Phelps and the Supreme Court Case

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Phelps and the Supreme Court Case

Post by Davelaw on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:30 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Davelaw wrote:from the BBC link:

And the court effectively said to Mr Phelps that he may have done wrong. But the First Amendment precedent generally protects him from the sort of official punishment reflected in a jury's verdict

...that was not the general view even after the First Admendment was ratified. our founders sued each other for slander, tried to get critical speech to be deemed treasonous-with no concept such as politically protected speech or religous speech-or the right to incendiary protest.

There was even a duel or two if I remember right...

Hamilton got what he deseved.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 am

DotNotInOz wrote:I've gotta admit you're certainly consistent in your support of individuals' carrying guns, All. You would think to mention early Americans' tendency to take matters into their own hands and duel it out to settle the issue. Laughing

Why would you think that? I actually think it is a positive to take matters into one's own hands.

Don't we have a admiration for the "self made (wo)man in this culture? Don't we cheer for the underdog, for the person that comes from humble beginnings, the self taught person, the one who succeeds against insurmountable odds?

Why all of a sudden, when it comes to this issue, people turn into shirking violets and say that someone else should handle it?

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:42 am

Davelaw wrote:
Hamilton got what he deseved.

Eventually, we all get what we deserve....
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:25 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:I've gotta admit you're certainly consistent in your support of individuals' carrying guns, All. You would think to mention early Americans' tendency to take matters into their own hands and duel it out to settle the issue. Laughing

Why would you think that? I actually think it is a positive to take matters into one's own hands.

Sometimes, I really hate this medium. In person, you'd have seen me sitting here initially guffawing at how very characteristic it is of you to think of a duel, and then laughing wryly as in, "Damn! but that man upholds his convictions every time! No one else I know would have thought to mention dueling in this context but for a guy who supports individuals settling their own conflicts directly. A duel--perfect!"

Admiring your consistency, all, not criticizing your stance on guncarrying which is why I appended the LOL emoticon. What I meant obviously didn't translate well in this no-body-language arena.

< shrugs apologetically > Oooops!

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:33 pm

The doc's not only a "man's man," he's a man's man's man.

Laughing

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:03 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:The doc's not only a "man's man," he's a man's man's man.

Laughing

That he is.

If Ernest Hemingway were still around, he'd be peagreen with envy and would write a novel with a thinly disguised All as the hero. Wink Smile
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:33 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:

Sometimes, I really hate this medium. In person, you'd have seen me sitting here initially guffawing at how very characteristic it is of you to think of a duel, and then laughing wryly as in, "Damn! but that man upholds his convictions every time! No one else I know would have thought to mention dueling in this context but for a guy who supports individuals settling their own conflicts directly. A duel--perfect!"

Admiring your consistency, all, not criticizing your stance on guncarrying which is why I appended the LOL emoticon. What I meant obviously didn't translate well in this no-body-language arena.

< shrugs apologetically > Oooops!

Limitations of a text based discussion. I wasn't really thinking that you were criticizing my stance, I was just taking that opportunity to break out my soap box about society.

You're right. I am a settle my problems directly kind of guy. If I got a flat tire, I wouldn't call a tow truck, I'd change it myself.

Granted, this is a slightly bigger issue, but, and I'm not defending this at all, but I can see me popping off a couple of shots at them, and calling it "mental anguish" or something.

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:The doc's not only a "man's man," he's a man's man's man.

Laughing

Like Lee Lemon?
Very Happy

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:33 pm

And not ONE judge or court had to get involved...
These people shut wbc down, almost immediately. And no one had to get a judge to do it.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Very Happy

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/