Anne Rice - Changing One's Mind

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anne Rice - Changing One's Mind

Post by gillyflower on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:04 pm

I agree with you. The dictionary definition of Christian is:

1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 pm

tmarie64 wrote:If you say you are Following Christ, then you are Christian. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. If you follow His teachings and live your life by his standards..if you FOLLOW Him, you are Christian.
The way she worded her story, she is Christian.

Christian is the religion, not the denomination. One does not have to belong to a church/denomination to be Christian.

I like to think that words have meaning, so I agree. If one has a Christ-centric religious view, they are some kind of Christian.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:21 am

I dunno. There's a difference between regarding Jesus as a philosopher who said many things that were worth listening to (which even I think) and actually worshipping him as a co-entity (for lack of a better term) of God.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:15 am

If you think that Jesus was "a philosopher who said many things that were worth listening to" then you may or may not be a follower of Jesus. You don't have to worship him as a co-entity of Yahweh. There are Christians who believe that Jesus was a man rather than a god and still follow his teachings. They are Christians.

I'm very sensitive to the difference between how a Christian has been defined traditionally (a follower of Jesus and his teachings) because some Evangelicals have tried to redefine the word Christian to mean only people who believe in how their arm of Christianity defines Christians (Evangelicals). In other words they confuse (deliberately, I think) the words Evangelical and Christian. The more mainstream Christian denominations weren't having it because they reserve the right to define the beliefs necessary to belong to their denominations themselves.

Last edited by gillyflower on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:19 am

This...
"I remain committed to Christ as always,"
Does not say "I think he's a great philosopher"... Not to me, anyway. To me, it says, "I believe in Him and follow his teachings".
She is Christian. If you are a citizen of the United States, you are AmericaN. If you are a citizen of Iran, you are Iranian.

If you are committed to Christ, you are Christian.

She's a Christian attention whore, and this is the last I have to say. I have never liked her writing, and never been able to force myself to finish one of the bile filled things she calls "books". Her style is just boring and uninteresting to me. So, she gets no more attention from me.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:50 pm

This column in today's St. Louis paper was both thoughtful and relevant, I thought.

"Keeping faith, losing religion"

I particularly appreciated Pitts' concluding remarks where he makes reference to Falwell's infamous remark about the ACLU's support of human rights being the cause of 9/11 (condoning SIN, don'tcha know?) and Pat Robertson's attributing the catastrophic Haitian earthquake to an ancient curse, both of which would make any reasonable person question the rationality of organized religion, he thinks.

There's merit to that, particularly when so many organized religions tout the importance of goodness. Sure, we all know that humans fall short, but when abuses are hushed up, how can people be expected to take the higher principles of these faiths seriously?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for this DOT (am reading it right now.)
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:32 pm

"Organized religion, Christianity in particular, is on the
decline, and it has no one to blame but itself: It traded moral
authority for political power.

To put that another way: The Christian Bible contains numerous
exhortations to serve those who are wretched and poor, to anger
slowly and forgive promptly, to walk through this life in humility
and faith. The word "Republican" does not appear in the book. Not
once.

Yet somehow in the last 30 years, people of faith were hustled
and hoodwinked into regarding the GOP platform as a lost
gospel."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQpYwEGS3tU&feature=related
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:41 pm

As a heathen (norse pagan), one of the most common critisisms that I hear from Christians is that their morals are so much higher than ours, that their book spells out the best way to live. While I feel there is little point in debating the moral codes of the Bible and Hamaval, as each believer assumes the rightness of thier own source, I continually note that most heathens actually do succeed in living by our code both joyfully and successfully, while Christians seem to be divided evenly into hypocrites and victims; the hypocrites generally in charge.

For too long hypocrites have used the most extreme and unforgiving interpretation of scripture to use the Bible like a whip to scourge any who would think or question, driving true seekers from the faith and retaining only those who feel no need to question, or no problem in saying one thing and doing another (sheep and those who shear them).

I sometimes wonder if Jesus came down to earth tomorrow, would he feel more at home in a heathen symbel, or a Christian church.

The world is filled with good and worthy Christians, it just seems that more and more they are not welcome in church. There is a reason most pagans don't follow the Christian church model, it seems to be self destructing in this generation,

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks John; you made some excellent points.

It's interesting how people tease out certain verses to harm others .... instead of showing a portion of the love we were commanded to show. "This is how they will know your are my disciples... by your love"

But people cannot hear or see love when folks are pointing fingers and shouting or boycotting.

Adults who attend church on a regular basis believe that the Christian youth are leaving the church - mainly - because they are not equipped to handle skepticism and atheism in colleges. I, on the other hand, think it's much more simple.

I think it's really hard to consider one's self to be "Christian" when, to so many folks, the label of "Christian" brings up images of Sarah Palin winking. (I don't want to be like her image.)

(Or Glen Beck's.)

I sometimes wonder if Jesus came down to earth tomorrow, would he feel more at home in a heathen symbol, or a Christian church.

That's a good question to ponder JT.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top