It has been said . . .

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It has been said . . .

Post by iNtErNeT mYsTeRy on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:28 pm

“If a believer could spread the gospel like a Mormon, had the patience of Supernanny, the persistence of a JW, the work ethic of a Hutterite, the commitment to prayer of a Muslim, and their church had kneeling boards like the Catholics along with the outreach capability like Billy Graham’s and they could take a homeless person into their home as easily as they could a lost dog and had the dedication to brotherhood of a Soldier along with the loving care of a Doctor and the fear of a sparrow; that might be considered beginning to mimic Jesus then all it would need is God’s power to give it true Christian purpose.”
iNtErNeT mYsTeRy

Back to top Go down

Re: It has been said . . .

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:32 pm

And this goes so well under "Literature?"

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Well, it does appear to be a quotation, unattributed but a quotation nonetheless.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Plagiarism... WONDERFUL!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 pm

iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:“If a believer could spread the gospel like a Mormon, had the patience of Supernanny, the persistence of a JW, the work ethic of a Hutterite, the commitment to prayer of a Muslim, and their church had kneeling boards like the Catholics along with the outreach capability like Billy Graham’s and they could take a homeless person into their home as easily as they could a lost dog and had the dedication to brotherhood of a Soldier along with the loving care of a Doctor and the fear of a sparrow; that might be considered beginning to mimic Jesus then all it would need is God’s power to give it true Christian purpose.”

Yeah, but then I'd have to kill him on general principle....

Twisted Evil
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:44 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:“If a believer could spread the gospel like a Mormon, had the patience of Supernanny, the persistence of a JW, the work ethic of a Hutterite, the commitment to prayer of a Muslim, and their church had kneeling boards like the Catholics along with the outreach capability like Billy Graham’s and they could take a homeless person into their home as easily as they could a lost dog and had the dedication to brotherhood of a Soldier along with the loving care of a Doctor and the fear of a sparrow; that might be considered beginning to mimic Jesus then all it would need is God’s power to give it true Christian purpose.”

Yeah, but then I'd have to kill him on general principle....

Twisted Evil

I'd happily supply the weapon, food to replenish your energy, and a cheering section!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 pm

When you think about it, that quote isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Christians is it?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Dot, I got bored and didn't bother to read it all.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:04 pm

It doesn't actually make much sense. I think the person is trying to say that without God's power, Christianity is nothing, because works mean nothing.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:16 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:It doesn't actually make much sense. I think the person is trying to say that without God's power, Christianity is nothing, because works mean nothing.

So one could take it to mean that Christianity doesn't mean anything, because I see very little evidence of a supernatural power within it.

Unfortunately, the power of mere mortals is not to be underestimated.....

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by iNtErNeT mYsTeRy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:53 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Literature?

My condolences that you do not understand the concept of literature. Perhaps you should try posting your ignorance in another category instead of making a fool of yourself in this one and take no offense huh? Wink
iNtErNeT mYsTeRy

Back to top Go down

Post by iNtErNeT mYsTeRy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:55 pm

tmarie64 wrote:plagiarism

Quoting someone is not plagiarism, moron; look it up and take no offense huh? Smile
iNtErNeT mYsTeRy

Back to top Go down

Post by iNtErNeT mYsTeRy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Would love to respond to the rest of you ('insult removed by moderator) with regard to your (insult removed by moderator) posts on this topic too but "you" may now proceed to the "Poor Me stories" topic I posted instead.

I have removed most of the insults from this post
Be careful what you post on these boards, keep the attacks up and you will be removed.
MaineCaptain: Admin.

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inflamatory attacks on other posters)
iNtErNeT mYsTeRy

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 pm

iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:

Quoting someone is not plagiarism, moron; look it up and take no offense huh? Smile

Yeah, if you give them credit.

Using the words as your own is plagiarism.

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:58 pm

iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:Would love to respond to the rest of you ('insult removed by moderator) with regard to your (insult removed by moderator) posts on this topic too but "you" may now proceed to the "Poor Me stories" topic I posted instead.

I thought you flamed out because of the butthurt? Why are you still here?

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove edited insults from quoted poster.)
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 pm

iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:

Quoting someone and NOT GIVING CREDIT is Plagiarism, a&&wipe.

Perhaps you should learn to use a legal dictionary.

Last edited by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : eidted to correct my not so nice term. ;))

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Ah... Fall has come, school is back.

Dear Internet Mystery: Please read the forum rules at http://yourspirituality.motionforum.net/please-read-f22/site-rules-t123.htm .

Obey them, or you're banned. It's very simple. Discussion is welcomed, flamers aren't tolerated.

Plagarism is not tolerated either, and that is what you have done, if those words are not yours.

That's all there is to it.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 pm

iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:

My condolences that you do not understand the concept of literature. Perhaps you should try posting your ignorance in another category instead of making a fool of yourself in this one and take no offense huh? Wink

What you posted is both plagiarized and a mangled quotation. The concluding portion sounds as if you omitted a segment, because it doesn't continue the main idea sensibly.

While technically it can be considered literature since it is prose, it certainly doesn't begin to qualify as great literature.

Who was it who began slinging insults first? Good manners begin at home yanno.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:21 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
iNtErNeT mYsTeRy wrote:

What you posted is both plagiarized and a mangled quotation. The concluding portion sounds as if you omitted a segment, because it doesn't continue the main idea sensibly.

While technically it can be considered literature since it is prose, it certainly doesn't begin to qualify as great literature.

Who was it who began slinging insults first? Good manners begin at home yanno.

DOT & TED, I have the image of an unwanted feral kitten swatting at anything that happens by.

Swatting from fear, of course.

(Not much of a mystery..... )
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Hmm. I had more in mind a little boy poking a wasps' nest with a stick....

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Why do people come and insult other people? This is such a pleasant place to play, I would love to keep it that way.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Group Hug Everyone I know, you know who you are

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:45 pm

We've missed your gentle influence, MC. See what bad boys turn up to rile us when you're away?

I've been concerned about you since it's been a while since I saw you last.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:59 pm

I am glad to see you too MC!

The current trend (not on here - the world) of incivility is very disquieting. I was on WoW and asked a question and the next thing I know a person was yelling that I was stupid and if I couldn't figure it out on my own then I was too stupid to play WoW, etc. There were several other people who contacted me to say ignore him and others too who said, if you don't want to answer questions you don't need to do it. But don't attack people.

I wasn't hurt. It was a good question and later I heard it asked again and this time it turned out that a lot of people were having the same problems and the answers before were not fixing it. I just marveled at that one person who acted like a giant baby throwing a tantrum. It is the same kind of person I think who now thinks it is okay to bully a gay person or a woman or a person of color just because no one can stop them. They feel, I think, extreme entitlement. Instead of being a good and honorable friend and a kind person to strangers, they see others as their potential victims.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:48 pm

((((((MC))))))) It's so nice to see you again, my friend!!! Hug2

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum