I finally found ya'll...!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I finally found ya'll...!!

Post by world citizen on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:38 pm

So this is the new meet & greet religion central? I like it! Nice to see so many names I recognize from (sold once again) Beliefnet.
If I bring my own beverage, mind if I join the party?
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Re: I finally found ya'll...!!

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Yay!!!!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Greetings, WC!

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:13 pm

By all means! Jump right in. LOL

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 pm

I've brought my cuppa tea with me (being the Brit that I am), but I still need some time to get the lay of the land around here. Thanks to all for the welcome! How're you doing, sacrificialgoddess?
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Welcome, WC! I just bought a box of PG Tips, myself.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Welcome, WC!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi gillyflower! Good to see you here. There are days when I'd give an eyetooth for a pork pasty, but then I'd give an eyetooth for a real Philly cheesesteak some days too. LOL! A number of things I miss living in the South but I've come to love it down here.
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome Beribee! Looking forward to getting to know you...
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Hey! Want an apple with peanut butter?
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Hey BD! I used to prefer banana with the PB but, if the truth be known, after living in PA for a few years I developed a taste for apple butter. A jar of peanut butter now would last me six months.
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:33 am

world citizen wrote:Hi gillyflower! Good to see you here. There are days when I'd give an eyetooth for a pork pasty, but then I'd give an eyetooth for a real Philly cheesesteak some days too. LOL! A number of things I miss living in the South but I've come to love it down here.
Hi WC, welcome!! Now you've made me hungry. As a Yankee living in Dixie one of the things I miss most is a decent cheesesteak.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:14 am

Heartily agreed, TPaine. Honestly, the travesties that are labeled cheesesteaks most everywhere anymore are just plain sad.

An authentic cheesesteak DOES NOT have green peppers on it!

You and World C will understand, I expect, why one of our must-do's on our first visit to Philadelphia was to get a cheesesteak wit' at Pat's. And disgusting though I find Cheez Whiz ordinarily, it becomes something magical on one of their cheesesteaks.

< sigh > I'm drooling.

We've found that a nice Delmonico or ribeye thinly sliced and sauteed alongside some slivered onions makes a pretty decent homemade cheesesteak. Wish we could get rolls as good as those in the Northeast. The ones here are pretty good but not quite.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:20 am

world citizen wrote:Hey BD! I used to prefer banana with the PB but, if the truth be known, after living in PA for a few years I developed a taste for apple butter. A jar of peanut butter now would last me six months.

Mmmmmm....apple butter on raisin bread toast! That's one thing that Waffle House does right.

I should avoid gluten, but occasionally I pick up a jar of Knudsen's apple butter at Whole Foods and go nuts with it on raisin bread toast.

Knudsen's isn't overly spiced and seems to us to use better apples than other brands.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:13 am

I love apple butter!
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Wow! It's like old home week here for ex-New Englanders!

My first introduction to apple butter was in Lancaster, PA, and it was made by the Amish. The last time I visited Philly, I drove and took a BIG cooler with me. Went to the Reading Market the day before I was to drive home and filled that sucker up with all the goodies I can't get in the South - including shaved steak and Amoroso loaves for cheesesteaks, and Habbersetts sausages & scrapple. My freezer looked like I'd stocked up for Armageddon.

Well, that was years ago and I'm now back to memories only...

Florida seems to be the only state in the south that has Amoroso's hard-crusted rolls, and even that seems to be only where the snowbirds gather (not in the panhandle).
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Mmmmm...scrapple!

Well, actually, I prefer the fake scrapple I make from cooking down the turkey carcass and straining the resulting stock. The real thing is a bit dense and heavy for my tastes.

Takes around two quarts of stock to two cups of cornmeal, salt to taste and cook it until a wooden spoon will stand upright. That's when I add the meaty bits I picked off the bones. Sometimes, I stir in some shredded carrots, too, but usually I'm a purist...nothing but the turkey.

Dump it into a 9"x5" loaf pan that has been rinsed with cold water, let it cool a bit, cover and stick in the fridge to chill thoroughly.

Slice and fry it until golden brown and a bit crusty in nothing but good unsalted butter and drown with real maple syrup. Yummylicious!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Scrapple....?

You guys are weird.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm weird to, I just don't eat scrapple.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm not a from-scratch type of cook (except for casseroles, meat loaves, that sort of thing) and I give you kudos for being one. Regardless of other scrapples I've tried though, Habbersetts is the only brand I give a full two thumbs up.

Sorry, DotNot, but I have to disagree with you about Pat's in South Philly being THE place to go. Any diner in the tri-state area around Philly knows how to make a proper cheesesteak or they'd be out of business. The Melrose at Broad & Snyder or (one of my favorites) the South Street Diner at Two Street make really great cheesesteaks/cheesesteak hoagies. The difference with Pat's is that cheesesteaks are all it serves, so it's more like an assembly line which makes it a unique experience for tourists.

While I agree that a regular cheesesteak does NOT automatically come with green peppers, you might find that until you've ordered one with "the works" - mushrooms, onions AND green peppers - your taste buds haven't known heaven.
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Scrapple....?

You guys are weird.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm weird to, I just don't eat scrapple.
DotNot makes it from turkey but the Amish and Pennsy Dutch make it from whatever else doesn't get used after cooking a pig. I suppose, like scotch, it's an acquired taste. I'm sure there are things you might eat that I'd be leery of... Been in the South for 23 years and I still won't eat collard or turnip greens, 'tho being originally from England, I wouldn't think of making a stew without turnips. Go figure?
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm

world citizen wrote:Sorry, DotNot, but I have to disagree with you about Pat's in South Philly being THE place to go.

You're more than entitled to disagree. What would I know being only a tourist?

Any diner in the tri-state area around Philly knows how to make a proper cheesesteak or they'd be out of business. The Melrose at Broad & Snyder or (one of my favorites) the South Street Diner at Two Street make really great cheesesteaks/cheesesteak hoagies.

Will definitely make note of those since my in-laws now live only about a good 40 minute drive from Philly. Yeah, makes sense that any diner there would have to make a decent cheesesteak.

While I agree that a regular cheesesteak does NOT automatically come with green peppers, you might find that until you've ordered one with "the works" - mushrooms, onions AND green peppers - your taste buds haven't known heaven.

My tastebuds might be in heaven, but it wouldn't take long for my digestive tract to be in hell. Green peppers and it do not relate peaceably. In my impending dotage, I've gotten smarter and refuse to eat the things.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:32 pm

world citizen wrote:
DotNot makes it from turkey but the Amish and Pennsy Dutch make it from whatever else doesn't get used after cooking a pig. I suppose, like scotch, it's an acquired taste. I'm sure there are things you might eat that I'd be leery of... Been in the South for 23 years and I still won't eat collard or turnip greens, 'tho being originally from England, I wouldn't think of making a stew without turnips. Go figure?

I got a hankerin' for some good pickled fish.....

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:38 pm

DotNot ~

Didn't realize from your posts that you weren't a "native" to the Philly area. Please forgive me if my tourist comment was a negative for you. I was just stating why Pat's is so well known and so popular. I lived for some years in South Jersey as well and EVERY diner could serve up a good one. Maybe you could try one just with the sauteed mushrooms (and onions, if digestible)?

I'm also approaching the age (stage?) where I need to be more careful of what I swallow. I've found lately that my stomach is no longer made of cast iron.
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:38 pm

world citizen wrote:I'm sure there are things you might eat that I'd be leery of...

I think it's interesting how many regional and local specialties there are.

St. Louis has a particular type of pizza that as far as I've been able to determine is exclusive to the city...thankfully! because it's truly horrible.

The crust is thin and crispy like a saltine cracker with sugary sweet sauce that hardly has any basil or oregano in it. Worst of all is the cheese, a locally made processed crap called Provel that smells like dirty gym socks. You can't tell it's not mozzarella from the looks of the stuff on a pizza, but one good sniff and you sure can.

Be aware that if you order pizza almost anywhere in St. Louis, even the pizza chains, you'll get Provel unless you specifically demand mozzarella. Metro natives prefer St. Louis pizza. Why, I can't imagine. It's completely disgusting.

I've heard that the only places in the metro where you can get a decent marinara sauce are the authentic Italian ones in the area called The Hill which used to be the Italian section. Anywhere else we've eaten Italian, they put far too much sugar in it.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:41 pm

I got a hankerin' for some good pickled fish.....

Oooooh, you are a daring one, aren't you?! LOL!
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top