A Different Sort of Christian

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Different Sort of Christian

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:17 am

Greetings!

The news, and our neighborhoods, are ripe with poor examples of Christianity. People forcing their beliefs on others, hypocritical actions.... judging others yet displaying no love. And, yes, that whole crazy Glenn Beck/Palin movement... which is starting to frighten me.

To counter this, I thought I'd begin a list of folks who happen to be Christian that I truly admire... NOT for their *perfection*... but for their love. People my beloved friends on YS would be willing to befriend Smile

I adore Sara Miles. She was an unlikely convert and is the type of Christian you would never see connected to Dobson; but she knows deep love for the hurt. Sara runs a food pantry in San Francisco... weekly she cooks for and provide food for thousands. She is a journalist who spent many years in Central America during various wars; which gives her such a solid footing when it comes to understanding humanity. She says of herself: "I know that there are a lot of Christians who don't think I ought to be allowed in the club. Luckily, Christianity is not a club."

http://saramiles.net/interviews?id=2http://saramiles.net/interviews?id=2

Next.... Anne Lamott. I don't simply read her books; I devour them. She does not run away from the heartbreakingly beautiful nature of life; she describes imperfection perfectly.

Interestingly enough, both of these women are single mom's, like me. Neither use their writings or actions to force their faith upon others (they do not use goodness as a tool to proselytize.)

Are there any Christians you guys admire?

Peace & Love

~S

Anne Lamott: "You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

Sara Miles: "Apparently, Jesus thinks there are two kinds of people in the world: your neighbors, whom you are to love; and your enemies, whom you are to love."
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Re: A Different Sort of Christian

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Former President Jimmy Carter.

I respect immensely his and Roslyn's work with Habitat for Humanity as well as his efforts to negotiate peace worldwide.

Unlike many other U.S. presidents, he was one of the few who felt that world harmony is more important than American imperialism.

I also admire him for disavowing the Southern Baptist Convention for being unloving and unchristian. I don't agree with his evangelical Christian beliefs, but the way he lives them, I can't help but respect and admire. He's a better person by far than I.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Rich Mullins.

Great singer/songwriter, and I felt like he really tried to live his faith well and help the most people he could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Mullins

He was raised by his Quaker mom and influenced by St. Francis. He's the one who wrote "Awesome God". I thought he was pretty awesome, myself.

From wiki:

The profits from his tours and the sale of each album went to his church, which divided it up, paid Mullins the average salary in the U.S. for that year, and gave the rest to charity. Mullins was also a major supporter of Compassion International and Compassion USA.

His faith can be understood by a quote he gave at a concert shortly before his death. He stated that:

Jesus said whatever you do to the least of these my brothers you’ve done it to me. And this is what I’ve come to think. That if I want to identify fully with Jesus Christ, who I claim to be my savior and Lord, the best way that I can do that is to identify with the poor. This I know will go against the teachings of all the popular evangelical preachers. But they’re just wrong. They’re not bad, they’re just wrong. Christianity is not about building an absolutely secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in a beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved and Jesus loved the poor and Jesus loved the broken....(concert recording cuts off at this moment, losing any further context for this particular quote)

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks DOT and TED.... beautiful additions and examples!

Carter..... the only president I can think of who is better known for his post-presidential acts. I have a book of his that I've never read; I think I need to bump it up!

TED, I've never heard of Rich Mullins... thanks!

Ok... now thanks to Chiyo, I have a NEW person to add; Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori of the Episcopal Church USA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IxG96wpx60

Last edited by Sakhaiva on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : broken link)
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top