I finally found ya'll...!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I finally found ya'll...!!

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:44 pm

DotNot ~

I've driven thru St. Louis but never stopped or eaten there. If I ever do, I'll be sure to avoid the pizza. Could Provel be a form of the Italian provolone cheese (tho' I don't recall it having a bad smell)?
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 pm

world citizen wrote:I got a hankerin' for some good pickled fish.....

Oooooh, you are a daring one, aren't you?! LOL!

Told ya I was weird.

There is just something about it.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:49 pm

So, just how does one go about pickling a fish? Maybe it would be better if I didn't know?
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:49 pm

world citizen wrote:DotNot ~
Didn't realize from your posts that you weren't a "native" to the Philly area. Please forgive me if my tourist comment was a negative for you. I was just stating why Pat's is so well known and so popular. I lived for some years in South Jersey as well and EVERY diner could serve up a good one. Maybe you could try one just with the sauteed mushrooms (and onions, if digestible)?

Quite all right, WC, no offense taken. After all, I AM a tourist in Philly. Hubby heard about Pat's on some Food Network program which is why he wanted to go there specifically.

I'm still amazed that although neither of us will eat Cheez Whiz otherwise, it was fantastic on their cheesesteak.

Oddly, we've not found a diner in the Princeton, NJ area that had a very good cheesesteak. We haven't by any means tried many so probably just haven't hit a diner that makes a good one. My in-laws can't digest diner food anymore so don't ordinarily take us to such when we visit them.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:51 pm

world citizen wrote:So, just how does one go about pickling a fish? Maybe it would be better if I didn't know?

I buy it in a jar.

I think the wife might have a problem if I made my own.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

world citizen wrote:DotNot ~

I've driven thru St. Louis but never stopped or eaten there. If I ever do, I'll be sure to avoid the pizza. Could Provel be a form of the Italian provolone cheese (tho' I don't recall it having a bad smell)?

Btw, please simply call me Dot. That's what I generally go by in R/L anyway.

It's similar in appearance although more like Velveeta in texture. The stuff generally looks like Japanese udon noodles (those fat white worm-like ones) in the packaging.

Until I googled just now, I didn't know that it actually is made from a mixture of cheddar, Swiss and provolone, and the name is thought to be a meld of provolone and mozzarella since it's generally used as is mozzarella. Interesting.

Provel cheese ingredients and uses

The package shown that says Imo's (pronounced Ee-moe) is that of the local pizza chain best known for St. Louis-style pizza. So, that's the one to avoid unless you feel pizza-adventurous when here.

I'm spoiled, I'm sure, because hubby grew up in Brooklyn and got me hooked on NY-style pizza which is really delicious. Fortunately, we have a good NY-style place not far from where we live.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:16 pm

world citizen wrote:So, just how does one go about pickling a fish?

I'd guess that the process is similar to that for pickling vegetables...cooking the fish and then submerging them in seasoned vinegar.

My first husband used to like pickled eggs with a beer and raw hamburger sandwich. Of course, that was 40 years ago when everyone wasn't paranoid about eating good quality ground beef raw. The meat used for raw hamburger wiches was only certain lean cuts, ground and mixed with the maker's particular blend of herbs and spices.

This old German man who ran a tiny four-stool bar where ex used to get what he said were the best pickled eggs also made fantastic raw hamburger sandwiches. They're made with saltine crackers so that there's a distinct contrast of textures. I must say that the flavor of old Freddy's was quite marvelous.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:27 pm

MMMMmmmmmmmm
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, Freddy's were the best, ex said.

In general, there were some really wonderful German specialties around the Hays, KS area. Oktoberfest was the best time. There'd be all kinds of little booths set up by church groups and whatall, each claiming the very best bierochs, stuffed cabbage and other German foodstuffs. Talk about sausage! Damn, but you could get some fantastic ones of various kinds, nearly all homemade...with beer, of course.

By the time we'd get finished making the rounds, there's no way anyone was safe to drive home. Naturally, just about everybody in town was drunk all weekend anyway but the cops and hardcore fundie Protestants. You just hoped you could avoid cops and get home without any crunching. I honestly recall hearing of guys who'd gotten tickets for WWI--walking while intoxicated. Lotta fines for relieving oneself too publicly, also.

The weekend's motto tended to be, "Hell yes, I'm driving. I'm too damn' drunk to walk." Truly a wonder more people weren't killed. But gawds, the food was fantastic.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:40 am

I've heard of bierochs! We call them runza's here, there is even a fast food place that sells them. A large percentage of the Lincoln pop stems from what they like to call the "Germans from Russia". My father in law used to say that they were just Polack's in denial. (None of my family is really PC, by the way)

Anyway, my wife's mom etc are all German. Bierochs are good eating.

Of course, my family is 1/2 and 1/2 Norwegian and Swedish. There are some interesting foods there too.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Welcome WC. Been a long time!
little late in arrival for the food talk.
I grew up In Reading PA. About 50 miles from Philly.
I moved to Maryland, went to a "Mom and Pop" sandwich shop and ordered
"a Lg Cheese Steak With Grilled Onions and no sauce on a soft roll"
and got stared at...
They had no clue that there is a choice of sandwich rolls, hard crust or soft crust.
They just don't know how to cook round here! I have gotten sick more times then not going out to eat here! No Dutch Diners. I do all the cooking.
Scraple. Dot. if you up the corn meal percentage it will hold together better during frying get extra crispy gold in all that yummy butter.
My wifes grandfather left us in on that secret. The only one we wanted to know.
hexpainter

http://www.hexpainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks, Hexp, but I'll stick with my proportions. I don't like scrapple that's terribly dense which adding more cornmeal would do. Mine turns out crispycrusty on the outside and fairly soft in the middle...just the way I like it!

It'd cook up quicker if I followed your suggestion, I bet, but I really don't mind testing to see if the spoon stands up or not. Kinda fun for cookery weirdos like me...ain't that a thrillseeking life for ya?

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top