Free Will

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Free Will

Post by wontgetfooledagain on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:08 am

Is the Christian God really giving us a "free gift".. or is he pointing a gun at our heads while asking us to love him? Take a look at this video.. and you decide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtSM2oVy_E

wontgetfooledagain

http://www.myspace.com/robertvincentmusic

Back to top Go down

Re: Free Will

Post by Redfrog on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:04 am

Great video...........been saying the same for years. I'm glad that someone else is saying it too.............

Redfrog

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 pm

It is an excellent point. I have never been able to figure out what the problem is with theists opinion with atheists are.

I do not like thought police.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 am

Having been Christian, in the past, I used to wonder this
same idea. While those in church said God gives us a chance to choose him or
not. From that idea, I would say, but in that same thought, if you don’t choose
God, you’re condemned, is that right? So in an honest view, no, humanity doesn’t
have choice, you can choose God and be saved or not choose God and be damned.
What kind of choice is that? scratch

I grew to a point that when this subject was spoken of, I’d
have to say that choice is not an accurate word that coercion was a more
precise description of it. The way I see it, if you truly have a choice, you
can choose and the consequences may follow but then to add, you also are
punished in the after life, that’s double indemnity

Heck, in human society, we try to avoid such actions but
then we claim that God is somehow better…it doesn’t add up.
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:22 am

My last post was probably as clear as mud... ImWithStupid
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:27 am

Having never been Christian, I am still able to at least understand their perspective on the issue. It is often a single choice, with only two outcomes, but they do feel that there is a choice, albeit from their perspective a fairly easy one to make. Eternal life or eternal suffering, not a hard choice.

Some of us though, perfer the multiple choice...

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:11 am

My upbringing in Christianity gave me a different take on this. For one thing, humans could choose all they wanted but that didn't mean that they would be chosen by Yahweh. Only a certain number were going to be chosen and, looking around in the church pews? Didn't mean a thing. I think because of that, my parents preferred to think compassionately that their god would never condemn the vast majority of humans to eternal hellfire simply because he did not want them for his chosen people.

The free will part came in if he contacted you directly and you decided you did not want him for your god. And then it wasn't (to my parents) like he was going to punish them for eternity for refusing him - their god wasn't some nutso spurned lover. It was just that those people weren't going to get ice cream and cake (example) and well, that was their choice.

I have a feeling that my parents had a "different" brand of Christianity than most. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:27 am

gillyflower wrote:My upbringing in Christianity gave me a different take on this. For one thing, humans could choose all they wanted but that didn't mean that they would be chosen by Yahweh. Only a certain number were going to be chosen and, looking around in the church pews? Didn't mean a thing. I think because of that, my parents preferred to think compassionately that their god would never condemn the vast majority of humans to eternal hellfire simply because he did not want them for his chosen people.

The free will part came in if he contacted you directly and you decided you did not want him for your god. And then it wasn't (to my parents) like he was going to punish them for eternity for refusing him - their god wasn't some nutso spurned lover. It was just that those people weren't going to get ice cream and cake (example) and well, that was their choice.

I have a feeling that my parents had a "different" brand of Christianity than most. Smile

Certainly a different brand than mine. I think my mother prays for my soul each and every day because I stopped being her flavor of Christian. The pagan thing just makes me triply damned. Rolling Eyes
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAllALie on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:30 am

I am always shocked by what I perceive is a HUGE difference in the Jewish "version" of free will and the Fundamentalist Christian version,,,,,,

I mean free will is what you choose to DO,,,,,,it has nothing to do with what you 'believe",,,how do you CHOOSE to believe something?

I believe in free will, and I believe we all have free will (at least all mature, healthy individuals do),,,the Story of Adam and Eve is a STORY which illustrates that,,,,,when we choose to do right, we will be blessed,,,,when we choose to do wrong, we will reap the consequences,,,,

But you don't have to believe in MY God to choose to do right,,,,,in fact, what you BELIEVE matters little at all,,,,

I believe that you will be blessed for doing right whether you believe in my God or any other God or no God at all,,,,If we all chose to do right, we'd certainly be blessed with a much better world to live in, that's for sure,,,,,Holly
ItsAllALie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top