Not really a "debate"... but I gotta say it...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not really a "debate"... but I gotta say it...

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:22 am

I hate living here this time of year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had more recruiters (for lack of a better word) knock on my door trying to get me to "Come worship JAYSUS with us this Easter".... Hell! Most of them don't get it at all.
This morning, five minutes ago actually, I have three guys pull up on a van. They come up, I met them outside, wouldn't let them on my deck, and are talking about how JAYSUS is "risen" today and they want me to come to their church tomorrow and celebrate. Of COURSE, having heard the Easter story approximately 100 THOUSAND times in my life, I just had to point out that... "No, Jesus is NOT risen today, sweetheart. That is TOMORROW. I will HAPPILY attend YOUR services tomorrow at noon, IF you will join me at MY church tomorrow at 9 a.m. I'll even come to your homes and give you a ride. You see, I am Catholic and we believe that the rising of Christ is more important than sleeping late."
They burned up the grass getting back to their van.
Amazing how the "C" word directed at fundies works like Holy Water on a vampire. affraid

I hate that Christians feel they must bother people that they have never met at their homes on Saturday morning to solicit attendance for their churches. If you have to recruit members for your church... Your church is doing something wrong.
I also hate that those same "Christians" wouldn't DREAM of stepping foot into any other type of worship facility.
tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Not really a "debate"... but I gotta say it...

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:55 pm

You are a good Lady Tina Very Happy , And if I may, Happy Easter Tomorrow

By the way, how can they be Christians and not know Christ rises tomorrow? that makes no sense to me at all.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HailToTheSquirrel on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Ha ha. That's a funny story. I imagine they do get freaked out. See they are like weekend paintball players whereas the Catholics are like the Navy Seals of the religious world.

Once they came up against the real deal they had to run.

BTW I used to tell them I was Protestant and thereby didn't go to church.

HailToTheSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:12 pm

I´ve gotten a couple of Jesus e-mail this last week, from someone who knows I´m not christian. Not sure if I´m just on her list or what. But if this keeps going I have to talk to her. Not sure how to say it.

But to you who are Christian.

Happy Easter!

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:28 pm

I would never just mass email my contacts. That's rude. If I think enough of you to send you holiday greetings, I'm going to take the time to personalize it.
And... I would never send religious greetings to my contacts who are not Christian. I would send a non-xtian contact an Easter bunny card or something cute, but not religious. Would that be ok?

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:47 pm

I would think it's okay. Question Some people of course get offended at the slightest thing.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I love to get Easter bunny and Christmas cards etc.

I don't mind even if it is a little religious if it has a nice saying or something like that, if it's a more generic kind of message even if it's obvious that it is from a certain religion.

I got one with photographs of Jesus Crucifixion it spoke of the devil and it actually made me so uncomfortable that I deleted it from my deleted items. The second one was just a story, but it spoke of Jesus blood salvation etc. I might have that somewhere if you are interested in seeing what it was.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 pm

I just have to point out one little thing here....Jesus is NOT rising tomorrow.....He is already risen! We're celebrating the anniversary!! Yeesh! Picky, I know...but it had to be said! Those holy rollers need to get their facts straight! LOL

Anyway, to all my fellow Christians....Happy Easter!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 pm

LOL, that's what I was trying to figure out...

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:59 am

tmarie64 wrote:I hate living here this time of year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had more recruiters (for lack of a better word) knock on my door trying to get me to "Come worship JAYSUS with us this Easter".... Hell! Most of them don't get it at all.
This morning, five minutes ago actually, I have three guys pull up on a van. They come up, I met them outside, wouldn't let them on my deck, and are talking about how JAYSUS is "risen" today and they want me to come to their church tomorrow and celebrate. Of COURSE, having heard the Easter story approximately 100 THOUSAND times in my life, I just had to point out that... "No, Jesus is NOT risen today, sweetheart. That is TOMORROW. I will HAPPILY attend YOUR services tomorrow at noon, IF you will join me at MY church tomorrow at 9 a.m. I'll even come to your homes and give you a ride. You see, I am Catholic and we believe that the rising of Christ is more important than sleeping late."
They burned up the grass getting back to their van.
Amazing how the "C" word directed at fundies works like Holy Water on a vampire. affraid

I hate that Christians feel they must bother people that they have never met at their homes on Saturday morning to solicit attendance for their churches. If you have to recruit members for your church... Your church is doing something wrong.
I also hate that those same "Christians" wouldn't DREAM of stepping foot into any other type of worship facility.

That's because many fundies think they are the only Real Christianstm, and that the rest of us are either mistaken, idolators, or deliberately trying to turn others away from The Truthtm. Some of them can't even be bothered to find out the facts about the other groups for themselves, and instead go on whatever they are told. That's how stories like those about how Catholics worship Mary, Wiccans worship Satan and Muslims keep a likeness to Mohammed in their bathroom and thank him for every bowel movement get spread. Okay, I made the last one up, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear something that silly, especially since that one is so antithetical to the Muslim religion that I feel the need to apologize for even joking about it. Smile

You'll have to excuse me, I'm feeling particularly 'feisty' today. Smile

I normally have no issue with missionaries and in fact have made friends with some JWs I met that way, as well as having grown up around several. I wouldn't really call them 'fundies' though, since they have beliefs that are outside of the usual Christian orthodoxy (small 'o') and fully recognize this...the ones I've known are also willing to listen and converse with those of us who see things differently.
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Hysterical May as well revive this thread, after all Holiday #2 for Big Church turnout! Christmas Mass/Services is coming right around the corner! As being raised Catholic in an ethnically cultural household, we also said the present tense...to help teach the young! Jesus is born after the Midnight Christmas Eve Mass, & yes he is rising On Easter Sunday Morning, early! Yes this was said EVERY yr if need be to teach the cousins, grandkids, nieces, nephews! Catholics are just sooo repetitious! Must come from Catholic Schools & Nuns!

Speaking of Nuns: (: Does anyone other than me know how to say their ABC's back wards?

Some Christian religions have Jesus as some ol yesterday kind of dude with his best friend John from 2,000 yrs ago. While others have him also in today's standards miraculously he's become bigger than God, you have to be saved, & be re born, & only through him & on & on!

(Remember to some Christians, Catholics are not at all Christian! Very evil/almost devil - pagan with the incense, statues & candles. Hmmmm???? (That indeed is another topic, isn't it?)
Thats the big diff between Catholics & the rest of Christianity. Its who can attend Mass/Services on those two big Holidays. Catholics need to show off, & Christians need friends! clown Did I say that?

I'm like Beautiful Dreamer..feeling a little feisty tonight! Didn't mean to dis anyone....brought up Catholic, shopped around for the hoopla, returned to my families Ol Ways! What a whirl wind adventure! (Sigh) Thats my story... & I'm sticking to it!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:32 pm

Willow... only had 1 nun as a teacher for the first half of first grade. The person who taught me the rythm for backwards abc's was my 2nd grade teacher. There's a rythm to it and it's quie easy once you figure it out.

I only attended Catholic school that short period because the principal... Sr. James Alma... was nuckin' futs! She was nuts, completely and totally insane. She gave my sister, who was in 6th grade, an ulcer.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:17 am

6th graders shouldn't have ulcers.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:52 am

tmarie64 wrote:Willow... only had 1 nun as a teacher for the first half of first grade. The person who taught me the rythm for backwards abc's was my 2nd grade teacher. There's a rythm to it and it's quie easy once you figure it out.

I only attended Catholic school that short period because the principal... Sr. James Alma... was nuckin' futs! She was nuts, completely and totally insane. She gave my sister, who was in 6th grade, an ulcer.

Ulcers are caused by bacteria, people don't give other people ulcers.
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 am

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Hysterical May as well revive this thread, after all Holiday #2 for Big Church turnout! Christmas Mass/Services is coming right around the corner! As being raised Catholic in an ethnically cultural household, we also said the present tense...to help teach the young! Jesus is born after the Midnight Christmas Eve Mass, & yes he is rising On Easter Sunday Morning, early! Yes this was said EVERY yr if need be to teach the cousins, grandkids, nieces, nephews! Catholics are just sooo repetitious! Must come from Catholic Schools & Nuns!

Speaking of Nuns: (: Does anyone other than me know how to say their ABC's back wards?

Some Christian religions have Jesus as some ol yesterday kind of dude with his best friend John from 2,000 yrs ago. While others have him also in today's standards miraculously he's become bigger than God, you have to be saved, & be re born, & only through him & on & on!

(Remember to some Christians, Catholics are not at all Christian! Very evil/almost devil - pagan with the incense, statues & candles. Hmmmm???? (That indeed is another topic, isn't it?)
Thats the big diff between Catholics & the rest of Christianity. Its who can attend Mass/Services on those two big Holidays. Catholics need to show off, & Christians need friends! clown Did I say that?

I'm like Beautiful Dreamer..feeling a little feisty tonight! Didn't mean to dis anyone....brought up Catholic, shopped around for the hoopla, returned to my families Ol Ways! What a whirl wind adventure! (Sigh) Thats my story... & I'm sticking to it!

Fundamentalism is a soul sickness. This is true whether they are Christian, Muslim, or Jewish. The American bible cults call themselves christian, but that doesn't make them so. If the bible cults had any sense they would unite with their Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican brothers and sister and strengthen Christendom against the snare of the devil.
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Chokmah wrote:

Fundamentalism is a soul sickness. This is true whether they are Christian, Muslim, or Jewish. The American bible cults call themselves christian, but that doesn't make them so. If the bible cults had any sense they would unite with their Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican brothers and sister and strengthen Christendom against the snare of the devil.
But Choke, Youse gots ta remember dat Catholics, Orthodox, and Anglicans really ain't Christians, 'cause I nos dat I is a Christian an dem doesn't believe exactly da same tings I does which means they ain't like me an I is a Christian an I no I is a Christian 'cause my wife's brother in law is a preacher, an him done told me I am. And he otta no 'cause hims ejucated near as good as I am. Sos theres no cents in trying ta get them what ain't really Christian ta unite wid us, 'cause they'll gest corrupt us wit dere heathen message.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 am

Chokmah wrote:
tmarie64 wrote:Willow... only had 1 nun as a teacher for the first half of first grade. The person who taught me the rythm for backwards abc's was my 2nd grade teacher. There's a rythm to it and it's quie easy once you figure it out.

Ulcers are caused, and aggravated, by stress... Even if you don't believe it, that is why we were pulled out of the school... The pyscho principal put so much pressure and stress on my sister. She CAUSED the ulcer.
So sorry you did not understand that "gave" meant caused... Next time I'll be more literal, just for you.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 am

Chokmah wrote:

LOL! About 10% of ulcers are non-H pylorii induced. I've had one. Now technically,it's our reaction to a person that does it - but an insane person in one's life from whose attentions one can't easily escape? That's probably sufficient stress to produce an ulcer in some of us!

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:00 am

TPaine wrote:
Chokmah wrote:

But Choke, Youse gots ta remember dat Catholics, Orthodox, and Anglicans really ain't Christians, 'cause I nos dat I is a Christian an dem doesn't believe exactly da same tings I does which means they ain't like me an I is a Christian an I no I is a Christian 'cause my wife's brother in law is a preacher, an him done told me I am. And he otta no 'cause hims ejucated near as good as I am. Sos theres no cents in trying ta get them what ain't really Christian ta unite wid us, 'cause they'll gest corrupt us wit dere heathen message.

"They funnywalk. They funnytalk" <- Reason enough to kill them, in 'Bumberboom' Of course, that was a world of idiots.... http://www.avramdavidson.org/nutmeg17.htm

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:04 am

TPaine wrote:
Chokmah wrote:

*giggle-snort*

If we're such a corrupting influence, why don't "they" just go find themselves a desert island, and leave the rest of us alone?
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:47 am

because we are Evangelicals: we Have to SAVE you
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:17 am

Davelaw wrote:because we are Evangelicals: we Have to SAVE you

Yes, because your church tells you to convert ie "save" more people so that they can get more money. It is quite a good scheme. You "save" people for an eternity that you have no proof exists. It's like selling the Brooklyn Bridge or swamp land in Florida.... and the preachers laugh all the way to the bank.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:42 am

Meh. What she said.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:47 am

gillyflower wrote:
Davelaw wrote:because we are Evangelicals: we Have to SAVE you

Yes, because your church tells you to convert ie "save" more people so that they can get more money. It is quite a good scheme. You "save" people for an eternity that you have no proof exists. It's like selling the Brooklyn Bridge or swamp land in Florida.... and the preachers laugh all the way to the bank.

my preacher is dying of cancer-he's not laughing at anyone

and if there was "proof"; it wouldn't be faith

and no He's not going to poof out of existence due to Doug Adam's logic
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 am

what we "sell" is the peace of mind -that we have that so many others seem to be lacking-in fact we don't have to sell it-sells itself

that being said you have a point; but its more like multi-layered marketing-or an intellectual virus
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top