Childhood reads revisited

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Childhood reads revisited

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm currently rereading P. L. Travers' Mary Poppins books. I really enjoyed those long before that awful Disney movie came out (even though I love Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, the Disney version was a travesty!)

The genuine Mary Poppins is so very full of herself with not a great deal to be self-satisfied about.

As a child, I loved the contrasts between her managing the nursery autocratically and then taking the children off for a totally magical adventure. I think my favorite was when they took the gold stars from the gingerbread and pasted them onto the night sky.

Those and the original Oz series, the ones by L. Frank Baum and not by his successors who tried to carry on the series, are probably my all-time favorites among the tons of books I read as a child.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Childhood reads revisited

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Dot... check your messages.

I liked reading "Wizard of Oz".....HATED, and still hate, the movie. "Charlotte's Web", the Black Beauty series,...then there was Stephen King...E.A. Poe...

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 pm

liked the Farley books-Black Stallion etc...
the first of the Box Car Children (before they became the proto-type for Scooby Doo Mysteries)
the Heinlein Juveniles
the Glass Elevator (better than the Chocolate Factory)
Tolkein
CS Lewis
Ellery Queen Mysteries
Doyle
Mary Shelley
Conan
plus everything Kng Arthur and Robin Hood
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 pm

My very favorite book as a small child was "The Best Loved Doll" by Caudill. In fact, I'm going to order a copy for my kids right now.

"Heidi" is a wonderful tribute to living foods and clean mountain living.

"The Giving Tree"... makes me cry to this day, I tell ya.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 am

The "Redwall" series by Brian Jaques, has got to be one of my favourite series.

"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H.", also a huge fan of the film, despite the differences.

"The Hobbit", as I did not read any other Tolkein until I was a bit older.

"Goosebumps", cheesy as they were, the twist endings made them worth while.

"Watership Down" and "Tales from Watership Down" were also fantastic books, and by gar I think I may go read a few tales right now...

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:25 am

Adams_ I didn't read until Highschool but Watership Down and the jjoriginal Dune trilogy should be there as well as the Last Unicorn.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 am

I can't remember any picture books. We read a lot in my family though. I liked the Nancy Drew mysteries, the Boxcar Children, anything about horses, Ivanhoe, Captain Blood, The Three Musketeers, I even liked James Fenimore Cooper and in eighth grade got on a Greek tragedy kick and read everything I could lay hands on.

Then by high school I loved mysteries and Rex Stout, Leslie Chatteris (the Saint!), Leslie Ford, Manning Coles, Agatha Christie and Marjorie Allingham. And then my brother introduced me to science fiction - I think Agent of Vega was the first I read, then I steamrolled through Heinlein, Asimov, and all the other Golden Age sf writers and I have always had a soft spot for James Schmidt's Witches of Karres, Tolkein and Cordwainer Smith has stuck with me all these years too.

I love reading!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:56 am

My parents, esp. Dad, were always reading. Dad introduced me to Michener. I've read several of his books, but he's not a favorite.

I liked Nancy Drew, Robinson Crusoe was a fave for awhile.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:48 am

So, which ones could you see yourself revisiting--the ones you liked that much?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:10 am

Hmmm... Robinson Crusoe, anything by Poe. Nancy Drew.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 am

I was big on the Gunslinger series by Steven King.

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 am

That's one series I couldn't get in to, All. I read a couple of them, but the series just never held me.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 pm

The first 3 really got me. Before he "re-wrote" them to work better with later stories.

What can I say, versions of the rugged individual always captivated me. I liked Clint Eastwoods westerns too.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:49 pm

I was actually attempting to read "Murder at the Rure Morgue" to my fiance last night, but she couldn't get past the density of his prose, so I ended up reading some of his poetry to her instead.

Then ended up reading Watership Down again.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Nancy Drew, The Boxcar Children that Dave mentioned, and A Wrinkle in Time. Timeless!

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Gorm_Sionnach wrote:I was actually attempting to read "Murder at the Rure Morgue" to my fiance last night, but she couldn't get past the density of his prose, so I ended up reading some of his poetry to her instead.

Yeah, that is one of his more densely written ones, Gorm, although a favorite of mine.

Try reading her The Tell-Tale Heart or The Pit and the Pendulum instead. I used to do those aloud to my English classes and found they're better read-alouds than a number of Poe's others.

For you Nancy Drew fans, if you want to re-read any, be sure to look for those marked "classic" or "original." The Nancy Drew series have all been condensed and simplified for today's much shorter attention span. They're terrible as a result.

I remember one little girl who got hooked on the Nancy Drews when I worked at Borders. Her grandmother had given her a few old copies of the original ones. Unfortunately, we only carried the reproductions of those during the holiday season. She was very disappointed when she sampled some of the contemporary ones and said they read like baby's books. I had to agree, they're dummied down so much.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:18 pm

I've been rereading Dorothy Sayers and Georgette Heyer, Upfield and Allingham and Coles recently which is why they came to mind so easily.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Oh, I devoured Georgette Heyer's books when I was in high school! They're still charming reads despite being more squeaky-clean than I prefer anymore, dirty old woman that I've become. Twisted Evil
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm

The largest collection I loved growing up is the Happy Hollister series of books. We had most of the collection and I read those numerous times. The local library had some of the others and I checked those out several times. I checked a used book store for the series a few years back and figured out I wasn't able to afford the series now that it's supposedly collectible.

Loved the Wind in the Willows, too. Then got to watch it in installments on a children's show, which was nice.

Picked up L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time trilogy in sixth grade and loved it. Bought it in an omnibus edition for my daughter a couple of years ago, with a fourth book added to it. Didn't like the fourth book as much as the original three.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top