Favorite Software

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Favorite Software

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:40 pm

What's your favorite software programs?

CCleaner www.ccleaner.com/ , Pidgin www.pidgin.im/ , GIMP, www.gimp.org/ , Firefox www.mozilla.com/firefox/ , and Frostwire www.frostwire.com/ are mine.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite Software

Post by Mintie on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Firefox, spybot, photoscape
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot spybot!

I've also been very impressed with BitDefender, even though it does cost. It's cheap and has been rated the best and most effective virus scanner for the year.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm

I have Avastfree but I'm not entirely sure it's the best one there is (for free)
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:48 pm

I've used that for the last two years.

I thought I was impressed with it until I read this:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

and

http://www.starreviews.com/Antivirus-Software.aspx

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kartari on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:27 pm

I second GIMP, Spybot, Firefox and CCleaner; free and fantastic software.

My favorite antivirus apps are ESET NOD32 Antivirus and Avira AntiVir. As a computer technician, I have studied a variety of security apps over the years, not only from my own testing but from the reports of the test labs that actually certify these products, like AV-Comparatives.org and AV-Test.org. You can read their latest report summaries at Virus Bulletin here and here. NOD32 is better in terms of proactive defense (vs. unknown, new threats), is very lightweight (e.g. minimal performance impact) and has an extremely low false positive score (e.g. fewest false alarms), so I consider it ideal for the average user. AntiVir has the best detections vs. known threats, and the brand new version 9 includes a free edition that includes both antispyware and antivirus protection (previous free editions did not include antispyware capabilities). The only drawback to the free AV9 is the annoying popups asking you to pay for the full version (which is relatively inexpensive at $27 or 20 euros).

For firewall, the free Online Armor (or even the paid version) is the best around imo for the average user. Comodo Firewall is free and is highly effective, but is too difficult and annoying for the average user. The free Online Armor differs from the paid one only in one significant respect: it does not protect you against keyloggers, though running frequent Spybot scans will assuage this issue. Check out matousec.com for firewall tests and comparisons.

Other useful software I like: the free Winamp for internet radio, the free 7-Zip for (un)compression needs (covers a great variety of compression formats), the free ImgBurn for CD/DVD burning, and the free VLC Media Player for watching DVDs. Winamp has other features (e.g. iPod library and sync support), but I just use it for net radio (I stick with iTunes for my iPod needs, out of habit). ImgBurn is a bit hard to use for the average user, but it works great. VLC is the ONLY free DVD player around afaik, and it works great. It also runs many video formats, including DivX and others. I also enjoy using the free SyncBack SE and TrueCrypt apps for my backup/sync and encryption needs. Most of these can be found at download.com (Winamp can be found at winamp.com).

BitDefender and Avast! are both good enough to be in the upper echelon. But they're not as good as NOD32 and AV.
Kartari

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:15 am

I third CCleaner, Firefox, and Spybot, and second Comodo.

I also love Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Lavasoft Ad-Aware is okay, but it's such a resource hog on my computer that I rarely use it.

A new favorite of mine is WinDirStat. It's a disk usage statistics viewer. I managed to clear about 10 gigs of old and incomplete files and other junk from my computer that I didn't know was there. Of course, it helps to know what exactly you're deleting so you don't accidentally break your computer.

Oh, and IOBit Smart Defrag is excellent, much faster and more effective than the Windows defragmenting program.
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:52 am

Adobe CS3 saved my life!
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 am

I admit I love being able to print any file into a PDF. I'm sure there's probably an opensource alternative out there, which I would go find, but I have an old pirated Adobe 6.0 installation that works perfect.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:10 am

Kartari wrote:I second GIMP, Spybot, Firefox and CCleaner; free and fantastic software.

My favorite antivirus apps are ESET NOD32 Antivirus and Avira AntiVir. As a computer technician, I have studied a variety of security apps over the years, not only from my own testing but from the reports of the test labs that actually certify these products, like AV-Comparatives.org and AV-Test.org. You can read their latest report summaries at Virus Bulletin here and here. NOD32 is better in terms of proactive defense (vs. unknown, new threats), is very lightweight (e.g. minimal performance impact) and has an extremely low false positive score (e.g. fewest false alarms), so I consider it ideal for the average user. AntiVir has the best detections vs. known threats, and the brand new version 9 includes a free edition that includes both antispyware and antivirus protection (previous free editions did not include antispyware capabilities). The only drawback to the free AV9 is the annoying popups asking you to pay for the full version (which is relatively inexpensive at $27 or 20 euros).

For firewall, the free Online Armor (or even the paid version) is the best around imo for the average user. Comodo Firewall is free and is highly effective, but is too difficult and annoying for the average user. The free Online Armor differs from the paid one only in one significant respect: it does not protect you against keyloggers, though running frequent Spybot scans will assuage this issue. Check out matousec.com for firewall tests and comparisons.

Other useful software I like: the free Winamp for internet radio, the free 7-Zip for (un)compression needs (covers a great variety of compression formats), the free ImgBurn for CD/DVD burning, and the free VLC Media Player for watching DVDs. Winamp has other features (e.g. iPod library and sync support), but I just use it for net radio (I stick with iTunes for my iPod needs, out of habit). ImgBurn is a bit hard to use for the average user, but it works great. VLC is the ONLY free DVD player around afaik, and it works great. It also runs many video formats, including DivX and others. I also enjoy using the free SyncBack SE and TrueCrypt apps for my backup/sync and encryption needs. Most of these can be found at download.com (Winamp can be found at winamp.com).

BitDefender and Avast! are both good enough to be in the upper echelon. But they're not as good as NOD32 and AV.

Wow, thank you for the load of information. This will be useful when I get my new laptop and I format this one.
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I admit I love being able to print any file into a PDF. I'm sure there's probably an opensource alternative out there, which I would go find, but I have an old pirated Adobe 6.0 installation that works perfect.

CS3 is way more than just that!
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:56 pm

I am still using photoshop 7 Does it upgrade to the newest version? Honestly I need the ability to do PDF.

What else is special about the newer version, can anyone tell me? Please.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:03 pm

I found this:

http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator

PDFCreator is a free tool to create PDF files from nearly any Windows application.
Key Features:

• Create PDFs from any program that is able to print
  • Security: Encrypt PDFs and protect them from being opened, printed etc.
  • Send generated files via eMail
  • Create more than just PDFs: PNG, JPG, TIFF, BMP, PCX, PS, EPS
  • AutoSave files to folders and filenames based on Tags like Username, Computername, Date, Time etc.
  • Merge multiple files into one PDF
  • Easy Install: Just say what you want and everything is installed
  • Terminal Server: PDFCreator also runs on Terminal Servers without problems
  • And the best: PDFCreator is free, even for commercial use! It is Open Source and released under the Terms of the GNU General Public License.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Tiger you are a sweetie, I will give that a try. Hug

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 pm

If you have an Apple and like to write, I recommend Scrivener. It is a really neat program.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top