Think I caught TV Evangelist in a lie.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Think I caught TV Evangelist in a lie.

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:30 am

I was over at my brother's house [he and his wife are witches]. We both were raised in christianity, so every once in a while, he'll turn on Daystar to see what they're saying. The station was having a share-a-thon [yeah, real shocker there] when the main guy said "While Brother Hagee was talking, God spoke to me and told me that there were 144 people out there who needed to give $1,000 to be tied in to the 144,000 Jewish evangelists during the tribulation. . . . " Soon after, there was this graphic up on the screen with the numbers 1 through 144, and a title of "144,000". Now, if this guy HAD "just heard God tell him to request this", why did they already have a graphic to use as people called in? Each number was circled when a person called in and their name was read on the air.

So, to recap, . . . this guy "just heard from god", . . . but a graphic was on the screen. Looks like this was planned from before the share-a-thon even began, thus he lied to the viewing audience with "I just heard from God while Brother Hagee was talking. . . "

Opinions?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Re: Think I caught TV Evangelist in a lie.

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:53 am

Were his lips moving? You can always tell when a TV evangelist is lying, their lips move.

Evil Grin
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I agree-he didn't "just hear it." But, i don't think that counts as much of a lie; unless you can actually prove it was thought up by the marketing committee. Some amount of hyperbole is permissable as a figure of speech-your mileage may vary.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:39 pm

If there hadn't been that nice graphic, I wouldn't have thought any different. . . . other than the fact that they will always use "god told me to ask for _______" [fill in the blank of numbers of people giving certain amounts of money]. If it WAS decided upon before the broadcast, then to say "WHILE Brother Hagee was talking, god put it in my mind to ask . . . ", was a deception to pray on those who would "be moved" to give as a result.

This thread isn't an absolute on their actions, . . . just my opinion of what I saw.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Hardly surprising or shocking either one. Frankly, I'd say this is small potatoes compared with Oral Roberts' appalling performance when he claimed that God had conveyed to him that if people didn't send in some outrageous amount of money, God would "take him home."

I don't know why you guys bother watching such garbage. Weren't there any good cartoons on?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Hehe, . . . not at that time. I think he likes watching it because of the silly things they do or say. When I'm at my place, I don't turn on that channel, and it is even disabled so I don't see it when I'm scrolling through channels.

Yeah, Oral Roberts was an obvious false prophet. Good times! Laughing
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Hardly surprising or shocking either one. Frankly, I'd say this is small potatoes compared with Oral Roberts' appalling performance when he claimed that God had conveyed to him that if people didn't send in some outrageous amount of money, God would "take him home."

I get to keep my money and still get rid of him?

Win-win!
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:22 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:Hardly surprising or shocking either one. Frankly, I'd say this is small potatoes compared with Oral Roberts' appalling performance when he claimed that God had conveyed to him that if people didn't send in some outrageous amount of money, God would "take him home."

I get to keep my money and still get rid of him?

Win-win!

LOL, all! You've enjoyed both states for a while since he died late last year. Natural causes from what I heard. Anyway, nothing as spectacular as the RCC's belief in the bodily assumption of Mary into heaven. Neat trick, that one. Doesn't seem to have made the news in Palestine at the time however.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 am

Something like this doesn't surprise me in the least when one considers frauds like Peter Popoff who's "Gift of Knowledge" was a radio transmission from his wife offstage reading from cards filled out by the suckers faithful when they entered the arena. Link here
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:23 pm

TPaine wrote:Something like this doesn't surprise me in the least when one considers frauds like Peter Popoff who's "Gift of Knowledge" was a radio transmission from his wife offstage reading from cards filled out by the suckers faithful when they entered the arena. Link here

Wasn't he the one who busted by James Randi?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

James Randi is a fraud himself.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Has anyone seen that movie with Steve Martin? Leap of Faith, I think....

Love the movie. Hate scum like Popoff.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 am

How about the movie, Fletch Lives. There is a Popoff character on that movie.

It is a great way to rid gullible people of their money/support. People, who are in a rough situation, are easily swayed by promises of a better life, . . . so an evangelist saying, "if you give this amount, God will give you back 100 fold", that will be all such a person will need to "risk it", even if it means doing with less than they already have. It's a "lottery gamble", so to speak.

These people are despicable, in my opinion. They are theives. Now, I'm not saying this about the person in the OP, but his is suspect.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Davelaw wrote:I agree-he didn't "just hear it." But, i don't think that counts as much of a lie; unless you can actually prove it was thought up by the marketing committee. Some amount of hyperbole is permissable as a figure of speech-your mileage may vary.

There's that, and then too, stuff like that can be posted with little or no trouble from right there in the studio while the person is speaking. All he had to do was give the information he wanted posted to someone working a computer, and BAM!!! it's a done thing. Technology is a great tool regardless of who's using it. And I agree with Dave... I don't think he "just" heard it either. That ain't saying he wasn't inspired while scheming to take as much money as he could out of some pitiful believer's pockets.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Stuff like this makes me throw up. Now I know what to turn on next time I've eaten some bad sushi. Smile

Seriously, I have a hard time watching stuff like that or hearing the 'word of Faith' nonsense without either wanting to throw something or use words I shouldn't say in public. And I'm a Christian, so it's not because I'm 'anti-Christianity.'
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:53 am

Exactly! . . . I may not agree with the theology, . . . but for someone IN a religion that claims the "moral high ground", they'd better freakin' BE moral/ethical! Suspect
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by silverswhispers on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 am

DeavonReye wrote:I was over at my brother's house [he and his wife are witches]. We both were raised in christianity, so every once in a while, he'll turn on Daystar to see what they're saying. The station was having a share-a-thon [yeah, real shocker there] when the main guy said "While Brother Hagee was talking, God spoke to me and told me that there were 144 people out there who needed to give $1,000 to be tied in to the 144,000 Jewish evangelists during the tribulation. . . . " Soon after, there was this graphic up on the screen with the numbers 1 through 144, and a title of "144,000". Now, if this guy HAD "just heard God tell him to request this", why did they already have a graphic to use as people called in? Each number was circled when a person called in and their name was read on the air.

So, to recap, . . . this guy "just heard from god", . . . but a graphic was on the screen. Looks like this was planned from before the share-a-thon even began, thus he lied to the viewing audience with "I just heard from God while Brother Hagee was talking. . . "

Opinions?

Clearly the answer is that this was a miracle.
silverswhispers

http://www.enlightenedmonkey.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top