Gracie's antics always make me smile. ^^ She's nature's fuzzy anti-depressant!
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Okay Dot.....how's this: We are right in the middle of Peak Folliage right now in southern New England. It is absolutely beautiful! The leaves haven't really fallen off yet, even after a few windy, stormy days. The mums are holding their flowers still, too! I have a purple one and a yellow/orange one. (Still NO haybale though! LOL) The temps have sporatically dropped into the 30s at night with highs in the 50s-60s during the day. I bought some apples and a pie crust to make Grandma's apple pie later on this week. We lit the woodstove one day last week, too. Oh, and I keep having to search for my headstone that's set up behind the head of the skeleton that's coming out of the ground. The wind keeps blowing it away! LOL

How's that??? Very Happy

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 am

MMMmmmmm...

::::: basking in the glow from Beribee's tales of a lovely fall ::::::

Much better. Thanks tons, Beribee! (But I sure wouldn't trade where I am for where you live once winter really sets in. We'll get 3"-6" of snow a few times, and usually a few days later it's all but melted.)
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 am

I love autumn. I never get fall funk. Winter on the other hand...

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 am

DotNotInOz wrote:MMMmmmmm...

Much better. Thanks tons, Beribee! (But I sure wouldn't trade where I am for where you live once winter really sets in. We'll get 3"-6" of snow a few times, and usually a few days later it's all but melted.)

LOL...glad I could help, Dot! We get more snow than that, but it's usually manageable......now Maine, however, is another story! LOL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 am

Snow?

Oh, no. No. I will take six months of rain, if it means I don't have to deal with snow.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 am

I hope the winter here this year is not as bad as it was last year. They had a worse year last year in Richmond than we did in South Point. I'm hoping we don't get a repeat.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 am

Me too! I really didn't mind the winter, down here it just made it extra pleasant a lot longer, but it made the summer unbearable! A weather guy last spring answered a question about since the winter was longer and colder would that mean a mild summer? He said no, it meant an extra hot and long summer and he was right.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 am

Interesting, Gilly. Last winter here was very cold and long. We were amazed that the summer was so terribly hot and dry. Even the air didn't feel all that humid, which is quite unusual for us since we've the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers to add damp.

We got lovely fall chill a couple of weeks ago, but it's been back and forth...a little fall...nope, oopsie, not done with summer yet...here's some more 80's highs and 70's at night for y'all.

Bet the weather guy knew what he was talking about.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am

I just love the cool weather. High of 60 today. Nothing better....
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Beribee wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:MMMmmmmm...

LOL...glad I could help, Dot! We get more snow than that, but it's usually manageable......now Maine, however, is another story! LOL
We had one wonderful storm last year, then winter fizzled out. I have a love, /discomfort relationship with snow. I love it, but if too deep, little dog can not walk in it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:

So, how's your fall thus far? PuhLEEZ, tell me some stories of fall beauty and fun you're having to cheer me the hell up, for god/desses' sakes!

We had a lovely fall, in fact we are still having it sort of. Some trees are still brightly coloured, like the rough bark Maple (which is a lovely red), The Walnut is nearly naked.
I have an abundance of birds outside my front door eating up all the Iris seeds.
And driving my kitty cats nutty. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:09 pm

Are the kitty cats chattering at the birds?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Oh yes they are, it is so funny. poor frustrated kitties. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 pm

@MC -- I just squeeee'd at your icon. That is WAY too cute!
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:19 am

bounce Question? How many of you are still celebrating "Fall"? How many of you are tearing up the "Winter" cheer?

I still have my orange comforter on my bed, with my green jersey sheets underneath! My orange towels hanging over the bathroom rail. Along with my different colored leaves (reds, purples, yellows) laying on my side table! The orange plastic flowered soft hued leaved pumpkin on my desk! Gees I understand the temptation of summer to roll into Fall, or let winter try to wisk all the "umph" out of Fall.....BUT Autumn still rocks on til Dec 21st!

Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:32 pm

I quit playing fall the first night tenting at -17. Only so much snow you can shovel, so much ice you can slide on, before old world traditions that came from a time of movable months get abandoned in an age where fall means windbreaker and winter means parka.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:04 pm

cheers John T? Your such a cute smart arse! LOL! I love ya hon! Keep that stuff way up NORTH of me this yr. When I return home, I have a 17month old Grand Baby I'm wintering with down in Louisiana...& we're going to party!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Actually us Canucks were all gathered together and giggling over the weather reports in South Carolina of snowstorms. Watching your drivers try to cope was really funny.

What is even funnier is that right now its only about freezing and we have almost nothing on the ground. You Southerners are actually gettting hammered harder than us Northmen.

We usually get our first blast in November, a really pleasant December, and then nasty vengeful January/Febuary.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 pm

We've had only a few below freezing days, and no snow. Been weirdly warm.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:33 pm

Crying or Very sad Egads, Batman! Well our lows this week are going to be in 20's, & the highs in the 40's.... YES with 10 -20 knot NWN winds! This transplanted Northerner/Southerner/ back up above interstate I 10 (Northerner) again can't take this kind of cold any more. Crying or Very sad Shiver me timbers matey's!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top