Stop the attack ads!

Go down

Stop the attack ads!

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:54 pm

I swear I'm about to vote for an independent or libertarian--anybody who hasn't the political machine and megabucks to put out numerous short-stab tv attack ads.

You know the type:
Voted 3 times to deny Missourians jobs
Source: Congressional Record

I don't know what pieces of legislation this candidate thinks denied Missourians jobs, so this accusation is pointless. There's no way to tell if the candidate's vote might have been primarily against some porkbarrel provision tacked onto the bill or actually was a vote against a bill that might have affected jobs. I have no clue WHAT he voted no on to start with--or maybe voted yes on a bill that the candidate whose ad this was thinks he ought to have opposed.

Named among TEN WORST Politicians in Washington
Source: Kansas City Star

There's no date or other information to enable me to pin down when this story appeared. I certainly have no idea who determined this status or why. I guess I could google for "Ten worst politicians in Washington" on the paper's website and hope that I'd come up with the story to which this ad refers. If I can even get onto the site without registering and paying to do so.

Supported Obamacare (candidate shown standing next to the President, both smiling widely, at what appears to have been a political rally, their hands clasped and raised for what reason one can't determine. The implication, of course, being that they're such good buddies, she'd support anything he proposes.)

I'm sick of the slinging attacks back and forth. It's ridiculous! Enough, already!

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the attack ads!

Post by Sakhaiva on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:46 pm

The majority of Americans want anger. Seeing non-angry politicians makes many folks even more angry.

That being said, I side with you DOT. I can't stand all the bs.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Statistics show that attack ads generate a better voter response and the one with the most attack ads wins. Winning is numbers, baby.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Yeah, I know, TED.

I also know from years of teaching critical thinking and debate strategy that most people are so undiscerning that they'll vote for whatever politician's ads tell them what they'd rather believe whether it's true or not.

Sadly, that's why Beck and Limbaugh are so very popular. Bluster, volume and appearing authoritative count for more than what is actually said.

Sometimes I shudder at the Founders' idealistic conviction that an educated populace was essential in order to have a workable democracy.

Public education gets maligned right and left for failing to teach students how to analyze and to think critically when the simple fact is that far too many adults don't do either and honestly don't want to.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:00 pm

A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. - Lysander Spooner
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down