Internet safety 101.....

Go down

Internet safety 101.....

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 am

I'm not a university LAW PROFESSOR, or anything, but even I know, hell my 12 year old knows, you DO NOT INVITE the 21 year old internet friend of your 16 year old daughter to stay with you. These people found out the hard way... It's a horrible crime, but, come ON...Personal responsibility is a GOOD thing.

[/url]Law PROFESSOR killed by internet friend of her 16 year old daughter....
Tomorrow, one year will have passed since the gruesome discovery of four bodies in a Longwood University professor's home a few blocks from campus.

Some things have changed. The professor's home, which stands vacant in the peaceful neighborhood as a stark reminder of the horrific crime, has been sold and fixed up. The owners plan to sell it eventually.

Students planted two holly trees on campus to remember Debra S. Kelley, a professor of sociology and criminal-justice studies.

Kelley was killed along with her estranged husband, Mark Niederbrock, pastor of Walker's Presbyterian Church in Appomattox County; their daughter, Emma Niederbrock, 16; and her friend Melanie Wells, 18, of West Virginia.

The suspect in the killings, Richard Samuel Alden McCroskey III, 21, has a status hearing scheduled Monday in Prince Edward County Circuit Court.

Last month, the Rev. Joseph C. McCutchen, interim pastor of Walker's Presbyterian, moved the books from Mark Niederbrock's extensive minister's library to the Presbytery of the Peaks in Lynchburg. About half of the books are being used by other ministers.

During Sunday's service, members of Walker's Presbyterian plan to take some time to share their memories of Niederbrock, and they will place flowers beside his grave outside the church.

McCutchen said members also will write their thoughts on a large sheet of paper that will be sent to Niederbrock's mother, who lives in Illinois.

In Farmville, some students and residents say the killings are much less a topic of conversation one year later.

Still, others say that the crime and the "horrorcore" culture that the killings thrust to the forefront fundamentally have changed the views of some residents, making them less trusting and more wary of making friends online.

McCroskey, a California man who recorded rap music about graphic violence and other grisly topics, faces multiple counts of capital murder in the four deaths. His attorneys declined to discuss the status of the case.

"This has always been a difficult case to resolve," one of the attorneys, Cary B. Bowen, said this week.

Bowen added that he has received initial results of an evaluation of McCroskey's mental status, but he declined to elaborate.

Prince Edward Commonwealth's Attorney James R. Ennis has declined to say publicly what punishment he is seeking and would make no comment on the case this week.

. . .

Farmville's town manager, Gerald J. Spates, recalls being outside 505 First Ave. last Sept. 18 after police found the bodies.

"I just remember them coming out and saying they found three bodies, and then they said they found a fourth one," Spates said this week. Officers were visibly shaken.

Spates remembers the questions that flashed through his head.

"Was this a random thing or somebody that they knew?" he remembers wondering.

The main concern was catching whoever did it, and quickly.

With the help of a horrorcore musician who knows McCroskey, the authorities named him as a suspect that same day. The next day, they captured him at Richmond International Airport, where he was awaiting a flight home to California.

. . .

McCroskey had met Emma online and was visiting her from California. He and the two teenage victims had an interest in the macabre.

Emma's parents took the three horrorcore fans to a music festival in Michigan several days before their bodies were found.

Authorities have assigned no motive in the case.

Gregory Allen, who lives about a block from the crime scene, said residents are more likely to lock their doors now.

He remembers seeing McCroskey, Emma and Wells walk past his house. After the killings, he said, he couldn't sleep and was beset by nightmares.

"People thought this was a nice neighborhood -- nobody would have expected something like that, and now they're scared," he said. "It was a trauma."

Jamieson Colgate, a Longwood junior from Chase City who had Kelley as his adviser, said he deactivated his MySpace account soon after the killings "to be safer." McCroskey and Emma were active on MySpace.

"It sends shivers up my back," Colgate said.

Some residents brusquely refused to discuss the crime this week, and others said people no longer are dwelling on the topic.

"It's hard to know what to think about it," said Jim Munson, a history professor at Longwood who walks by the house often. "It's one of those weird, random things that could happen to anybody."

. . .

In March, an auction to sell the house on First Avenue drew perhaps more than 100 people to the property, said the auctioneer, E.A. "Bill" Talbert.

Among those attending was W. Shelton Foster, who bought the house along with a Buckingham County man.

"It seemed like the house was reaching out for some tender love and care," Foster said.

Sellers and real estate agents in Virginia are not required to disclose to potential buyers information about a house that was a crime scene.

In April, student members of Longwood's criminal-justice fraternity, Lambda Alpha Epsilon, planted two Nellie Stevens hollies outside Ruffner Hall. Kelley had founded the fraternity.

Chrissy Ferguson, who was the fraternity's president when the trees were planted, said she hopes McCroskey is "properly penalized for his actions."

"What is most upsetting to me," she wrote in an e-mail, "is that no matter what type of sentence he is given, no action will restore the special lives" that were taken.

Ken Perkins, Longwood's interim vice president for academic affairs, said he misses Kelley every day.

"Not a day goes by that I don't think of her, especially when I have to walk past where she used to park her distinctive blue van," he wrote in an e-mail.

"It is hard for me to believe, even after a year, that she and her family are in their graves."

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet safety 101.....

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 am

"Emma's parents took the three horrorcore fans to a music festival in Michigan several days before their bodies were found."

*headdesk*

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:29 am

The worst part... The third was a 21 year old guy visiting their 16 year old daughter....... and they were educated people!

Just goes to show educated does NOT mean smart.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:34 am

I think we're jumping to conclusions hastily on fragmentary information.

We know far too little about the extent to which Prof. Kelley knew this man before inviting him. For all we know, she had gone through recommended protocol and had met him in a public place beforehand after her daughter had known him for some time online.

I can see that she could easily have thought that inviting him to be a guest in their home would enable her to supervise the two's interactions more adequately.

Would we judge this tragedy similarly had the parents taken McCroskey, their daughter and her friend to a Christian music concert or a church convention? I don't think so, but it could still have occurred nevertheless.

Also, if the man truly is a serial killer, then they're typically very skilled at concealing their murderous tendencies. Crime author Ann Rule worked alongside Ted Bundy at a suicide crisis call center for about a year and says she never had an inkling that he was the type of person who could be a serial killer. In fact, she thought him a thoroughly nice guy. BTK killer Dennis Rader's wife and family had no idea that he had committed brutal murders over a period of decades. Neither did the pastor nor the members of his church when Rader served as church president.

The thing that I would say was poor judgment is permitting your 16-year-old of either gender to hang out with a 21-year-old. However, parents sometimes do that and don't end up brutally murdered as a result.

This really could have happened to anyone unfortunate enough to have trusted someone they ought not have, whether they met the person online or in real life.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:50 am

You NEVER bring in a 21 year old man from the internet, BECAUSE you don't know who he is or what he is about.
I don't care what kind of concert it was... I care that they thought it was a good idea to bring a COMPLETE stranger, who flew across the US, literally, into their home.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 am

Tina, we do NOT know that this was the very first time anyone in the family had met the man in real life. The stories I read said that the invitation to their home was the first time that Emma had met him. We have no information about the extent to which her parents might have checked him out.

Yes, it was dumb if they made no inquiries at all and merely assumed he was harmless even though into this horror stuff just as were many decent but rebellious young adults when Goth was fashionable.

And possibly he had no prior criminal record whatsoever. He could have become so steeped in horrorcore that he suddenly decided he'd take it all to the next level or had been contemplating doing so for some time.

The fact remains that this could have happened to anyone even if they went through recommended safety protocols for real life meetings with those one knows online.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am

If these parents watched Law and Order, like some of us do religiously, they would know all children and their friends are either out to kill you or will be murder victims.

Wink

Maybe that's just in New York. Boxed In

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:29 am

LOL, TED. Precisely.

This has me thinking back to how I met my husband.

We met in an AOL chatroom. I'd known him for a few months online before I gave him my phone number, and we began talking regularly long distance.

After we'd known each other for a little over a year, some people from the chatroom were organizing a gathering in Richmond, VA.

I'd asked a few of them who'd said online that they'd met Drew at previous gatherings what they thought of him. Each said he was a really nice guy.

So, I decided to go to the gathering and see how we hit it off. I checked and found some hotels not far from the gathering site where I could get a room until my return flight home if things didn't go well, but that was the only backup plan I had.

Obviously, since we've been together for fifteen years now, it all worked out wonderfully...but could easily not have done so.

It's now recommended that you hire an investigator or pay a service for a complete background check before meeting anyone in real life that you know only online. However, that's also a very good idea for anyone you meet in real life.

We're inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when you think about it, that's never very smart no matter what one's level of education.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am

Dot, as YOU said... Some killers are very good at hiding their "career". You don't bring strangers into your home. Even then, I'll be DAMNED if I'm bringing ANY man into my home with my teen age daughter.
I am not inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone who is willing to fly across the country to see my 16 year old daughter. I'm not willing to give the benefit of the doubt to very many people at all. You do that too often and you end up like these people.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm

My story's very similar to Dot's, minus the happy ending. Neutral

Once I drove to Florida to meet the ex, though, I was very angry at her for not meeting me in the parking lot of her apartment complex and rather telling me to meet her inside for the first time. She countered with "I knew you were okay!" and I came back with a No you didn't!

I'm very carefree when it comes to my own caution and safety but rigid about others. Considering I've let more than a few strangers in, it's hypocritical to say these people shouldn't have, but if I had a kid it might also be a different story.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't know gang. To me its the "scare tactics" factor at work here. Question It runs ramped in today's society. Its constantly in the news, in our entertainment (movies, TV, music etc) "scare tactics" is in our lives up front & in our face. Lets everyone be "very afraid". If your not afraid of everybody & everything then your trusting, & we can't be too trusting cause then you'll be a society outcast, people might just need a little bit MORE drama in their lives. Why? Because everyone is all alike we're afraid of our own shadows. That my friend is very ill fated on our part. I read a good book awhile back concerning this very subject. Our mind, & inner self KNOW when we are in fight or flight danger....however we choose to ignore ourselves because we are bomb barded w so much fight or flight stresses in our daily lives. We live in a constant fate of fear. (Gotta ask John the name of the book).

Look at us here on this site. We are all internet friends, & there are some of you that I would like to meet face to face. I mean really, a lot of you live in really cool places that I've never been. A lot of you have become my friends & I feel a connection to spiritually. I would like to come "meet" some of you. However you know that I'm a military minded person, & after being here @ Ft. Gordon, around some nut cases....I just might snap one day & it might happen while we're out enjoying ourselves.
Suspect

And I might be a little gruff here or it might be the Percocet I'm taking.

But when its your time to go, its your time to go.

Rolling Eyes
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Scare tactics? They let in some 21 year old .... thing... who was "friends" with their 16 year old daughter... HE MURDERED THEM.... Damn skippy people should be scared.

First, I'd be ultra-concerned that someone 21 years old is going to spend the cash to fly across the country to see my 16 year old daughter.
Second, I wouldn't be letting ANY male who came to see my daughter stay in my home.
Third, I wouldn't let the person described in #1 stay in my home.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:01 pm

I agree with you, Dee. I couldn't live my life if I didn't act on a "what the hell" occasionally. Most people are decent, and one rarely gets a shocking surprise that comes anywhere close to this.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Well really & truly I'm just sick & tired of all the drama hype of news. Murders have been going on since the beginning of time. The whole news story is sort of lacking of & in itself. You can't have the coppers & the DA making statements & giving away tidbets of info about the case (no brainer here please?) Really? The "guilty" party was quickly found. Hmmm? Wow! Does this really impress me? Last time I checked "you are innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt" I have lots of questions here, but why bother because thats how news is reported now a days. Either in the newpaper, quickly over the internet, on the TV or radio. Drama Mama's & sadly it makes some of my female friends wring their hands & become fearful along w irrational. To me its just society's way of preying upon & controling the masses out there. To add more damage they play upon emotions & reality by step by step & yr by yr reporting.... Hang onto your seat, mindset. (I don't understand this type of reporting) Most serial killers just want their 5 seconds of fame. Well if McCrosky is really the killer like they say (not from here type of mindset) then he sure has received more than his 5 seconds of fame.)
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Fact is that Kelley's estranged husband, Presbyterian minister or no, was far more likely to have done such killings than anyone else.

As you say, Dee, things like this have happened now and again down through human history, but it's only now that we have near-instant media hype to raise each isolated occurrence to the point of the ridiculous and encourage us to get hysterical over the remote likelihood that something like this will ever happen to anyone we know.

Even we baby boomers remember the "Don't talk to strangers" rule from waaaay back when we rode our pet dinosaur to elementary school. Wink But parents weren't half as paranoid then about their kids walking or riding bikes to school. They simply trusted in the extreme rarity of such things as abductions and murders and were nearly always correct.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down